Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice control not hearing anything

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have experienced this at random intervals, ever since I got my Model 3 in August last year. Obviously it is always deaf when there is no mobile signal, since the voice decoding is done centrally, but it can happen other times as well. I have found that a reboot will normally re-insert the hearing aid, but not always.

I have experienced this at random intervals, ever since I got my Model 3 in August last year. Obviously it is always deaf when there is no mobile signal, since the voice decoding is done centrally, but it can happen other times as well. I have found that a reboot will normally re-insert the hearing aid, but not always.

Based on similar experience as you, and paying particular attention to connectivity status, I feel that all (at least vast majority of) problems / inconsistency relate to back-end processing. Based on what you see on the IC and MCU screens (MS) it does appear to be a multi-stage process where part of the process involves initial speech recognition, followed by a secondary process that might be carried out back in the vehicle. I get the impression that the overall voice-command process can fail at different points, but the most common for me is just 'no response'.

I have definitely seen many situations where 'signal strength' (3G, LTE or WiFi) is very strong, but the voice command system just doesn't react. Less of a problem for me is the frequent failure of Netflix to function, with a simple 'unavailable' message, also with (supercially) strong connectivity signal level.

I wonder if the layer where at least some of the problems originate relates to Tesla's VPN and communication security system.

Same since I got the car nearly a year ago. I think the rebooting has no effect, it's just coincidental but makes you feel like its done something. Generally if it doesn't work, hit the button on screen to cancel and try again. Everytime I do this it works but may take 5 or more attempts until it works, no reboot required. I only use it to find music selections, its inability to recognize "Call" "Phone" "Dial" "Ring" in my normal British accent is a little tiresome!

I think it is a connectivity issue. I reckon the car digitises the sound and sends it to a server to translate it into speech. So if the file cannot upload within a few seconds, you get nothing. The car, unaided, does not offer voice recognition.

Sometimes though, there are software connectivity problems beyond lack of signal. Which is probably why a reboot can sometimes cure it. Obviously if there is no signal it will never work.

I got a fail today in a strong (actually 5G) signal area, so will try a hard reboot if it recurs.

This happens to my MCU1 car every attempt with voice. Supposedly the car needs to connect to CA for voice command processing and I think MCU1 and or background noise from driving confuses it. Works fine if stationary but never on first attempt otherwise. I wait for the pulsing rings around the microphone icon before speaking and then know it is connected.

Lots of this again this morning. But maybe an improvement as instead of totally ignoring me, it at least gave a connectivity error on screen.

I checked LTE bars and got full bars but, unlike when it originally occurred, I can see on TeslaFi lots of 408/Timeouts and my journey is fill of lots of straight as crow flies segments.

Sometimes I think the connectivity icon has a lag. often my Spotify will stop and say "network error", even though the car is showing 4/5 bars of LTE signal. A couple of minutes later it's showing no signal, so it's like the signal indicator is lagging behind. I also get the failed voice control sometimes, too.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Lots of this again this morning. But maybe an improvement as instead of totally ignoring me, it at least gave a connectivity error on screen.

I checked LTE bars and got full bars but, unlike when it originally occurred, I can see on TeslaFi lots of 408/Timeouts and my journey is fill of lots of straight as crow flies segments.

I think there is something very informative in that. I don't always get the connectivity error message, but certainly have seen it at the same time as strong LTE or 3G signal, so it isn't as simple as poor radio signal strength.

Sometimes I think the connectivity icon has a lag. often my Spotify will stop and say "network error", even though the car is showing 4/5 bars of LTE signal. A couple of minutes later it's showing no signal, so it's like the signal indicator is lagging behind. I also get the failed voice control sometimes, too.

I have certainly perceived some delay between a change in WiFi environment and the car showing current reality. In fact, sometimes only a reboot seems to force correct display of wireless networks. It's quite possible / likely that there are lags in display and handing over to new networks, especially if it can't find adequate signal strength on the existing connected network.

Last edited: