Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

voice recognition gone to hell?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since 2.9.12 my voice recognition sucks donkey balls.

Unknown command
Or produces a totally non sensical result

Did they change the algorithm?

Strange; mine failed to recognise the most basic command "Play The Beatles" until after they gave me 2.9.12. Now it works better than expected. Perhaps a reboot is needed to clear out the electronic ear wax.

Voice recognition in my MS is the first one that actually works for me on a fairly consistent basis. I see no difference between 6.2 and 7.0, and have been pretty amazed how good a job it does compared to Siri. I find keeping the windows up, sunroof closed, then holding the MS button down and waiting for the message to show up on the IC while speaking clearly and just a little slower, works pretty well for me.

FWIW, I had zero voice recognition success with my former BMW and both Lexus Hybrids that I drove for 10 years -- and gave up trying within a few weeks of taking delivery, although others on those forums reported it worked fine for them. My MBZ did a pretty good job, but I had to go through it's custom training process to get myself understood. I honestly believe success with voice recognition has a lot to do with tone and accents off of whatever "the standard" may be a particular mfgr designs and tests for ... e.g. English isn't the same English to everyone around the world: Lots of people may speak English and others in their same region easily understand what's being said, but at times it can be harder for some people to comprehend folks from other regions even in the same country, just as it is for me to sometimes understand (overseas) call center folks where English may well be their second-language.

Mine has stopped working as well. It's not that it doesn't recognize - it doesn't even try.

You can tell the difference in how fast it says: "Unrecognized command". For voice recognition to work they need to upload it to a central server for processing. It's very obviously not doing this upload since it comes back almost instantaneously. The car has internet connectivity, but it doesn't upload the voice recognition requests anymore - and the most likely cause it is it can't find the server.

So I figured Tesla shut down the 6.x voice recognition servers, since I'm refusing to upgrade to 7.x.

My voice recognition has gone completely to crap. I just got the car in November. For the first several weeks, the voice recognition worked flawlessly. REALLY impressive. Much better than Siri for me.

Now? I literally can't get it to do anything. For a while it spent inordinately long "thinking" and often returned nonsense results. Now it immediately cuts me off and says "audio unclear" or something along those lines.

I don't see any definitive explanation or solution in this thread. Does anyone know if this is a known issue that has been hashed out more thoroughly elsewhere?