TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

voice recognition gone to hell?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by hemants, Dec 18, 2015.

1. hemants

hemants Member

#1 hemants, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2015
    Ever since 2.9.12 my voice recognition has been terrible.

Unknown command
    Or produces a totally non sensical result

Did they change the algorithm?

2. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

Stick your iPhone mount in the middle of the touchscreen and use Siri - it is 1000 times better than my MS' voice recognition... and it is actually useful, too!

Come on Tesla. Surely this aspect of an MS (or, indeed, any Tesla) should be a priority?

3. Ames

Ames Member

Strange; mine failed to recognise the most basic command "Play The Beatles" until after they gave me 2.9.12. Now it works better than expected. Perhaps a reboot is needed to clear out the electronic ear wax.

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I wouldn't know if it got worse because I stopped using it completely 2 years ago. Siri is much better, but can't do everything the car should be able to do.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I use it sometimes for "Drive to ..." and it works okay. Because it doesn't find songs on a thumb drive, navigation is the only use I have for it.

6. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Mine used to be extremely reliable. Now still works well but always seems to not recognize the first attempt. Second seems to work fine.

7. green1

green1 Active Member

No issues noticed here, and I do use it a fair amount.

8. BertL

BertL Active Member

Voice recognition in my MS is the first one that actually works for me on a fairly consistent basis. I see no difference between 6.2 and 7.0, and have been pretty amazed how good a job it does compared to Siri. I find keeping the windows up, sunroof closed, then holding the MS button down and waiting for the message to show up on the IC while speaking clearly and just a little slower, works pretty well for me.

FWIW, I had zero voice recognition success with my former BMW and both Lexus Hybrids that I drove for 10 years -- and gave up trying within a few weeks of taking delivery, although others on those forums reported it worked fine for them. My MBZ did a pretty good job, but I had to go through it's custom training process to get myself understood. I honestly believe success with voice recognition has a lot to do with tone and accents off of whatever "the standard" may be a particular mfgr designs and tests for ... e.g. English isn't the same English to everyone around the world: Lots of people may speak English and others in their same region easily understand what's being said, but at times it can be harder for some people to comprehend folks from other regions even in the same country, just as it is for me to sometimes understand (overseas) call center folks where English may well be their second-language.

9. spottyq

spottyq Member

A long shot, but could it be linked to the noise cancellation issues mentioned in this thread ?

It's easy to test, just call someone while driving using the car's BT connection and ask them if they understand you normally. If they don't, the car probably also get bad audio for voice commands, so it obviously has difficulties understanding you.

10. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

#10 GlmnAlyAirCar, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2015
    thanks for the alert-moderators

11. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Men's never worked since day one, always unknown command or a error of the sort. the ONLY command I have EVER gotten to work was "Bug Report" heh

12. deonb

deonb Active Member

Mine has stopped working as well. It's not that it doesn't recognize - it doesn't even try.

You can tell the difference in how fast it says: "Unrecognized command". For voice recognition to work they need to upload it to a central server for processing. It's very obviously not doing this upload since it comes back almost instantaneously. The car has internet connectivity, but it doesn't upload the voice recognition requests anymore - and the most likely cause it is it can't find the server.

So I figured Tesla shut down the 6.x voice recognition servers, since I'm refusing to upgrade to 7.x.

13. Yitt

Yitt Member

My voice recognition has gone completely to crap. I just got the car in November. For the first several weeks, the voice recognition worked flawlessly. REALLY impressive. Much better than Siri for me.

Now? I literally can't get it to do anything. For a while it spent inordinately long "thinking" and often returned nonsense results. Now it immediately cuts me off and says "audio unclear" or something along those lines.

I don't see any definitive explanation or solution in this thread. Does anyone know if this is a known issue that has been hashed out more thoroughly elsewhere?

14. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

Have you tried re-booting? Hold down the top steering wheel buttons on both sides for a few seconds to reboot dash display. Ditto for the touch screen (but hold until the 'T' appears). MW