Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen Is Ordered to Recall Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Emissions Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mr. Austin Powers, do you have the Kia Soul EV in your country? I think you might find it "groooovy".

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to test drive one yet. It is available in Germany, a little cheaper than the e-Golf.
Funny, I just looked it up, the wheels/rims look almost identical to those on the e-Golf.
I am not so sure about the looks though to be honest. "Grooovy" is not the first thing that comes to mind actually. I think it looks a bit like a Skoda Roomster. Have to check it out though. I try to keep an open mind. After all I also test drove the i3, even though I hate the looks. But you can't really discuss it without at least having driven it once, can you.

- - - Updated - - -

I had assumed that, for myself, too. I don't know what your incentives / tax advantages are in Germany, compared to here, so perhaps not as advantageous, and my high mileage (fuel saving potential) helps the maths a lot.
We have Economy-7 discounted night time electricity - that is 50% cheaper than day time (and also 50% cheaper/better than Tesla website illustrations). Also, the car will be charged at work, say, 50:50 compared to home.

There are also some grants here - £ 5,000 government grant on purchase of a BEV and £ 500 from Tesla to install the home charger (and a second £500 for work / holiday home too)

Taking all those together I can continue to pay the current £ 600 p.m finance plus the £ 220 fuel saving, plus some tax efficiency and thus £900 p.m. would be "Much the same" for me.

Any chance that would work similarly for you too?

Sadly, no. Incentives for private owners in Germany are practically zero. Five years no road tax from 2016 onwards (which would be applicable, because I could never manage to get the car in 2015) which amounts to a couple of hundreds of Euro in total.
I also drive too little, less than 9000 km per year. So not much in terms of fuel savings. Even less because I already drive a very economical Diesel, and electricity is very expensive over here (between 25 and 30 Eurocents per kWh, no special nighttime discounts available where we live). No chance to charge at work either (and I wouldn't dream of going into Frankfurt city center every day by car anyway as I my employer offers me a huge discount on public transport tickets, which is why I commute by train).
Add to that the fact that maintenance costs for a Model S are far higher than what I have to pay currently, the whole economics just wouldn't add up.

And I am not even getting started about what we have to pay for our mortgages...

Add to that the fact that maintenance costs for a Model S are far higher than what I have to pay currently

You're referring to the recommended annual maintenance? Many owners here are of the opinion you can safely skip it (though you do have to change your own key fob batteries and wiper blades then). At least in the US, there's no impact on the warranty. I haven't hit my one-year anniversary yet, but I suspect I'll skip it. (... Have we had this conversation before? I'm getting déjà vu, but maybe it was someone else.)

Can't help you with the high cost of electricity, sorry. :)

You're referring to the recommended annual maintenance? Many owners here are of the opinion you can safely skip it (though you do have to change your own key fob batteries and wiper blades then). At least in the US, there's no impact on the warranty. I haven't hit my one-year anniversary yet, but I suspect I'll skip it. (... Have we had this conversation before? I'm getting déjà vu, but maybe it was someone else.)

Can't help you with the high cost of electricity, sorry. :)

+1

I've got >75k miles on my Tesla... Only been serviced twice. The maintenance for a Jetta might be cheaper since a small ~120HP car doesn't eat tires as a fast as a large >400HP car but that's not really an apples/apples comparison...

So Germany had some pretty massive clean power incentives and subsidies, but only a couple hundred euro for an EV? Pretty sure it's the German auto lobby that is preventing EV adoption.

Germany does have massive incentives and subsidies for companies/businesses. The incentives for consumers are indeed negligable unfortunately.
But that has almost always been the case in Germany.
Consumers are just there to pay taxes which can then be wasted on subsidies for businesses. Perfect lobby effectiveness at work here indeed. :mad:

According to AutoWeek, you waive a trial by jury, but can still sue only for vehicle emissions. So all other claims are waived.

VW DIESEL SCANDAL Porsche and Audi halt 3.0-liter TDI V6 sales amid diesel crisis
Porsche has issued a stop-sale order for the 2014 through 2016 model year Cayenne Diesel, with Audi halting sales of a number of its models that also use the 3.0-liter TDI engine, Automotive News ...
Germany will retest all current Volkswagen Group models sold in the country to gauge their actual emissions levels after this week's revelation by the automaker that some 800,000 gas and diesel cars may exceed advertised levels of CO2, Reuters reports.

The move by the Transport Ministry comes on the heels of a disclosure by the automaker that several 1.4-liter and 1.6-liter diesel engines, in addition to at least one gasoline engine in Audi, Volkswagen, Skoda and SEAT cars could be producing higher levels of CO2 than stated. The disclosure came after VW itself instituted a program of retesting cars for emissions, a move taken as part of an internal investigation by the company following the revelations of emissions-cheating software in 2.0-liter diesel engines in late September of this year.

VW has pointed out that the CO2 issue is not a mechanical fault with the cars themselves, but rather an "inconsistency" that is believed to be the result of inaccurate emissions testing. As such, a recall for the 800,000 cars is not currently planned. The majority of the affected vehicles were sold in Europe, and no recalls in the U.S. are expected.

VW Golf lineup
VW DIESEL SCANDAL Volkswagen avoids setback with hefty deals
To use the funds, customers will have to jump through a few hoops. A vehicle identification number must be used at a VW website, Volkswagen Diesel Information, to see whether a car and owner is eligible under the offer. If a customer’s vehicle is covered, the owner must enter contact information and the current odometer mileage. Customers will then receive the prepaid cards in the mail within four weeks, VW said.

To activate the cards, customers must bring them into a dealership, along with the eligible vehicle, a driver’s license and proof of ownership.

A VW spokeswoman said the goodwill program does not include a waiver of legal claims stemming from the company’s emissions violations. The program’s terms and conditions include a trial by jury waiver, but that waiver only extends to claims related to the compensation program and does not affect a customer’s right to sue VW for claims related to its 2.0-liter diesel emissions violations.

VW continues to work on repair plans with the EPA and California’s Air Resources Board to bring the affected diesels into compliance with clean-air laws, VW’s statement said.

VW has said that each of the three generations of 2.0-liter diesel engines containing the illegal software will require different repairs. About 325,000 of the vehicles using the first generation of VW’s 2.0-liter diesel will require software and hardware changes, Horn told a panel of U.S. lawmakers on Oct. 8. Those changes could be extensive.

About 67,000 newer vehicles with the third-generation diesel meet emissions standards and can be made compliant with a software update alone, Horn told lawmakers.

The roughly 90,000 2012-14 Passats using the second-generation 2.0-liter diesel will need a software update, but it’s unclear if they will need hardware changes also.

VW offers 'goodwill package' to appease diesel owners originally appeared on

Read more: VW offers $500 cash card to existing TDI owners and $500 for a new Volkswagen

U.S. Sens. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and Edward J. Markey (D-MA), who "blasted the package.”
“This offer is an insultingly inadequate amount – a fig leaf attempting to hide the true depths of Volkswagen’s deception,” they said in a statement. “The company should state clearly and unequivocally that every owner has the right to sue. It should offer every owner who wants to keep her car full compensation for the loss of resale value, fuel economy, and other damage caused by its purposeful deception.”

vw.jpg

accept Musk didn't utter "Volkswagen". He didn't have to.

According to AutoWeek, you waive a trial by jury, but can still sue only for vehicle emissions. So all other claims are waived.

AutoWeek? This is a Tesla site, boy! Just kidding. I guess some of us haunt tdiclub and rennlist, by some of the cross-posting I see. I don't believe there to be any legal give-up to receiving VW's "goodwill". LA Times ran a story suggesting the normal debit card arbitration clause could be stretched to cover the VW's people bought. Doesn't make sense, to me.

We had some analysts in, who were recently across from Daimler, and said how ticked Benz was at VW supposing to all who would listen, "we all do it". They all probably fudge, a little, but on this one VW is very much alone. I'm curious how the EPA meeting has been going, this week. We should soon find out. I'm going to go on a limb and bet they arrive at SCR retro-fits, and hope no one shows up. The whole game will be to see how few cars they can fix. Maybe CA does it differently, but their trick mod will still fool most other state inspections.

There shouldn't be a period after hospital since hospitals don't have great air quality and a lot of people get sick from the airborne diseases in hospitals. In fact, hospital-acquired infection (HAI) is an important public health issue with unacceptable levels of morbidity and mortality, over the last 5 years. That's why he said "hospital's operating room". There's a huge difference and we don't need misquotes for the FUD crowd to jump on since I would think most people don't even like to breathe when going into hospitals. I know I don't.

I work in a number of different hospitals, and while I spend most of my time in the OR, I do of course walk through common areas and I don't worry about inhaling. But you should be aware that most hospital acquired infections occur via contact with a contaminated surface (equipment used on patients, skin to skin contact, etc.). A smaller percentage are airborne contamination). Patients who have airborne transmissible infections are kept in specific rooms and staff use a specific set of contact precautions when interacting with them.
In any case, you are correct that when Elon was describing the HEPA air filtration in the X he specifically stated that it achieved air filtration levels comparable to a hospital operating room.

Last edited:
We had some analysts in, who were recently across from Daimler, and said how ticked Benz was at VW supposing to all who would listen, "we all do it". They all probably fudge, a little, but on this one VW is very much alone.
I was at a seminar yesterday and was talking to the guy next to me. Turns out he had been involved in some independent emissions testing several (SEVERAL) years ago, to do with hardware and software development for downstream testing (equivalent to the old Air Care in BC). Their test subjects for the most part were big three gas ICE cars. He said they saw anomalies between road tests and on the lift tests that couldn't be explained... that is, until the VW scandal broke. They were suspicious but that's as far as they took it. He has no doubt they're all doing it and have been getting away with it for years.

Call me cynical, but I don't doubt his opinion...

Bosch is being investigated by US Feds:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/19/us-volkswagen-emissions-probe-exclusive-idUSKCN0T82Q320151119

I guess it was only a matter of time. I don't see how Bosch could not have at least known about what VW was doing since they built the engine management system. Could VW have created the "defeat" software on their own?... I don't think so.

Bosch provides the engine control module, called EDC17, and basic software for nearly all the four-cylinder diesel cars sold in North America, including by Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE), BMW AG (BMWG.DE) and Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz (DAIGn.DE). Those systems regulate how a vehicle cleans burned-up fuel before it is expelled as exhaust.
Read more at Reutershttp://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/19/us-volkswagen-emissions-probe-exclusive-idUSKCN0T82Q320151119#FTi4D0yPYb5RTmiP.99

Volkswagen Admits All 3.0-Liter Diesels Have Cheat Software
It's not just the four-cylinder diesels that are dirty. Every 3.0-liter V6s is also affected

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...30-liter-diesels-have-cheat-software-as-well/

This diesel emissions scandal was never going to go away quickly, but it's continually gotten worse for Volkswagen.The latest bad news for the company came out today when the EPA confirmed in an email that the company had admitted its 3.0-liter V6 TDI engines also use the cheat software.
"During a meeting yesterday, VW and Audi officials told EPA that the issues EPA identified in the November 2nd NOV extend to all 3.0 liter diesel engines from model years 2009 through 2016. EPA and CARB will continue to investigate and will take all appropriate action," wrote the EPA's Julia Valentine.

A huge number of vehicles will be affected by this news, but it's also a confirmation that the company continued to use its cheating software up until the scandal broke. Things may have just gotten much more expensive for Volkswagen.