Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vote on software features/bugs to fix in 7.1 and beyond

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the current method of writing posts in this forum or tweeting at Elon is going to yield consistent results. However, if we can start developing and culling an idea list then it might be more powerful and we would hopefully see some very positive change that is sourced in a way that is consumable by Tesla.

In order to help in this process I put together a pretty rough and ready list of major areas as well as an idea or two for each. You will be able to vote and add features/bugs that you would like to see voted on as well. This way the ideas can be quickly shared and bubbled to the top if they really resonate. The system is trivial, easy to use, and run by an online company called tricider.com.

A few important points.

• You will need a login. This is to prevent spam. I know we will lose some people right there but a spammed voting system is useless and not very credible
  • Please try to limit your descriptions and comments to 100 words or less.
  • If you think I am missing a category please let me know and I will add it
  • Elon refers to 7.1 in his tweeted request. Typically a minor release is more about bug fixes and small features vs. significant overhaul. Don't restrict your thinking to 7.1 but do keep that in mind as some things just are not going to be feasible or quick wins.

If I get the time I will go through and add some of the feature request lists I have already seen on the forum. That is a lot of work so if you want to help I would be happy to take on more of an editor role vs. attempting to read every message and interpret your intent.

Okay, all caveats and rambling over. Here are the lists.

I hope you find this useful. Please feel free to feedback or comment on how it works or if you have a better idea for how we can crowdsource and prioritize some great ideas for our favourite car.

Korbin, what is the link to the site that lists all the categories you've created? Or do we just have to use direct links to each one?

Once you create a tricider ID, you can then click on your name in upper right corner, then "Tricider Overview" in that drop down. You'll see a list of all categories in which you've added and voted on. ...so, IMHO, once I clicked on each link from this thread, then voted and made a couple additions of my own, you can go directly to Tricider to see what's changed from then on.

I was unable to create a single page view. It seems that you also can't move features between categories without deleting and rewriting. Good news is that it seems to be working for everyone and there are quite a few votes already.

Supratachophobia: Sure, feel free to point out on reddit as well. The goal is to crowdsource those things that are important to the userbase. Tesla will have to make trade off decisions but at least they can have a somewhat organized view of what we would like to see.

Has someone tweeted these to Elon's feature request tweet?

Not to my knowledge. I was hoping we could get a more scalpeled approach to get someone specifically in charge of software dev to take a looksy. I don't want the significance/value of this site to get lost in the noise of Twitter while people are tweeting for a one-touch pizza button on the 17" screen.

Practically, we should either direct them to this thread since the first post has all the links OR email/tweet/text each link individually (there are at least 4) to whom it may concern.

Hi,

You could add a new category called "Hardware". There should be a category to add things like these:

• Adjustable headrests (Bjorn is a big fan)
  • Cargo fastener clamps in the trunk
  • Get rid of plastic seat backs
  • Get rid of the the plastic nosecone
  • Automated frunk opener
  • Coat hangers
  • Cup holders

Not to my knowledge. I was hoping we could get a more scalpeled approach to get someone specifically in charge of software dev to take a looksy. I don't want the significance/value of this site to get lost in the noise of Twitter while people are tweeting for a one-touch pizza button on the 17" screen.

Practically, we should either direct them to this thread since the first post has all the links OR email/tweet/text each link individually (there are at least 4) to whom it may concern.

If people were willing to do so we could tweet the top 10 features or so.... each of us can. I don't tweet though.

Hi,

You could add a new category called "Hardware". There should be a category to add things like these:

• Adjustable headrests (Bjorn is a big fan)
  • Cargo fastener clamps in the trunk
  • Get rid of plastic seat backs
  • Get rid of the the plastic nosecone
  • Automated frunk opener
  • Coat hangers
  • Cup holders

I *think* we wanted to keep this strictly software dev for the time being. The invitation was what we want to see in 7.1 and I, for one, would like to see as many of these great ideas as possible be implemented without any hardware needed. Don't get me wrong, hardware suggestions have their place and tesla is slowly knocking those out as well, but these software tweaks could potentially benefit 98% of the current fleet (depending on options of the car).

Agreed that we should focus on software. Mainly because it is easy to get wins that affect a large segment of the population. I am thinking that we "leave the polls open" for another few days then I can try to synthesize and push back to this thread. Watching the updates come in it is clear we are still in the "word is trickling out" phase. When voters dry up it will be a good time to refresh the categories and make sure features/bugs are lined up into relevant categories and make this a maintainable process for the long term.

I don't know about the rest of you but I see very obvious themes here where some effort and focus will probably help Tesla win over new customers and retain their passionate existing customers.

If you have ideas or thoughts to the contrary let me know.

Here's my list of Software update i would appreciate Seeing:

-Bring back colored Background while in Navigation (currently Dark grey), Bring a little bit of color to the Screen.
-Show Odometre permanently on the dash, as well Battery Status with % percentage & rate range Ideal range.
-Bring back the Speedometre on the center screen with Regen and power usage. Perhaps the Auto pilot feature on the Side.
-Allow to Search the NET with voice control, similar to Siri or google search : Where is the nearest Startbucks? What is the current weather forecast?
-Skins would be awesome. perhaps different color backgrounds.

I am sure I can think of a few more.

- - - Updated - - -

Battery Temperature status.
When using MAX POWER, It would be great to have an ETA of when the system will be ready.

Here's my list of Software update i would appreciate Seeing:

-Bring back colored Background while in Navigation (currently Dark grey), Bring a little bit of color to the Screen.
-Show Odometre permanently on the dash, as well Battery Status with % percentage & rate range Ideal range.
-Bring back the Speedometre on the center screen with Regen and power usage. Perhaps the Auto pilot feature on the Side.
-Allow to Search the NET with voice control, similar to Siri or google search : Where is the nearest Startbucks? What is the current weather forecast?
-Skins would be awesome. perhaps different color backgrounds.

I am sure I can think of a few more.

- - - Updated - - -

Battery Temperature status.
When using MAX POWER, It would be great to have an ETA of when the system will be ready.

Go enter them on the site so we can vote/comment. Most of them seem like good ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed that we should focus on software. Mainly because it is easy to get wins that affect a large segment of the population. I am thinking that we "leave the polls open" for another few days then I can try to synthesize and push back to this thread. Watching the updates come in it is clear we are still in the "word is trickling out" phase. When voters dry up it will be a good time to refresh the categories and make sure features/bugs are lined up into relevant categories and make this a maintainable process for the long term.

I don't know about the rest of you but I see very obvious themes here where some effort and focus will probably help Tesla win over new customers and retain their passionate existing customers.

If you have ideas or thoughts to the contrary let me know.

That's the idea. Thanks again for sharing all this. I posted on the TM forums but not a lot of action there. I think that site is made up mostly of fans, if not, then the owners don't care about software improvements. The reddit post had been pushed down to the 2nd page, but had quite a few upvotes.

Edit: Confirmed, on TM forum, the three responses to one post was either "I don't care" and/or "Goto TMC". The post to the specific Model S sub-section was deleted. Can't say we didn't try....

Last edited:
Hello all, just wanted to share a quick medium.com update. As we get closer to finalizing the current round of feature/bug requests I will do my best to summarize results and do a bit of de-duplication. Goal is to preserve the desires of the members but also make it easier to consume and prioritize.

It is tough to do multiple rounds of voting as audiences are fickle. Anyone have thoughts on that? Should we just summarize against the top priorities as they land and do another round of voting in a month or so?