Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already had 3 phase installed and it was a shortish run (6 metres) from the panel to the garage.
IIRC my sparky charged me about $1300 - $1500.

Thanks for sharing mate. Appreciate that truly. It's so expensive here in Australia and is very unregulated. At least with your input I have an idea already, just built a hous eand would like to include this kind of upgrade as well looking forward. Cheers.

3 phase cable is quite expensive, especially 6 sq mm which is suitable for 32 amps. You can save some money by buying it yourself from a wholesaler (just make sure you buy enough length for the cable run including bends and twists, and save yourself the sparky's mark-up). I actually am a bit handy, so i bought a length and also conduit, and ran the cable myself. I got the sparky in to make the connections - the act of running the cable is time consuming and a bit awkward as the cable is heavy, but you can save a real bundle doing it this way. While you are at it, buying the breaker and the junction boxes also can save you dough. (for these, get the sparky to tell you what you need and go out and get them yourself. there is no need to be a tradesperson to walk into a wholesaler. I have never been refused service. TLE, Turks, Ramax, one of these will be in your area.

there is no need to be a tradesperson to walk into a wholesaler. I have never been refused service. TLE, Turks, Ramax, one of these will be in your area.

No but the price varies depending on what your wearing... i walked into one near my house with wife and kids in toe $20 extra for a light compared to the one near my of office in a industrial estate i walked with hiv vis and safety boots much better price. and when the ask about company account saying that the office chick is on holidays you have to pay cash seems to get a better deal.

wholesalers mark down prices for electrical contractors.

Screen_Shot_2014-11-01_at_10.31.36_am.jpg

So the first of hopefully many CHAdeMO/ CSS type 1. fast chargers has started install. (apparently it's not powered yet next week)

Plugshare is now saying there are 5 DC fast chargers in WA. 2 x in Perth plus Bunbury, Bussleton and Margaret River.
Last week there was only one.

I've spent the past few days travelling up and down the Electric Highway, testing the fast chargers as they were being installed. (Bunbury on Monday, Busselton on Tuesday and Margaret River on Wednesday)

Each location has a fast charger with three leads (like the picture above) providing DC on two cables (CCS "combo" plug and CHAdeMO) and AC on a "Mennekes" connector
The Mennekes cable plugs directly into Model S, and you can get up to 12kW if you have a single charger and up to 24kW if you have dual chargers. It can provide up to 63A 3-phase power so 50kW if a capable vehicle existed...

With an adapter from Tesla we can use the CHAdeMO lead and get up to 46kW (onboard chargers not used, so single/dual makes no difference here)

There's also a seperate pedestal with a J1772 lead, which Model S can use with the appropriate adapter at up to 8kW - and it also has a 15A standard power socket on the back, eg for home-built / converted EVs and electric motorbikes.
In most cases this is in a separate parking space, so even if someone else is using the fast charger you can still get a small boost while you wait.

Also, on the fast chargers the AC and one of the DC leads can be used at the same time (they have a 100kW supply) so if you can make the cable reach you can charge at "medium" speeds while someone else is fast charging.
The Mandurah charger is installed, it just needs power. Hopefully in the next few days.
The other locations are all in various stages of preparation; I think Augusta and Harvey are next, with the rest to follow within the next 2-3 months.

I have a ton of photos, but have been asked by the RAC to wait until Monday before posting them onto the web.
They have organised an official Launch event in Margaret River, so there will be a few Teslas down that way on Monday.