Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great, thanks. 5,347 eligible PEVs titled in WA as of Aug 31. (Out of 7,500 available starting Jul 15 2015; numbers do not include the S and X which are not eligible). Will be interesting both to see much that number goes up when they post the Sep 30 numbers - and, how long it takes them to post the Sep 30 numbers.

We need to let Tesla know about the upcoming end of the program so they can push cars into Washington before it expires. If you have an S or X and are on the 3 list, contact your sales adviser to let them know the program is ending soon. I sent an email to corporate contacts on MYTESLA and emailed a SA that had tried to upgrade me to an S.

We need to let Tesla know about the upcoming end of the program so they can push cars into Washington before it expires. If you have an S or X and are on the 3 list, contact your sales adviser to let them know the program is ending soon. I sent an email to corporate contacts on MYTESLA and emailed a SA that had tried to upgrade me to an S.
I did send JonMc a message a couple weeks back outlining the tax exemption demise and recapping the past expediting of WA orders to get in before the previous exemption ended and he did send the following response back:
Hi Melinda -- thanks for your message. We've got a number of states and geographies to consider as we ramp production. The budget agreement in Washington may also raise the threshold. We'll keep a close eye on this for our Washington customers.
Thanks,
Jon​

Hmm, with news from Elon that it might be December before we see the design studio open for non-employees, I'm getting a bit more nervous about this timeline. Does anyone know more about what Jon from Tesla was referring to regarding the budget deal possibly raising the threshold?

I scanned the graph to a .pdf. Wild guess is March or April of 2018 to reach 7,500 unless there is a lot of year end discounts on Volt, Bolt, & Leaf. That assumes no Model 3 impact. If 300 Model 3s are sold in Jan and 300 in Feb the total would pass 7500 in Feb assuming 286 cars per month rate continues.

Attachments

• WA sales tax exemption.pdf
    169.6 KB · Views: 86
Nice. It looks like they included July 2016 to derive the 286 average but it is clearly not representing the changed law at only 79 vehicles. The numbers only really jump from August 2016. If you take the past 13 months back to then (excluding July 2016), the average is 301. There seems to be no exponential increase in the past year - very linear. So, excluding Model 3's, I think a 300/month projection is a good number to use - which takes us to early April as you suggested, with the tax exemption ending at end of May.

Hard to estimate how many model 3's would be sold in Washington before then - I guess there is a breakdown of tesla sales by state somewhere?? Though at the rate that M3 production is going, I don't think many people here are going to get a M3 before the tax exemption expires ...

Washington has a high concentration of Tesla owners and fans, second only to California. If the production ramp actually gets going, I expect the Model 3 to outpace the other combined electric vehicle purchases in the state and get us to 7500 much sooner than April. We could easily hit it in Jan and the tax exemption would end in Feb. My delivery estimate still says Dec-Feb. I am hopeful but also worried I won't make it in under the wire. Would be wonderful if Washington extended the exemption.

My delivery estimate just got pushed back a month. This is expected following the quarterly earnings and model 3 production news today. Surprised it's only a month actually.

This obviously reduces our chances of benefiting from the WA tax exemption, but not by a ton considering the sale rate of other EVs.

My delivery estimate just got pushed back a month. This is expected following the quarterly earnings and model 3 production news today. Surprised it's only a month actually.

This obviously reduces our chances of benefiting from the WA tax exemption, but not by a ton considering the sale rate of other EVs.
I guess you are just learning about Tesla Time.

• Funny
Reactions: UZJedi
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: UZJedi and taldric