Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting Room for MYP : February orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, but why is it frustrating? They paid before us.... Genuinely curious..
Because it even states that changing your config could change your delivery date. People didn’t order a MYP initially. If I switched to a MYLR now, I would expect to go to the end of the line because I didn’t order one when others did. In manufacturing you’re looking at parts lead time, qty, etc to build products and get them out. I can’t imagine anything else where you’d keep your spot in line while changing your config to where it would be a separate assembly line. I honestly think my suppliers would laugh at me if I told them I wanted to change a slight configuration and keep my same initial order date.
Why it is frustrating to me is that I was initially told I would get delivery by the end of Feb. then everyone changed configs and it pushed mine to where the SA is saying late March early April for a late January OD. So I had planned around the February date for work travel etc. and now I have to change plans as a result.
It’s simply my perspective but I can’t think of another company that would operate in that fashion.

Because it even states that changing your config could change your delivery date. People didn’t order a MYP initially. If I switched to a MYLR now, I would expect to go to the end of the line because I didn’t order one when others did. In manufacturing you’re looking at parts lead time, qty, etc to build products and get them out. I can’t imagine anything else where you’d keep your spot in line while changing your config to where it would be a separate assembly line. I honestly think my suppliers would laugh at me if I told them I wanted to change a slight configuration and keep my same initial order date.
Why it is frustrating to me is that I was initially told I would get delivery by the end of Feb. then everyone changed configs and it pushed mine to where the SA is saying late March early April for a late January OD. So I had planned around the February date for work travel etc. and now I have to change plans as a result.
It’s simply my perspective but I can’t think of another company that would operate in that fashion.
For parts lead time, it doesn’t apply to Tesla as much. In fact, there really isn’t that much of a difference between the various trims of the Y to begin with.

Wheels? They all install the same way, so they don’t need a separate production line, though maybe a separate input line or storage spot. Probably same for pedals.

Paint? Those flow through tubes from mixers that are all centralized to their own space, probably.

Spoiler for performance and hub caps for for 19” wheels are more likely to be installed at the delivery inspection at location anyway.

The only two things I can think of that really require a separate line or at least a sub-station are the 3rd row seats and tow installations.

Depending on highly automated and computer controlled the line is, they could just as easily be diverted for the installation and then reintegrated afterwards, just in a different position “in line.”

Going back to lead time. They make most of their parts in house anyway.

My guess for why deliveries change is the assumption they do things in batches. Maybe all the white exteriors at once (or at least whatever time period they choose). Maybe all 7 seaters or all MYP, etc.

By doing it in batches, you can increase efficiency for the people working the line. The less they have to switch between doing 5 seaters vs 7 seaters, the faster they usually become.

On the flip side, that means if you don’t have enough orders to fill a batch, you can either choose to wait longer or do the full batch with non#orders going out as “inventory.” So… orders getting delayed could be because they ended up in a partially filled batch…?

Last edited:
It feels like they people who ordered the MYP straight all have the march delivery. Seems like large waves will start rolling out for them as the time comes

This is just my own wishful thinking..

Next week, Elon will announce exciting improvements to the MYP builds beginning March 1st.

He'll announce the capabilities of our new 4D1 motors (30% more hp/tq).

The MY will come with a yoke steering wheel option (limited to Performance models only).

This is why there's so many of us in a holding pattern!

Reactions: SMak12
This is just my own wishful thinking..

Next week, Elon will announce exciting improvements to the MYP builds beginning March 1st.

He'll announce the capabilities of our new 4D1 motors (30% more hp/tq).

The MY will come with a yoke steering wheel option (limited to Performance models only).

This is why there's so many of us in a holding pattern!
Wait MY performance will have the yoke steering wheel option?

Reactions: Mr_Joe