Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a MYLR on order with an EDD in mid November (wishful thinking) and decided to have a wall charger installed in advance of delivery. Bought the Gen 3 18' on Tesla for $500. The electrician I use all the time charged me $450 to do the installation on a 60 amp circuit using copper 4 gauge wire in a conduit. The run was about 15 feet. Total cost $950 with a tax rebate of the wall unit.

I also have a 50 amp wall charger for my 2021 Prius Prime Electric/Hybrid.

Ready to charge any electric vehicle out there.

Reactions: Rocky_H
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I got my wall connector before the car, too. Was wondering if I should go ahead and get it installed now, or wait til I have the car to be able to verify it's proper installation on the same day the electrician hooks it up? Has anyone had a bad experience with their charging equipment not being installed properly?

You should install the Wall Connector now rather than wait; If there is a problem with the Wall Connector you would be able to exchange it before your Tesla arrives. Also, electricians tend to be booked weeks or more in advance. If you have a lead on a good electrician then go ahead and schedule the install.
Concur, and you could always seek out some local Tesla owners to drop by your house and ops check your WC.

• Love
Reactions: backeis and X-pilot
I also have a 50 amp wall charger for my 2021 Prius Prime Electric/Hybrid.

How do you like that Prime?

I looked at those once then found out about the 25 mile range and thought "Pah! What use is that?"

Then I thought about it some more

Then I realised that there are many days when I don't even do 25 miles, and if I did, it's probably one trip in the morning and one in the afternoon giving time for a quick recharge and if there wasn't tie for a recharge there's always the dinosaur burner to take me beyond 25 miles

I liked the Model S type screen too, but in the end I got the V and will soon get a Y

I also had a 2021 Prius prime limited. It was a great car. More basic features than my Model Y actually, but the 25 mile range proved too short. It was typically not more that 20 anyway. If the prime had a larger battery I would have kept it for sure.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
Was wondering if I should go ahead and get it installed now, or wait til I have the car to be able to verify it's proper installation on the same day the electrician hooks it up?
I've never even understood why this would be a question. Aside from it frequently being hard to book an electrician or having them postpone an appointment, the two choices make the decision for you:

1. Wall charger in first--no issue at all.
2. Car comes first--cumbersome, inconvenient, pain in the butt where you only have the slow 5-15 available.

So why would anyone consider letting option 2 happen?

Reactions: backeis
I suspect that in the 4th qtr, it's gonna get harder to find an installer as the L2 charger tax credit sunsets at the end of the year. There might be something that picks it up again next year but I haven't seen anything indicating that'll happen.

How do you like that Prime?

I looked at those once then found out about the 25 mile range and thought "Pah! What use is that?"

Then I thought about it some more

Then I realised that there are many days when I don't even do 25 miles, and if I did, it's probably one trip in the morning and one in the afternoon giving time for a quick recharge and if there wasn't tie for a recharge there's always the dinosaur burner to take me beyond 25 miles

I liked the Model S type screen too, but in the end I got the V and will soon get a Y
We have been getting a steady 30 miles on electric with our Prime. Most all days it never uses the engine. We are retired so most of our driving is local.

I got my wall connector before the car, too. Was wondering if I should go ahead and get it installed now, or wait til I have the car to be able to verify it's proper installation on the same day the electrician hooks it up? Has anyone had a bad experience with their charging equipment not being installed properly?
I would suggest parking your Tesla on the left side of the garage/carport. Have your guy install the charger near where the Tesla's left rear quarter panel will be when parked. You likely won't even need to uncoil the entire 18' cord.

Attachments

• Gen 3 Wall Connector Manual.jpg
    Gen 3 Wall Connector Manual.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Gen 3 Wall Connector Manual 2.jpg
    Gen 3 Wall Connector Manual 2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: backeis and jcanoe