Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Plug Over Heat Issue - Better 6-50 Receptable? (Using Mobile Charger)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a 14-50 that specifically says it'll work with aluminum conductors:

Other than the HPWC install guide, which is very specific and says CU only(when connecting to the HPWC!), there's nothing to my knowledge saying you can't use aluminum in an EVSE circuit. If you have a reference, please share it.

Side note: even if aluminum is allowed to be used in a circuit, I'll never use it myself by choice.

• Informative
Reactions: e645824 and Rocky_H
I was wondering the exact same thing. I've actually been tempted to reinstall the Leviton to test again.
Unfortunatly I completely forgot about testing the tightness as I was on a mission to quickly replace the receptacle. I had the family awaiting the power to be restored 🤣

I think I'll try and find time to give it a try again with the Leviton this week and report back.
I would not use Leviton receptacle for charging the EV since it is rating for residential not industrial. Hubbell/Bryant is the one to use.. Just make sure you torque the screw on each wire properly.

Reactions: GroovaEV
Leviton manufactures different model 14-50 receptacles that are made to sell at different prices depending on the application. The basic Leviton 14-50R (model 279-S00) is fit for purpose if your application is for providing 240V/50A power for an electric range or wall oven. You should not rely on the Leviton 14-50R model 279-S00 for EV charging as there are many cases of this receptacle overheating when charging an EV. If you are installing the 240V/50A circuit with a receptacle for EV charging then use one of the recommended 14-50R or 6-50R from Hubbell (14-50R: 9450a), Bryant (14-50R: 9450fr) or Cooper (14-50R: 5754n)

This does not surprise me as the Leviton 14-50 outlet overheats on 32 amps as well due to the prongs in the outlet socket extending only half way across the length of the the plug prongs. Would not surprise me if the 6-50 Leviton is built the same way. Lots of posts about that issue on TMC.

FWIW, Lowes sells $10 Utilitech 14-50 and 6-50 "industrial" grade outlets. I have not tested the 6-50, but the 14-50 stays cool and will charge my MS at 32 amp continuously from 10 to 90% with no discernible heat at the outlet. Nothing wrong with Hubbel at all, but there are other less expensive options that will work safely and reliably.
Thank you so much. After mulltiple visits and "fixes" from my electrician, my car kept dropping to 16amps a few minutes into charging each night. Went to Lowes and picked up the $10 6-50 version of the Utilitech outlet - its working like a dream now. The old one was indeed a Leviton.

Reactions: N..8
Leviton manufactures different model 14-50 receptacles that are made to sell at different prices depending on the application. The basic Leviton 14-50R (model 279-S00) is fit for purpose if your application is for providing 240V/50A power for an electric range or wall oven. You should not rely on the Leviton 14-50R model 279-S00 for EV charging as there are many cases of this receptacle overheating when charging an EV. If you are installing the 240V/50A circuit with a receptacle for EV charging then use one of the recommended 14-50R or 6-50R from Hubbell (14-50R: 9450a), Bryant (14-50R: 9450fr) or Cooper (14-50R: 5754n)
Well, at least you tried to give solid advice. A $10 receptacle? Nuts. It’ll work fine when new, but not in my house!

I would not use Leviton receptacle for charging the EV since it is rating for residential not industrial. Hubbell/Bryant is the one to use.. Just make sure you torque the screw on each wire properly.
The Leviton 5374 for NEMA 6-50 claims to be industrial grade, but you can see from the photos at 5374 that it has only half size contacts to the plug blades, the same type of thing that the Leviton 279-S00 for NEMA 14-50 has. This leads to lower conductivity / increased resistance / increased heat, compared to full size contacts.

Anything with full size brass contacts to the plug blades would be an improvement (of course, if there is aluminum wire connecting to it, be sure to get one that can be used with aluminum wire). Hubbell and Bryant offer NEMA 6-50 receptacles of generally good quality, but unlike with their NEMA 14-50 receptacles which have improved pressure clamping mechanisms for the wires, their NEMA 6-50 receptacles have common screw-down wire clamping like most other receptacles. With screw-down wire clamping, it is especially important to be careful in installing the wire connections.

Well, at least you tried to give solid advice. A $10 receptacle? Nuts. It’ll work fine when new, but not in my house!
FUD principal at work. They've all been fine for years. I just had a union shop install a 14-50 in a seasonal home remodel , and while they did install an expensive 60 amp GFI breaker as a code upgrade, the outlet they used was not an $80 Hubble, it was around $40 and definitely marked up. Not sure of the brand, but it just passed state inspection. So it's in my house.

FUD principal at work. They've all been fine for years. I just had a union shop install a 14-50 in a seasonal home remodel , and while they did install an expensive 60 amp GFI breaker as a code upgrade, the outlet they used was not an $80 Hubble, it was around $40 and definitely marked up. Not sure of the brand, but it just passed state inspection. So it's in my house.
A home improvement store grade 14-50R, i.e. Leviton Model 279-S00 is OK for an electric oven or range. These home appliances have both thermostats and timers and are not considered continuous use. When charging an EV this is a continuous use application. You need a hard wired installation or at least a higher quality receptacle that has been shown to be safe, long term, for EV charging.

I've used the cheapo Leviton 50A receptacles for years. Wired and torqued correctly, they worked fine for me before I hardwired my wall connectors. I also never unplugged the EVSE much, the receptacle wasn't worn out or loose.

But I'm just one guy, and I know it was installed correctly from the get-go.

A home improvement store grade 14-50R, i.e. Leviton Model 279-S00 is OK for an electric oven or range. These home appliances have both thermostats and timers and are not considered continuous use. When charging an EV this is a continuous use application. You need a hard wired installation or at least a higher quality receptacle that has been shown to be safe, long term, for EV charging.
Yea it's pretty well known the home improvement store Leviton is crap for an EV - they do overheat - I have disassembled them and it is a blade contact issue. Some users report a melt down, but usually the mobile charger plug gets hot and tells the car to reduce the amp draw. There are perfectly acceptable outlets for $13 - $30 unless you plan to do a lot of plugging and unplugging (not recommended), in which case you want a heavier duty frame.

I just had a union shop install a 14-50 in a seasonal home remodel , and while they did install an expensive 60 amp GFI breaker as a code upgrade
"as a code upgrade"?? Really? That's a code violation. You can't have a 50A outlet type with a breaker that is higher rating than that.

it just passed state inspection
It shouldn't have.

Perhaps they think since the outlet is rated for 50 amps, the 80% rule allows a 60 amp breaker. Not how it works. You need to change the breaker to 50 amps.
Yes, this kind of stuff is scary. The frequency of these horror stories makes me believe the majority of electricians are just trained monkeys who have imitation learned and who don’t understand the theory behind anything they are doing.

Reactions: Sophias_dad
The electrician that installed my 14-50 used a Leviton outlet. After 4 years it suddenly would deliver only 4 amps, where the day before was 32 amps. No arcing or obvious sign of failure but something was causing the flow of current through the outlet. Replaced it with a Hubble and back to 32. There is a noticeable difference in construction between the two.

So maybe these guys don’t know what they’re talking about either

Oh, why-oh why-oh....
48ac2cbce97b896e99dfd83824c9b5161b75b59d802cea609407f1300b962dd5.0.png

Reactions: Pianewman