Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning against touch based car washes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's easy for you left coasters. Have you ever tried to wash a car in 30 degree weather?
I use car washes most of the year. Easy, quickest way to get a clean car. Unfortunately sometimes a mirror breaks :(
Well I figure weather wasn't much of an issue since he had flip flops on. Wash your car in your garage and if you're spoiled your heated garage. But when weather is that bad, you go to a reputable hand car wash and pay someone to do it.

Doesn't that cause swirling in the paint?????

That, and MUCH worse.

Many years ago when I had a car I didn't care that much about (as well as it was made back when paint was much harder and could take a beating) I headed to the local brush type car wash, but it was closed for "repair".

There were several cars with very PO'd owners in front of the office. Apparently something got ripped off of a vehicle, attached itself in the brush, and whacked the sides of several cars before it was caught.

Brush or even so called "soft touch" car washes? No thanks.

The only thing that touches my cars paint is the 14 micro fiber mitts I use every time I wash my car. It's enough that I don't need to rinse the mitts between panels. I just throw the slightly used one in the dirty bucket and go onto the next mitt. I switched to doing that several years ago just before I got my Tesla. It saves water because there's no rinse bucket and I only need enough water and soap to saturate the mitts.

I'm swirl free to this day under my 10 watt led paint light.

Heck, I won't even subject my 260K mile Prius to a drive through car wash.

The local ones with microfiber brushes can do a nice job if well maintained. Of course the maintenance of them is all over the map. My SO's car is leased and goes through once a month at one close to their work. So far the paint is a bit swirled but it's white so you really can't see it without an inspection light. Otherwise there have been no issues with it at all. I still hand wash the Tesla, but if I had to go through the tunnel I wouldn't panic about it.