Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING: I rear-ended someone today while using Auto Pilot in my brand new P90D!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just trying out 7 tonight. That's really really far, at embarrassing levels even. It's like you're "that guy" with a line of cars behind you, trying to pass you over the shoulder one at a time

That may be so but it is the setting that allows the maximum time for the driver to intervene if necessary. I would never recommend any other setting while the system is in 'beta' and has proven to be negative results at lower setting.

Just trying out 7 tonight. That's really really far, at embarrassing levels even. It's like you're "that guy" with a line of cars behind you, trying to pass you over the shoulder one at a time
I always have AP on 7
I find it perfectly fine
It keeps 3-4 car lengths or so while you are following someone and stops keeping half-a-car length
Also, it does a very good job on what distance to keep depending on the speed
Overall, fairly accurate, with just a tad on the safer side

P.S. This is what i have for as a dashcam option
Amazon.com : Pyle Compact HD Dash Cam, Hi-Res 1080p DVR Video Recording, Image Capture, LCD Display, Micro SD Card Slot, Windshield Mount : Car Electronics
Good and reliable cam after 2 yrs of ownership

TACC isn't controlled by just the separation setting you choose, but also your speed. At 35MPH you maintain a certain distance between you and the car in front of you, but at 75MPH, it is greater -- check it out. My commute to work in the morning is on a 3 lane divided highway and it's not unusual for me to be on TACC at 75 - 90MPH. Sure, I've got a decent separation between me and the car in front of me, but guess what -- the entire column of cars is similarly spread out. No one tailgates at those speeds and in 15 years of driving that route I've never seen an accident.

My car tried to sideswipe a truck today. I grabbed the wheel and avoided the accident - I'm 100% sure it would have hit the truck. I trust AP much less now than I did when I woke up this morning. Sure hope we see a massive improvement soon. If anybody can see anything in the video that might have confused AP, please comment. I can't think of anything. The windshield was clean. The lane ahead was clear, no confusing markings of any kind. The car just dove to the right like it wanted to ram the truck. I did not hit the wheel causing it to move. I wasn't touching the wheel. My arms were at the sides on armrests. My leg didn't hit the wheel. The wheel moved completely of its own accord.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right before that video I had spent 30 minutes in a bumper to bumper traffic jam, and was very happy to get be moving again. But I was reading during the bumper to bumper part. I only read on beltway 8, (or in bumper to bumper stop and move 4 ft, stop again traffic) where I thought it was safe. I'm rethinking that now. This is the first time the car ever just dived toward another vehicle for no reason. Really scared me. I have said before and now I say it again with greatly renewed conviction - I don't think Tesla should have released autopilot if they knew it was as bad as it is. Somebody is going to die, and there is going to be a very costly lawsuit, more costly in terms of lost sales and popularity of the car than in money, by far.

My car tried to sideswipe a truck today. I grabbed the wheel and avoided the accident - I'm 100% sure it would have hit the truck. I trust AP much less now than I did when I woke up this morning. Sure hope we see a massive improvement soon. If anybody can see anything in the video that might have confused AP, please comment. I can't think of anything. The windshield was clean. The lane ahead was clear, no confusing markings of any kind. The car just dove to the right like it wanted to ram the truck. I did not hit the wheel causing it to move. I wasn't touching the wheel. My arms were at the sides on armrests. My leg didn't hit the wheel. The wheel moved completely of its own accord.

I'd take that video to your service center to see what sort of unacceptable hypothesis they try to feed you. Wanna take it to another level? Post the vid on twitter and tag both Tesla and Musk, ask them to comment.

I have an older P85+, but tried autopilot on a loaner for couple of days. As far as I remember, the car beeps if driver takes over from the AP. I was wondering why there was no beep when you grabbed the wheel to correct the course. Could it be that the AP was not on at the time you were passing the truck?

I have an older P85+, but tried autopilot on a loaner for couple of days. As far as I remember, the car beeps if driver takes over from the AP. I was wondering why there was no beep when you grabbed the wheel to correct the course. Could it be that the AP was not on at the time you were passing the truck?

It's a two tone beep with lower tone following a higher tone. You can here it in the video about a half second after the manual steering correction. Easier to hear with headphones on.

Mine has done exactly this with 7.1 twice. I've stopped using it altogether except for brief intervals of just a few seconds when I need to reach down to get something and only when there are no other cars around. Really wish I could go back to 7.0 for AP but keep 7.1 for summons.

It's a two tone beep with lower tone following a higher tone. You can here it in the video about a half second after the manual steering correction. Easier to hear with headphones on.

Mine has done exactly this with 7.1 twice. I've stopped using it altogether except for brief intervals of just a few seconds when I need to reach down to get something and only when there are no other cars around. Really wish I could go back to 7.0 for AP but keep 7.1 for summons.

I've listened again, with ear phones, on high volume and can't hear any beeps...

@ElectricFan
The road has a consistent black strip marking. I am not sure what happened there, but it is the only remote possible reason I can think of. These markings are present in the lane you were driving and in the lane truck was. Maybe your car begin following the false lane formed between black markings. I think your car was swerving between the real lane and pseudo lane much before the truck came. Check around 0:11, your begins correcting into real lane and then swerves again. 0:08-0:11, your car is going into false lane. Hey, I tried my best and I could be terribly wrong. Just trying to help.

I've encountered AP (7.0) shifting lanes on its own (into other traffic), but my experience was not nearly as smooth as in Electricfan's video. In my case, my car swerved quickly while traveling roughly 50mph. This happened twice, and I caught it both times. It was almost as if the car suddenly realized we were straddling a lane marker. I haven't had a recurrence with 7.1.

In my personal experience, the radar and ultrasonic sensors appear to be quite reliable - in the sense that if an obstacle is in range of those sensors, the car will take appropriate action. On the other hand, the image/object recognition lane detection system in the (I believe) Mobileye processor is much more prone to error. In my opinion, it is in the dangerous territory of being reliable enough to give some confidence, yet unreliable to actually depend upon. It seems to me that Tesla pushing the limits of the technology here - even Mobileye has publicly stated as much.

At speeds below 30mph or so, my car appears to be reasonably capable of autonomous (hands completely off) travel. The range and reliability of the radar and ultrasonics appear to be sufficient in this slower speed range to inform the car to drive reasonably well even with little human supervision. Once I get above 35mph, the car can get itself into trouble much more quickly, especially with lane detection mistakes.

As such, in heavy congestion (stop and go), I let autopilot do its thing and it has done a great job for me. I feel comfortable diverting much of my attention to my phone, checking and responding to messages. But when traffic allows speeds beyond 30mph or so, I begin to transition to paying close attention to the driving task and being ready to take over instantly (in terms of human reaction time).

It appears that Electricfan's video was shot at ~78mph. The steering corrections that I experienced with 7.0 were dramatic enough that they would have been quite strong swerves at 78mph. Granted, the car presumably have swerved to the same degree at 78mph.

Electricfan: glad you caught it and thanks for sharing. I need to get a dashcam so I can share mine too!