Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was the initial 7.0 release "this bad"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only had the car for a week and I'm getting really worried about 8.0. Those of you that lived through the 7.0 release - was it "as buggy" as 8.0 is being described? Did they release any updates between 7.0 and 7.1? How long did the next release after 7.0 take with bug fixes?

Thanks!

• Disagree
Reactions: fallen888
Only had the car for a week and I'm getting really worried about 8.0. Those of you that lived through the 7.0 release - was it "as buggy" as 8.0 is being described? Did they release any updates between 7.0 and 7.1? How long did the next release after 7.0 take with bug fixes?

Thanks!
7.0 came out Oct 15, 2015. Per Tracker, there were was a update in Nov and Dec before 7.1 came out in January 2016. There would have to be something significant to warrant an update such as a charging issue or something safety related. If that happens they try to include fixes to some of the issues people are complaining about.

What's "this bad"???... I've had 8 for a few days now and have been quite happy with it, especially the auto zooming on the maps and the new full screen stuff. Sure I'd like to have my scroll wheel to change the audio sources back and I'd like to have a full featured navigation system, but I'm not having any problems or issues.

For me, I've never had a problem with the nav (including it's routing and such), just wish it had more features.

Love the new radar look from 8.0 and AP has certainly improved once again with its release.

Jeff

Remember that the negative posts on this forum represent just a tiny fraction of all Tesla owners. I love 8.0. No bugs or issues. I think the new media player is much easier to use. The updated autopilot works great. The UI look and feel is right up there with the best from Apple and google. In fact, I've been driving my Model X a lot less these last few days because it's stuck on the ancient 7.1.

I think most everything is better aside from the USB library issues I've commented on in a few threads. Even that isn't the end of the world, it's not like I'm now looking at Audi A7s again or anything.

Honestly, the most complaints are from people that are upset the car is actually forcing you to keep you hands on the wheel to use AP. Kinda strange thing to complain about since it really clearly tells you that you need to do so every time you engage.

To the OP: You're going to see a pretty wide range of opinions on 8.0, particularly with the UI, which is extremely subjective. It's my experience that (in general) people who don't like something are going to complain much more than supporters will praise something. So I've learned over the past year and a half to pass things I read on TMC through a mental filter of sorts. There's a little more discussion along this line in another thread that I think is entitled "Negativity bias?" (not sure the exact name).

Personally I'm generally happy with 8.0 compared with 7.1 (my car came with 6.2 originally). AP seems better for me, and some of the UI changes are to me an improvement (the ones that aren't, I can live with). There are definitely some things that I would have done differently, if it were up to me, but overall my experience has been pretty positive on the changes (admittedly I haven't driven a whole lot since the update). Note that "generally happy" people generally don't write post after post to TMC saying that. :)

Finally, in case it wasn't clear, there wasn't just one 7.0 or 7.1 release...there were a number of builds of those versions, and most owners got at least some of them (in my case, I got eight 6.2 builds, two 7.0 builds, thirteen 7.1 builds, and one 8.0 build). I expect that to be true for 8.0 as well.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

Same here; been on 8.0 for a bit, and no issues. Before 8.0, I actually was hoping the menu bar could be swapped with the map so the map is at the very top of the screen. So I'm happy they extended the map to the top and made the menu bar "disappear."

I downloaded 7.0 in Columbus, OH and immediately began a road trip to Florida. I used AP extensively on the trip but was always paranoid about problems. Here is my trip report:
Life with Autopilot: 1500 miles trip report

Every update is like that, and 8.0 is not different. If we carefully remember that this is NOT AUTONOMOUS DRIVING and pay attention at all times it is hard not to love it!
Sorry about shouting.
By reference I am an Airline transport Pilot and Flight Instructor. As a pilot I understand what an autopilot is, an aide, very excellent aide, but aide. There is no substitute for paying attention. Not doing so can kill people, and does. The recent Emirates Boeing 777-300 crash at Dubai (first hull loss in Emirates history) is an excellent case in point because the pilots were being complacent so tried to take off without adding power. Pretty stupid, and those guys will probably not fly again anytime soon.
The Tesla crashes are, it seems, all of the same type as that 777 crash.
Most of the complaints about AP in updates are ones that are seemingly expecting Autopilot to be something it is not.
Most of the complaints about software updates seem to be made by people who have not studied the release notes nor experimented.

It is not all perfect at Tesla, they make mistakes, but I find, after almost two years, that Tesla updates are better than Apple, my previous stellar example. I have not yet had an update that caused any problems and I do not personally know anyone who has had any problems.

In sum, don't worry about. Enjoy. Study the upgrade notes, be mildly irritated that minor updates do not come with notes, then join the threads here where we figure those together. Soon it becomes fun, especially the Cowbells.

Reactions: Parebalo and Petra
Have to agree with most who had posted here already. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I've had no issues at all with 8.0. I have an early non-AP MS, so the changes were pretty minor for me. Just remember, some people just hate change, especially change they did not request. Most of us love the updating and understand it may take a few days to learn a few new things, but isn't it great to get new things!! Plus posting another I love everything is just boring to read isn't? Wow, I just dissed my own post. :D

Honestly, the most complaints are from people that are upset the car is actually forcing you to keep you hands on the wheel to use AP. Kinda strange thing to complain about since it really clearly tells you that you need to do so every time you engage.

Exactly. In fact, I found a hack that completely disables the nag! When autopilot is on, just gently rest one of your hands on the steering wheel. No more nag! ;)

To answer the original question, the reaction to 7.0 seemed far more negative to me, and started well before release. 8.0 reaction seems to be focused on a few small issues, which if they don't affect you, you won't notice. Count me among the "improved and enjoying it" camp.

I'm curious about the age distribution of those who like and don't like the new UI. My hypothesis is younger owners like it, older owners don't (by chronological age, not how long you've owned a Tesla). I put my 60 year old eyes in the later category. I find it much harder to use with a fraction of a second glance while driving, as I noted on another thread. This seems to be from a combination of thinner font, gray on white text, and flat design provides fewer visual clues.

For those of you who either like or dislike the new UI, does my age hypothesis hold?

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I'm curious about the age distribution of those who like and don't like the new UI. My hypothesis is younger owners like it, older owners don't (by chronological age, not how long you've owned a Tesla). I put my 60 year old eyes in the later category. I find it much harder to use with a fraction of a second glance while driving, as I noted on another thread. This seems to be from a combination of thinner font, gray on white text, and flat design provides fewer visual clues.

For those of you who either like or dislike the new UI, does my age hypothesis hold?

42 and I'm a software engineer working on UIs that some of you probably own. Visual affordance (font weight and color) can be seperate from overall UI design. I would encourage Tesla to think about accessibility options in the future.

@thatman what bugs are you talking about? It would help us give you a more accurate answer to your question.

My 8.0 upgrade experience has been like getting a brand new car. AP is better. Maps are better. Media player is more like other modern steaming music interfaces. And the upgrade didn't cost me any more money. Win. Win.

Reactions: Stoneymonster
Remember that the negative posts on this forum represent just a tiny fraction of all Tesla owners. I love 8.0. No bugs or issues. I think the new media player is much easier to use. The updated autopilot works great. The UI look and feel is right up there with the best from Apple and google. In fact, I've been driving my Model X a lot less these last few days because it's stuck on the ancient 7.1.

"I haven't been affected by the bug" != "The bug doesn't exist"

@TexasEV

I'm the "upper age" bracket and low contrast text bothers me as well, even though I have excellent vision. Thin fonts and flat UI designs will, hopefully, move on to something that appeals to a wider audience in the near future.

In a similar topic on the Tesla forum, I just today quoted a classic line from "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" that pretty well sums up a UI that's gone off the track:

"It’s the wild colour scheme that freaks me out," said Zaphod, whose love affair with the ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight. "Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labeled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up in black to let you know you’ve done it."

42 and I'm a software engineer working on UIs that some of you probably own. Visual affordance (font weight and color) can be seperate from overall UI design. I would encourage Tesla to think about accessibility options in the future.

Sidebar, but I think Tesla stands to provide a LOT better accessibility options, and I hope they do. Assisted driving could be a huge benefit for people who have difficulty with traditional driving; it's strange to me how limited the UI customizability is for folks who have accessibility concerns.

as someone fairly young and able, I'm hoping to see some improvements here. More options for more people. :)