Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was there ever a discount on the acceleration boost, or was it always $2,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title asks, can we expect a discount, ever?

Your thread title and the first post are asking two completely different questions.

Has the boost ever been discounted? = No, not to my knowledge, I have never seen it be discounted. I am not an insider though, but I have been here on TMC pretty much every day since Dec of 2018.

Can we expect a discount (which is not what your thread title is asking)? I have no idea and neither does anyone else. Teslas price changes can sometimes seem very capricious / unexpected. I wouldnt expect it, but stranger things have happened.

$2000 is a bit much for me, so mine just sits there tempting me. However, it lowers your 0-60 time by .5 seconds. This has been proven by many YouTubers. I'd say to lower your 0-60 time in another vehicle, you'd spend at least $2000 maybe more. So I'd ask yourself if it is worth it to you? Also, the first time you purchase it, there use to be a refund button for 24 or 48 hours. If you refund it and purchase it again, you're stuck with it. If that is still the case, you can always purchase it and see if it is worth it to you. Just make sure you can do proper testing before you purchase it.

I have to say the half second is a screaming bargain. When you already have a car running so well, low 4 seconds and to drop it solidly in the mid 3's. That puts you about the same as an Audi R8 V10. Better than a lot of stock Vipers. About as quick as the 2005 Ford GT. The list this car can easily beat is pretty remarkable when running boost and run it consistently every time In the 3 you can take along 4 friends and still be pretty quick.

Best 2k I've spent in a long time. I wish my Plaid had a boost option as well...

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
It was never $1700, but in terms of what it cost when first offered and now, due to inflation, it is the equivalent of about $1700 a few years ago.

The best thing about boost is no matter what your charge level is, assuming over 10% or so, the car is far quicker than it was before, even when fully charged.

Reactions: android04
Of course they can lol
I wouldn't bet on that. I recall reading somewhere here that someone had a MIC MS LR and there was no boost available for it. Maybe that has been corrected. Even if there will be, unlikely it will be rolled out right away. Tesla takes their sweet time with a lot of these things. Given the reduced range, they may have to make some changes for the new LR's.

I wouldn't buy a new LR with the assumption you could add boost down the road. It may never come. For the 6k difference, I'd buy the P over the LR for the 6k difference and ditch the Ubers for something lighter and more curb friendly.

I wouldn't bet on that. I recall reading somewhere here that someone had a MIC MS LR and there was no boost available for it. Maybe that has been corrected. Even if there will be, unlikely it will be rolled out right away. Tesla takes their sweet time with a lot of these things. Given the reduced range, they may have to make some changes for the new LR's.

I wouldn't buy a new LR with the assumption you could add boost down the road. It may never come. For the 6k difference, I'd buy the P over the LR for the 6k difference and ditch the Ubers for something lighter and more curb friendly.
Unless they are different battery tech I dont see why not....
AB doesn't reduce range unless ya use the pedal more;)
I agree, prices so close now(esp with Y) I would get the P over the LR.

I have to say the half second is a screaming bargain. When you already have a car running so well, low 4 seconds and to drop it solidly in the mid 3's. That puts you about the same as an Audi R8 V10. Better than a lot of stock Vipers. About as quick as the 2005 Ford GT. The list this car can easily beat is pretty remarkable when running boost and run it consistently every time In the 3 you can take along 4 friends and still be pretty quick.

Best 2k I've spent in a long time. I wish my Plaid had a boost option as well...
Why in the world would you need the plaid to have a boost option? Unless you randomly run into like a Rimac or something, you're going to be faster than them haha.

I paid for it when it first was available.
I did feel the difference when I first purchased it. (but my buddy said he could hear the difference once he added $1,500 speaker wires to replace zipcord)
I was frustrated because with over the air updates I felt like I was paying for completing the software as no new hardware was required.
I am also concerned that they have not updated this code since I purchased it a few years ago.
When my software updates is the acceleration boost removed like my radar? I know it says I purchased it, but how can I verify that I still have it. It would have been nice for my $2K if It enabled a switch you could turn on and off.
Does FSD react or biased differently on boosted model 3s, or will I just hit things quicker?

I was frustrated because with over the air updates I felt like I was paying for completing the software as no new hardware was required.

The earlier 3s were identical HW between the LR AWD and the base P models- the price difference was literally the software.

The boost unlocks about half the difference, for only about 20% of the original full-unlock price.

I am also concerned that they have not updated this code since I purchased it a few years ago.

Why would they? The amount of added power has not changed in that time. What needs "updating"?

When my software updates is the acceleration boost removed like my radar?

...no? Why would it be? One has nothing to do with the other.

I know it says I purchased it, but how can I verify that I still have it.

You have "sport" as a driving mode. That doesn't exist on non-boosted non-P models.

Does FSD react or biased differently on boosted model 3s, or will I just hit things quicker?

FSD never uses remotely close to max acceleration so having boost or not is largely irrelevant. It knows your acceleration curve for the much-less-than-max amount it wants to command though if that's what you're asking.

Reactions: android04
Why in the world would you need the plaid to have a boost option? Unless you randomly run into like a Rimac or something, you're going to be faster than them haha.
Like anything, you get used to it. The car is traction limited at the start but at higher speeds I would enjoy more.

I also spend a lot of time on very fast sport bikes that are faster than my Plaid once I can get them launched. The Plaid is so smooth that it feels a lot slower than it ease. With an ICE motor you may have substantially higher momentary g's than the Plaid even though the Plaid's overall acceleration may be almost as quick.

I paid for it when it first was available.
I did feel the difference when I first purchased it. (but my buddy said he could hear the difference once he added $1,500 speaker wires to replace zipcord)
When my software updates is the acceleration boost removed like my radar? I know it says I purchased it, but how can I verify that I still have it. It would have been nice for my $2K if It enabled a switch you could turn on and off.
You should sport and chill mode. If still concerned do some 0-60 runs to validate you still have it. Easy enough to do. If you are running under 4 seconds for an M3 LR, then you have it.