Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washed my car and the windshield cracked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mobile service tech took a picture of the crack and said it's not his call but with the tiny pit in the glass, he said he wouldn't be surprised if the service center would not cover the replacement cost, but it could go either way, ugh. Never had a glass problem in >25 years so I have never thought to carry no deductible glass cover. Bummer. Guess we will see what they say next Wednesday. I see a small little pit on the roof glass as well. Gonna have to get out the bubble wrap for this dainty car.

Same here with a model 3 bought dec 18.
the crack looks very much like the picture of the op. The sc detected a very tiny impact, so bye bye the garantee. Another factor I could think about is with the car sitting in the sun, the overheat protection kicked in....
What surprises me is with all the regular cars I owned before, nothing like that ever happened. Sure some stones hit the windshield and left marks but I've seen a windshield getting cracked so easely. Is it that Tesla's windshields are particularly fragile ?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: super20g
the crack looks very much like the picture of the op. The sc detected a very tiny impact, so bye bye the garantee. Another factor I could think about is with the car sitting in the sun, the overheat protection kicked in....
What surprises me is with all the regular cars I owned before, nothing like that ever happened. Sure some stones hit the windshield and left marks but I've seen a windshield getting cracked so easely. Is it that Tesla's windshields are particularly fragile ?
Maybe the issue is that the edge of the glass is exposed on the Model 3? Most cars have some trim to cover the edge of the glass.
Now I’m thinking I should tape the edges of all my glass...

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: super20g and duanra

I had a Suzuki SX4 that cracked all the way across as I was pulling out of my driveway. Just heard a loud pop while my head was turned as I was reversing, and when I turned back I had a crack across the entirety of the windshield. I believe it was something like -10F outside. I also had the rear window of my '91 318i completely shatter. I got in the car and thought the window was covered in ice, but when I went to inspect it the entire window had just shattered, but was still in one piece. As I drove little pieces of glass began to fall into the car behind my rear seats.

Conversely, I've had some rather nasty rock hits that didn't seem to do any damage at all.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra
I appreciate the feedback guys. Now the big question mark is, when I renew my insurance, what is going to be the hit. I have a spotless record, however the agent was unable to answer. The question of course is, should I claim it or not...

Op- so sorry to hear that.

Confession: in college I threw a water balloon at a car and it cracked the windshield. .. I was arrested... I learned right then and there the physics behind hot windshields and cold impact.. shhhh.. never told my mom..
Or the opposite. I still shudder thinking back to when I lived in Alaska and I watched a lady pour hot water from a tea kettle onto her car's windshield to de-ice it. I didn't stick around to see if the windshield cracked or not, but I said to myself this must be her first winter there after moving up from warmer climes.

• Funny
Reactions: Runnergirl

It is funny... All windshields have tiny nicks from road debris but they generally don't crack when they go through a temperature change. Get a new car with an expensive windshield and all you have to do is look at it wrong, hehe.

It is funny... All windshields have tiny nicks from road debris but they generally don't crack when they go through a temperature change. Get a new car with an expensive windshield and all you have to do is look at it wrong, hehe.
I know, and the best part is they don't have a clew of when the new windshield will be available...neither they can give me an accurate quote. Right now they told between 1000 and 2000 cad...go figure...