Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water intrusion after rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I washed my car the other day and the water got inside the car in the driver's side window. I am guessing the seal is not properly sealed. Just a little bit but I don't know if that's a concern.
Definitely get it looked at. While I was at the service center yesterday on a related issue (window calibration), I asked the service tech about the various sealing issues. They have a lot of tricks up their sleeve to fix the problems. I suspect there is a bit of overall design issue here but there is enough tweaks that can be made to fix most, if not all, of the issues.

Even if you had work done in the past it's probably a good idea to bring it up again as they may have learned something new.

You paid how much for your car? Of course it's a concern. Report it and have it remedied.
I haven't washed my previous cars for over 6 years so I don't know / remember if the pressurized water getting inside is normal. It's fine in the rain.

I will bring it up next time I visit the SC. I haven't been to the SC since taking delivery. I do want them to replace my shitty windshield wipers under warranty. They have been useless in the rain that makes driving in the rain a big hazard.

Still an issue on our December MX. Water pouring in on the driver side door onto car seat and floor. I made it a point via checklist and this thread to inspect seals at delivery. Seals were definitely "puffier" than some of the previous photos. There does appear to be a channel behind the front lip. However, water still coming in and I will add to the list.

Just an update.. I took my X to SC with the same issue - Water dripping in from FWD when opened after rain. Tesla inspected the car (probably did a water test) and said the doors are working as intended and no fix is needed. It rained the previous night when I went to pick up my car from SC. Just out of curiosity I asked my SA if he can open the FWD of a new car (Dec build) waiting to be delivered. He did and the water poured in from both sides on to the middle row seats. I don't think that there is a fix in place for this.

Wow. We've had torrential rain for the past week and with opening the doors twice per day at school and at home not once has any water come in like this.

And the opening at school has often been during active rain. No water comes in that wouldn't come into any car (rain falling at angle). None of it is pouring in from above like that. Not outside and not back at home in the garage.

Anyone that tells you this is normal is misinformed or lying.

@Jeff Andrews , does the same thing happen if you just open one falcon wing door at a time? It looks like you're opening both doors at the same time in your videos. I can see how the water flowing off of the top of both windows might overload the seals/drainage channels.
Yes, I can open one door at a time and water will pour in on each side. It didn't pour in both sides on the second video because I was parallel parked in the street with the car leaning to the right (so water didn't fall in the left door).

Also this happens after the car has been sitting in the rain for a few minutes, as it gives time for sitting water to build up. It doesn't happen immediately after coming to a stop after driving, since the wind just blows the water towards the back of the car.

Maybe try changing your suspension settings before opening the door. The suspension changes front/rear at slightly different times and that motion may allow the water to escape forwards and backwards prior to opening the doors.

Of course, this would just be a temporary solution until Tesla fixes the seals.

Yes, I can open one door at a time and water will pour in on each side. It didn't pour in both sides on the second video because I was parallel parked in the street with the car leaning to the right (so water didn't fall in the left door).

Also this happens after the car has been sitting in the rain for a few minutes, as it gives time for sitting water to build up. It doesn't happen immediately after coming to a stop after driving, since the wind just blows the water towards the back of the car.

Same with me.. It only happens when the car sits in the rain for sometime. It does not happen after drive/stop.

I have also noticed an important factor is the angle of incline or surface level parked on. I noted this when the streets are angled towards the sidewalk for water run off.

Opening a the dependent i.e. closer to the sidewalk, falcon wing when the car is inclined will cause run off into to vehicle.
Exactly how we were parked when this happened for the first time to us with my father in the back seat. Pretty embarrassing.

Mine is the exact same situation as the video above. Service center here says let the rain x wear off since water sheets off too fast... But there is no rain x applied... So they didn't want to fix anything. Also they checked my 18000 VIN and said seals are the most up to date...

This is crazy that Tesla thinks it is okay for rain to pour into the car on the passengers and leather seats. This is something people should not put up with on ANY vehicle let alone one that costs in excess of $100k. My X goes in next Monday (only took three weeks for an appointment this time, but that is another issue) and I will not be bringing it home until this issue is 100% completely repaired and I plan on testing this before bringing it home. Still have other issue with the X that have not been resolved. The most annoying (other than the water intrusion) is the CONSTANT squeaking coming from the rear hatch. So far I would give my X and Tesla a C- on execution on what could have been one of the best vehicles ever made.

Reactions: Jason Bloomberg
This just happened to me just now. Opened FWD to show off to my employees, and rain just poured all over the rear seat. I just picked up my car on Monday. Is this normal? I don't see how I wouldn't have the latest seals as my car was just built on Feb 14.