Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waxing brand new Tesla 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at build date, then after 1-2 months should be fine. I’d get it on sooner than later. I found that both our 3 clearcoat holds more dirt/grime than other cars. I had to clay a 3 month from build date car. For comparison, I just washed my 3 year old Lexus and the paint was still smooth even though I’ve never clayed or waxed it.

How long should a person wait to apply wax to a brand new Tesla 3? Is it ok to apply a wax coat right away or should I wait a period of time?

8 years.

12 years old, 230,000 miles never waxed once. It would look like *sugar* if I did because it's hard to not get wax on black plastic parts or around certain parts like lettering etc. Wax LOL. In fact I demand dealers to NOT wax my car on delivery or I'll refuse it.

16059049462_87fffba2dc_b_d.jpg

How long should a person wait to apply wax to a brand new Tesla 3? Is it ok to apply a wax coat right away or should I wait a period of time?

Brand new paint needs time to cure before you subject it to automatic (scratch inducing) car washes and waxing.
30-60 days usually does it, starting from the date of manufacturing (not when you take delivery).

More info here:
5 things you should never do to a newly painted car
How Soon Can I Wash or Wax My New Paint After Auto Body Work in Arizona? - O'Rielly Collision Centers

people here say you should take it immediately to a detailer for paint correction and ceramic coating

That sounds great, until you price out the services.
Full paint correction and FFP application will run you $4-6K, depending on the part of the country and materials.

Frankly, Tesla paints colors are pretty bland, and you not very sophisticated.
It's hard to screw them up, or to enhance them with excessive protection.

I am keeping my paint naked. 60 days post manufacturing (6 weeks after I got the car) I fully waxed it, saturated exterior glass surfaces with RainX, cleaned interior glass cleaned alcohol and Windex (to remove new plastic out-gassing). Done.

a

I've been using Optimum Spray Wax. Simply spray it on a clean panel and wipe off with a microfiber towel. No buffing needed and it doesn't ruin black plastic like old school paste waxes do. There are many other modern spray waxes like this. Waxing used to take me hours with a random orbital polisher and now it takes me maybe 15 minutes.

It's the same company that makes Optimum No Rinse (aka ONR) which is also excellent and highly recommended just about everywhere on all car forums.

Reactions: sweetneet
I've been using Optimum Spray Wax. Simply spray it on a clean panel and wipe off with a microfiber towel. No buffing needed and it doesn't ruin black plastic like old school paste waxes do. There are many other modern spray waxes like this. Waxing used to take me hours with a random orbital polisher and now it takes me maybe 15 minutes.

It's the same company that makes Optimum No Rinse (aka ONR) which is also excellent and highly recommended just about everywhere on all car forums.
Thanks for the intel! I just ordered a bottle. I've been using Meguires Speed Shine but, I'm not overly impressed.

Reactions: Scott7
My 3 is about 8 months old now. Thought I would give it a wax. Any wax products you guys recommend?

I just used Soft99 Fusso wax/sealant over the past 2 days (did 2 thin coats to protect the car before winter). Was really great to apply and buffed off pretty easily. Just don't let it sit for too long. I watched a few random youtube videos first and was pretty painless.