Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If time and time again, the fault is the bad human driver that was not paying attention or driving recklessly, I think/hope that people may realize that AVs are not the problem, human drivers are. So the public could shift to favor AVs more.
I'd hope. But reading comments on news articles is disparaging. I gather from contextual clues that most of them are older "get off my lawn" kinda people, but they hate technology and EVs in general. It's going to take a few years for sentiment to change.

I'd hope. But reading comments on news articles is disparaging. I gather from contextual clues that most of them are older "get off my lawn" kinda people, but they hate technology and EVs in general. It's going to take a few years for sentiment to change.
I wish that all the old coots who hate technology would get off my lawn.

Reactions: Dewg and diplomat33
@diplomat33

What does Waymo do in residential areas with no posted speed limit? FSDb drives way too fast (~25-27 mph), so I was wondering what an alternate approach would be.
Each state has prima facia laws which,.among other things, gives speed limits for unposted areas including business districts, school zones, and residential.

In California, residential prima is 25mph.

Technology is great when it works correctly. Not so great when it doesn't or isn't available where and when you want it to be. Between 19 and 42 million people in this Country still don't have high speed Broadband internet. In some areas of the Country there are no cell signals. Not all old coots are anti technology. What about young adults living in areas that ban WiFi and cell service?

@diplomat33

What does Waymo do in residential areas with no posted speed limit? FSDb drives way too fast (~25-27 mph), so I was wondering what an alternate approach would be.

As others have stated, Waymo would likely go with what the local law says. So if the law says 25 mph then Waymo would add 25 mph to the HD map so the car would know to stay below 25 mph in that area. But Waymo would also slow down to be safe around vulnerable road users.

Has there been any studies of public reaction to Waymo and Cruise (and Zoox) in those cities? Are the public excited, ambivalent, annoyed, or hating the expansion of AVs?

You might find this interesting. Here is some anecdotal evidence I just got from a person who takes a lot of driverless rides in a Waymo:

From Maya: "I have had some potentially unstable people on the street get close to vehicles, but nothing like this [referring to the person hitting the window of the Cruise AV]!! Also had a few weird situations with people during Waymo rider-only trips lately: A pedestrian tried to goad us by getting very close to sort of challenge the car at a light, but not so close that the Waymo wasn't able to proceed when the light turned green. A car was swerving around and driving aggressively. My Waymo was staying in a single lane and driving the speed limit. The other driver yelled at me (open window): "ROAD HAZARD!!!" Yesterday a guy stopped his vehicle in the middle of the intersection when he saw us. He was yelling something and then reversed and followed us!!! My home/stop was on the next block. He pulled up next to the Waymo as I exited, "What is that? I see those everywhere." So it was benign but I felt a little scared because it was in front of where I lived. I said, "It is like a taxi" and rushed inside. Let me say that these positive things also happened recently, and are much more common: An adult walked down a block with a kid to get close and told the kid about AVs. People at a bus stop smiled, waved, and took photos. (This is so common!) Pedestrians/drivers/cyclists wave to thank the Waymo for letting them go/walk/drive at an intersection."

Again, it is anecdotal but I think it shows a range of attitudes. Some people are openly hostile while others are genuinely curious or excited.

• Informative
Reactions: Dewg
As others have stated, Waymo would likely go with what the local law says. So if the law says 25 mph then Waymo would add 25 mph to the HD map so the car would know to stay below 25 mph in that area. But Waymo would also slow down to be safe around vulnerable road users.
Simple IF statement

Default Speed = 25mph

If posted speed limit available, override default speed with posted speed limit.

Ceteris Paribus.

Reactions: diplomat33
Are the employees able to travel anywhere in L A or is this just a small radius around their Base of Operations?

They're starting with Santa Monica.

Waymo handles a busy intersection with a broken traffic light perfectly.

That's very good, but I can't agree with "perfectly" since cars pulled up and proceeded on both left and right sides while Waymo sat there like a lump. (I wonder if the Yellow Cab on the left was driven by John Henry?)

Maya posted an impressive rainy night video recently, too.