Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technically this was a stop sign, since it was visualized (and present!). So slightly different.

The Waymo case and the Tesla case left a lot to be desired in any case. Have to be more assertive, and correct. The vehicles just have to be sure they are stationary when a collision occurs, in these cases.

There is a lot of latitude in these scenarios, so they aren’t that hard. The Waymo case would be much more dangerous though, especially when traffic is light on the main direction - much safer when busy.

It’s always kind of scary when there is no light at all.

I never said that Tesla FSD can't do it. Why do you keep trying to prove that Tesla can do the same as Waymo when nobody accused Tesla of not being able to do it?
Because its a Tesla Forum ? Go get your forum if you don't want to read comparisons. Seriously. This is a Tesla forum. Look it up.

There is ZERO reason to discuss Waymo here if it can't be compared to Tesla. In Lucid thread, people are going to bring up Tesla cars and compare to Lucid ....

And why are you so thin skinned when it comes to Waymo, anyway. As if you are founded Waymo ;)

Because its a Tesla Forum ? Go get your forum if you don't want to read comparisons. Seriously. This is a Tesla forum. Look it up.

It is a Tesla forum but this is the dedicated Waymo thread! The purpose is to discuss Waymo.

And as I have explained many times, I am a Tesla owner. I have every right to participate in a Tesla forum. You don't own this forum. You can't dictate who gets to participate or not.

There is ZERO reason to discuss Waymo here if it can't be compared to Tesla. In Lucid thread, people are going to bring up Tesla cars and compare to Lucid ....

There is every reason to discuss Waymo in a dedicated Waymo thread.

And there are dozens of threads about Tesla FSD. You can go to any of those threads to talk about FSD Beta. Is it too much to ask to have 1 thread that is only about Waymo?

And why are you so thin skinned when it comes to Waymo, anyway. As if you are founded Waymo ;)

I am not thin skinned about Waymo at all. Why are you so thin skinned about Tesla? Why do you always get triggered when I talk about Waymo in the dedicated Waymo thread?

Last edited:
I really like the interaction between waymo and other cars in this video

Definitely. And this was not an easy situation. It involved an unprotected left in some light rain at a busy intersection. Waymo handled it quite well, waiting and then making the turn smoothly when it was its turn.

Waymo has done phenomenal ML work with behavior prediction and planning which has allowed the Waymo Driver to interact really well with other vehicles, much better than the 4th Gen used to do.

Is Waymo planning on setting up autonomous charging stations since they are planning on deploying thousands of cars in LA in the next few years?

No, not that I am aware of. But why would they need to? The Waymo robotaxis can do rides all day and then autonomously return to the Waymo warehouse where a Waymo employee can plug them in to charge.

As Waymo expands into larger areas and adds more cars in LA and San Francisco having employees plugging in thousands of cars to charge won't be practical

They would not be plugging in a thousand cars at the same time. The charging would be staggered. And they could install automatic charging but they could do that in their warehouses where the cars are stored, they don't need automatic charging installed around the city.

They would not be plugging in a thousand cars at the same time. The charging would be staggered. And they could install automatic charging but they could do that in their warehouses where the cars are stored, they don't need automatic charging installed around the city.
Automatic charging is not that big a hurdle. My other car is a BMW 530e and BMW conducted a public experimental program in 2020 to test a drive-over induction charger for 530e cars (not mine unfortunately). Unfortunately, the limited test indicated that both charging efficiency and speed were too low. But eventually someone will figure out how to do it. Or maybe Optimus will be capable of doing it. 🤖

Automatic charging is not that big a hurdle. My other car is a BMW 530e and BMW conducted a public experimental program in 2020 to test a drive-over induction charger for 530e cars (not mine unfortunately). Unfortunately, the limited test indicated that both charging efficiency and speed were too low. But eventually someone will figure out how to do it. Or maybe Optimus will be capable of doing it. 🤖

You are talking about wireless EV charging. Yes, that is very inefficient. Another option would be a mechanical arm that automatically plugs in the fast charger like the prototype Tesla demo'd many years ago.

As Waymo expands into larger areas and adds more cars in LA and San Francisco having employees plugging in thousands of cars to charge won't be practical
I think you’re overstating the difficulty of this. Industry is full of production lines of people who do far more repetitive things over and over all day long and autonomous cars can park themselves neatly in order to make it a pretty simple task.

$36/hr (fully burdened) = 1 cent/second. Why would it be impractical to pay someone 20 cents to plug in a car that just came back from making $100+ that day?

Robotaxi operators will pay 50x as much to vacuum, wash, calibrate and maintain the cars as to plug them in.

Reactions: diplomat33