Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waypoints, FSD, and the importance of being able to save routes with waypoints as favorites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hope we get Waypoints sometime soon and I feel Waypoints are even more critical with FSD use.

There are many routes I take to get to places that are different from computer generated routes. Sometimes it is to make the route less stressful, faster, safer, shorter, better access to parking, or some other combination of those factors.

Whenever they add Waypoints, I REALLY hope they let you save an entire route with Waypoints so we can have preplanned routes that we can reuse both for manual driving and for driving with FSD.

For example, there is an unprotected left turn from a side street that I always avoid during rush hour because of a visual obstruction and traffic traveling substantially faster than the speed of traffic. It's a lot safer and a lot less stressful to avoid that turn altogether.

Another example is when I go to Upstate NY, I always want to take the Garden State Parkway and not the NJ turnpike so I'm more relaxed and in less fear for my life :)

I really wish the way I can save favorite destinations, that I will be able save entire routes with waypoints.

This would also really help FSD take a better preferred route known by local drivers.

I can imagine being able to save routes with waypoints also being really useful for people who test FSD.

Any thoughts on this?

100% needed now - especially after FSD. The only apparent method of getting them to do this is to tweet elon!
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 10.59.37 AM.png

Reactions: K5TRX and DCEV
Yeah we want Waypoints that much :)

But I hope they don't just throw in waypoints and call it a day but the real importance of waypoints, especially when used with FSD, is the ability to SAVE AN ENTIRE ROUTE with Waypoints and then have FSD drive that preferred route with Waypoints.

A bunch of drives I make regularly are easier with my preferred local routes than the computer generated routes. It's a hassle to disengage and reengage FSD to take your preferred route.

Waypoints for occasional use is nice but their real use is when you can save predefined routes with Waypoints.

For example, imagine if you are traveling somewhere and you want to save the entire route for a scenic drive with waypoints. You can then have FSD drive that route any time in the future. This way you can plan entire trips so the routes are all preplanned before you or FSD start driving.

When people Tweet Elon, from now on, can you please start saying "Waypoints with the ability to save routes with Waypoints for future use?" 😁 😁 😁

Yes! I want the nav to offer multiple routes like Waze and other nav's do. I don't take the shortest route to work every morning for many reasons (traffic mostly) and the Tesla nav always chooses the shortest route. :-|

Reactions: K5TRX
Anyone tried using Google navigation for FSD Beta - with way points ? I know we could send navigation to the car from google maps - not sure whther that allows waypoints or whether FSD would use that.

ps : Apparently no waypoints thr' google nav.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I have to continually disengage and turn to take me away from the calculated route: a long 2 lane high speed bidirectional road instead of the safer side streets.

Yeah it almost feels bad to disengage because I want disengagements to be for actual cause.

Most of the disengagements so far have been because I want the car to take a different route.

Also when you travel, you may want to specifically take a certain route because it's more scenic but it's hard to do with the navigation insisting on a certain route. The real power of waypoints come when you can save routes with waypoints.

How awesome would it be to save routes like "Commute to work," "Hudson Valley Fall Foliage Route" etc.,

The other benefit is you can then specifically select Supercharger you want to use with certain specific amnesties you want to use.

Nav seems like its been neglected for a long time at this point, I think the last time (Sept 2019) they added anything was those silly randomized POI buttons (Hungry and Lucky). That was just cruel. I'd love to see big dramatic changes to nav, like they should integrate the map tiles into the FSD view so it becomes seamless instead of split in two. I think there was something like that in the Cybertruck prototype.

Last edited:
All they really need to do is allow other nav apps like google, apple, waze to give the Tesla nav the route via the phone app. The best option of course would be to have waze or other nav native on the Tesla OS, but I fear that's far away or never gonna happen.

Nav seems like its been neglected for a long time at this point, I think the last time (Sept 2019) they added anything was those silly randomized POI buttons (Hungry and Lucky). That was just cruel. I'd love to see big dramatic changes to nav, like they should integrate the map tiles into the FSD view so it becomes seamless instead of split in two. I think there was something like that in the Cybertruck prototype.

I've always found Nav to be a bit cumbersome. On long trips where I want to take a certain route, it's such a hassle to constantly change destination addresses to try and coax the route I want and then you lose the ability to see your destination arrival time because you are always navigating to some intermediate destination.

Using FSD and not being able to save routes with waypoints makes you really appreciate how nice it would be if we could save routes with waypoints because you would not need to constantly disengage the route with intermediary destinations.

I hope they don't just toss in waypoints one day with no option to save a route with waypoints.

Sometimes it is to make the route less stressful, faster, safer, shorter, better access to parking, or some other combination of those factors.

THIS!

When you put an address into Google Maps, it gives you route options. Apple Maps- same. Hell, even the old Mapquest on Netscape Navigator gave us options.

Tesla? No. You WILL take this route, and you will go nowhere else. It would be nice if they would either offer us a choice of routes, or the use of waypoints to force a certain route to our destination.

That tweet from Musk, agreeing to waypoints, is well over a year old now. I understand they are busy with FSD, but life goes on for the rest of us.

THIS!

When you put an address into Google Maps, it gives you route options. Apple Maps- same. Hell, even the old Mapquest on Netscape Navigator gave us options.

Tesla? No. You WILL take this route, and you will go nowhere else. It would be nice if they would either offer us a choice of routes, or the use of waypoints to force a certain route to our destination.

That tweet from Musk, agreeing to waypoints, is well over a year old now. I understand they are busy with FSD, but life goes on for the rest of us.

I really fell like with FSD Beta now going to more people, Waypoints and being able to save routes is even more useful.

For example, I would only use navigation when traveling some place far but with FSD beta you use navigation for lots of local places and oftentimes the routes it choses are not what someone who lives locally might chose.

Offering alternate routes is helpful but the real benefit comes when you can save your preferred commonly used routes defined by Waypoints for future use by FSD. For example when I go to pick up my dry cleaning, I take a certain route that gives me access to my secret parking area :)

Especially in the context of FSD, The benefit of Waypoints is greatly diminished if we are not able to save actual routes with waypoints.

I take a special route to get to work that avoids construction, a couple of nasty intersections, and clogged up traffic. Come to think of it, for many local destinations, I use better routes that I would love for FSD to also use.

When you have a route preplanned with waypoints, there should be an option to save it to favorites.

Reactions: scottf200
Wow this is GREAT news but the real value and use case for waypoints is for all the local drives we do with FSD Beta using our special/custom local routes so the drives can be repeated. My daily work commute for example takes a route quite different from the autogenerated route and it's oh so much better!

Any idea if there is the option to save a route with waypoints?

Hopefully the next fsd build has this important update.

This Waypoint update is "way" more important for FSD than manual driving.
Kind of agree - until I do a day trip that the standard Nav would leave me stranded and I have to use ABRP on my phone instead :rolleyes:
But for the rest of the times I'm trying to setup a decent test route (which is more often) then "stops" will be much more helpful.
Hopefully they will appear on beta cars as quickly as sentry live view did.
Then the next ask will be - please let me save the route :D

Reactions: EVNow