Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Maps should be coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the Tesla navigation claimed an unrealistic 18 minute ETA, and the route that it took wasn't even offered by Google Maps, but Waze offered it with a 38 minute ETA. Based off my past experience, getting on that particular road would have definitely resulted in a ~40 minute commute.

At least Tesla is consistent when it comes to unrealistic time projects. (insert smirking emoticon here)

SDK for Tesla has been promised for years. When I bought my first MS in 2013 is was "coming soon" as was the Model X. Maybe "soon" is finally materializing? I wish (nicer nav and ability to write an app for radar detector integration would be awesome so I don't have to have a separate screen), but I wouldn't hold my breath. With Tesla, soon means just before before eventually - you may not even have your car anymore by the time it actually comes, if it ever does.

Oh man, this is so needed. Instead of the nav just taking the shortest distance and not even looking at traffic, we might get something that actually does! Appreciate the knowledge OP, exciting times!
So I guess there are different levels of NAV sw in the cars? My MX definitely understands traffic and reroutes, sometimes needlessly, just to save a few minutes on a multi hour trip.

No, they all have the same NAV software and you can turn that traffic based routing off (which many of us do to avoid being taken on a bad route).
Thanks. I just generally ignore it and go over to WAZE to actually figure out what might cause the re routing. If major then OK. If BAU I just let it go and most of the time it seems to go back to the original routing, even before I get to the decision point.

Reactions: jbcarioca
So I guess there are different levels of NAV sw in the cars? My MX definitely understands traffic and reroutes, sometimes needlessly, just to save a few minutes on a multi hour trip.

We know that the maps/navigation on the 17" is Google maps while the navigation that works offline and is the database that supplies the data which is used to generate the turn-by-turn guide and imagery on the instrument cluster is Navigon (with their proprietary map data, stored in the car locally for offline use).

(If you look at this screenshot you can see that updating the maps is an action in the Tesla firmware, I interpret it as "download the newest version of the [Navigon] offline maps to the car")

image.jpeg

However, it seems that real time data from Google Traffic will occasionally re-route the path, only this time using a function that is available in the Navigon system (which has not been employed in the Tesla UI software): avoid a certain route/road/intersection/area.

Looking forward to Whaze which will be so much better than this quilt of a nav user experience as construed by the Tesla software engineers...

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca and Nevek
We know that the maps/navigation on the 17" is Google maps while the navigation that works offline and is the database that supplies the data which is used to generate the turn-by-turn guide and imagery on the instrument cluster is Navigon (with their proprietary map data, stored in the car locally for offline use).

(If you look at this screenshot you can see that updating the maps is an action in the Tesla firmware, I interpret it as "download the newest version of the [Navigon] offline maps to the car")

View attachment 181432

However, it seems that real time data from Google Traffic will occasionally re-route the path, only this time using a function that is available in the Navigon system (which has not been employed in the Tesla UI software): avoid a certain route/road/intersection/area.

Looking forward to Whaze which will be so much better than this quilt of a nav user experience as construed by the Tesla software engineers...
For me in my geographical area the "occasional re-route" as you call it happens about 60% of the time and almost all of those are unnessary.

Also, as far as I know there have only been 2 or 3 updates to Navigon since 2012 of which the latest was this past January which was the first since October 2014.

For me in my geographical area the "occasional re-route" as you call it happens about 60% of the time and almost all of those are unnessary.

Also, as far as I know there have only been 2 or 3 updates to Navigon since 2012 of which the latest was this past January which was the first since October 2014.

I'm not 100% sure my description of the current system is exactly correct, it's just my best guesstimate as to how the system is made up. Doesn't change the fact that a well constructed everything-in-one application will be much better.

Reactions: msnow
I got my first re-route yesterday. I was on I-94E going to the Chicago Tesla Group's meetup in Milwaukee and it had me take Blue Mound Road and then re-join I-94E. Confused by that I looked closer at the map and saw a big red stretch on 94E. So I trusted the nav and took the bypass.

The only other hint of a re-route was a pop-up I saw the other day because it thought it had a better route to something on my calendar (something I wasn't going to anyway). The pop-up had a link to a setting where you could decide how many minutes difference before it offered another route. I should have paid more attention to it.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

Actually I believe there is a setting in the map, by default a savings of 5 minutes will offer redirected routes. I have moved that up to 15 minutes, so only in the most significant backups will I be redirected off the intended path to avoid traffic in my Model S.

I did the same thing and it worked. Driving home the other day it wanted to route me around traffic on 287 in NJ. As I got closer to the "detour" it changed it back because the traffic cleared.

So far I've used the nav 5 times. I used Waze along side it. The routes have been the same each time including routing me a different way home from my office due to traffic. So far so good

Reactions: EVie'sDad
Since the first Model S was built, we haven't seen much improvement in the navigation software. The (beta) Trip Planner and the range warnings (if there's risk of driving out of range of a charger) were nice additions - but so much more could be done.

It's understandable that we haven't seen many improvements to the nav software over the last 4 years - because of additional complexity caused by the marriage between software & data from Navigon, Tesla and Google.

A better solution is to have an integrated system - that uses the same data (hopefully an online database, that eliminates the "annual map updates") and software - on both the dashboard and touchscreen. And with a single software package, it would be much easier to implement the missing nav features.

My 2007 Lexus had a number of features missing in Tesla's nav software - waypoints, points-of-interest display (especially useful for upcoming highway exits on the route), route customization, and warnings about upcoming traffic restrictions (like - accident ahead, left lanes blocked).

It was understandable that the initial nav software had functionality limits. But four years later, it's harder to justify - unless Tesla is planning a complete overhaul of the navigation software. And if that's the case, it makes sense that they'd limit adding new features to what we have today - and instead focus their nav software resources in getting it right, with a more integrated and functional solution.

Do we have any indication on Tesla's plans to improve the navigation software?

Reactions: ldgrmnmc
Since the first Model S was built, we haven't seen much improvement in the navigation software. The (beta) Trip Planner and the range warnings (if there's risk of driving out of range of a charger) were nice additions - but so much more could be done.

It's understandable that we haven't seen many improvements to the nav software over the last 4 years - because of additional complexity caused by the marriage between software & data from Navigon, Tesla and Google.

A better solution is to have an integrated system - that uses the same data (hopefully an online database, that eliminates the "annual map updates") and software - on both the dashboard and touchscreen. And with a single software package, it would be much easier to implement the missing nav features.

My 2007 Lexus had a number of features missing in Tesla's nav software - waypoints, points-of-interest display (especially useful for upcoming highway exits on the route), route customization, and warnings about upcoming traffic restrictions (like - accident ahead, left lanes blocked).

It was understandable that the initial nav software had functionality limits. But four years later, it's harder to justify - unless Tesla is planning a complete overhaul of the navigation software. And if that's the case, it makes sense that they'd limit adding new features to what we have today - and instead focus their nav software resources in getting it right, with a more integrated and functional solution.

Do we have any indication on Tesla's plans to improve the navigation software?
Not that I'm aware of and I agree with your post 100%. The only reason I can think of for Tesla wanting to use something like a Navigon database instead of an internet based system is in case the car loses connectivity it would stop functioning but that can be solved the way Google did it by allowing the user to download various locations to the device.