Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We need to talk about Side Mirror Controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car memorizes both settings forward AND reverse, put the car in reverse and setup your mirrors as you like, next time you put reverse will go to the position previously set.

However.... and this is my personal experience... I would like to have 2 reverse settings.

Moving forward I need only one position but...

When I go in reverse I would like to have one setting to see the curb that I currently have, however the mirrors are so tilted down that are useless to see around the car (not in the back of the car since the camera is great for that).

And another setting to see around the car to know if I'm going to hit another car with the bumper or a tree in the sidewalk.

Note: my car doesn't have park assist since the option was not available at that time.

BTW I use more than one 'reverse' setting of my mirrors (both driver and passenger side) - one for when I am in reverse and another for when I am in forward (just set another user profile called 'parking').

Of course you should remember to default back to normal driving position when driving!

I have my forward set to eliminate blind spots, and my reverse points both mirrors directly at the rear wheels for curbs. The backup camera is so wide it picks up everything else. Seems to work great for 99% of my needs.

Having to press a save button once when you set up is not ideal, but manually adjusting your mirrors every time you park is?
Agreed. Seems a little unusual. I've had a bunch of mirror issues, but this hasn't been one of them. Though, to be fair, I set it up once and then maybe half a dozen times have temporarily adjusted them to park (hitting restore afterword), so maybe they're also prone to malfunctioning and I just haven't noticed.

I don't feel like I can contribute much to this thread other than this:

I've used my hazard lights button more than I've used the side mirror adjustment buttons. I've used the hazard lights button 3 times since purchasing the vehicle. As such, I have no understanding why Tesla would/should invest any additional effort or money into (re)design of the side mirror adjustment buttons.

Ok lemme ask this: can one pre-set the reverse tilt to one's liking? Or is there only one reverse-tilt mirror position for all? My assumption is the latter. If I am wrong, great.

You certainly can pre-set the tilt. Just put the car in reverse, adjust the mirrors to how you like them, and then press save on your driver profile.

..Tesla, you need to fix this.
Brian, I got a few good LOL's from this post, so well done sir. I totally agree bad design on the controls for the mirrors, windows, and turn signal. Unless I look down, I hit the wrong window nearly every single time trying to roll mine down... even when I'm concentrating on not doing so.. I think it is because of the lack of a tactile ridge that's on most front drivers' window switches.
Like other folks have said, most of these parts came from Mercedes. Who knows why Tesla thought it was a good idea to choose this particular set of gear when they could've used something much more traditional that can be operated without looking like you describe. In the meantime, enjoy the forward/reverse save positions

Last edited:
When not looking, I hit the wrong window nearly every single time trying to roll mine down... even when I'm trying not to... so strange.

Every car I've ever owned (except the first that had roll down windows) used the same layout for the 4 windows.

It's a group of of 4 buttons laid out exactly the same as windows are (two in front and two in back). How can that be made any easier or more logical?

Every car I've ever owned (except the first that had roll down windows) used the same layout for the 4 windows.

It's a group of of 4 buttons laid out exactly the same as windows are (two in front and two in back). How can that be made any easier or more logical?

I don't have the OP's issue with the mirrors - I think he just didn't understand the ability to customize the reverse setting

However I agree with @SeminoleFSU on the window buttons. They are logically laid out, but I do find that without a tactile differentiation of the driver's button I lower the left rear window by mistake every few times. My finger lands on the button and I press it before realizing it's not my window. Because I'm focused on doing something else (usually making a left turn into the garage entrance at work) I don't bother spending the time to feel out both rows of buttons.

Brian is also dead on with the lag on the mirror adjustments. Although I haven't done it in quite a while after setting it, I distinctly remember it feeling laggy, and software laggy at that.. of course I say all this while I'm drooling to drive my car because I'm snowed/iced in here in Atlanta for a few days... The control annoyances definitely aren't enough to keep me from suffering from a little T-grin withdrawal. :)

Last edited:

I don't think (or know of any way) they can make it more logical, but I, too, have the same issue. Always have for any car I've owned with power windows. I guess just the way I sit, the rear controls are most easily reached.