Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A different view of those wheel covers...

Tesla-Current-Concept-02.jpg

Obviously any aerodynamic benefit is totally destroyed by the rest of the car :biggrin:

The black part isn't hollow showing the tires, it's black trim on the wheelcover. I've seen concept cars designed like this. I think people just want to see the wheel shape even with the wheels covered. Just like people would not have accepted the Model X nose when the S was unveiled. Now that people have accepted Tesla and understand the grill isn't needed, they've warmed up to the idea of no grill at all.
This is one of the reasons I think there is a good chance that there could be this kind of design.
19" or 21" alloy wheels and tires are darned expensive - with this kind of design you can create the look of 21's but fit a smaller cheaper wheel/tire combination, maybe even pressed steel wheels.

The black part isn't hollow showing the tires, it's black trim on the wheelcover. I've seen concept cars designed like this. I think people just want to see the wheel shape even with the wheels covered. Just like people would not have accepted the Model X nose when the S was unveiled. Now that people have accepted Tesla and understand the grill isn't needed, they've warmed up to the idea of no grill at all.

what MM3 meant was that the front wheels couldn't turn left or right for steering purposes :eek: doesn't look possible.

But I think it looks great.

what MM3 meant was that the front wheels couldn't turn left or right for steering purposes :eek: doesn't look possible.

But I think it looks great.

You could attach the front wheel covers to the hubs and have a counter rotating mechanism to keep them from rotating with the tires, but it would be horribly impractical, prone to plugging up with mud and snow, and get dinged up from just normal driving. Such covers would only work for a show car.

Modern alloy wheels are usually less aerodynamic than traditional hub caps on steel rims. Going back to hub caps for the base model and offering alloy wheels that are aerodynamic like the aero wheels Tesla offered for a short time on the Model S on higher trim models would help with drag problems. In kmanauto's videos on YouTube, he saw a noticeable increase in range when he got aero rims installed on his S 60. He's planning on moving them to his 90D when he gets it.

Cheap steel wheels with plastic hubcaps will reduce cost by a couple of $1000. It is a must for the 3. S and X owners may want them as well.

I'd go for 17 inch wheels on steel rims for a Model S. It's not trendy, but I think larger sidewalls look fine, and wider sidewall tires tend to last longer. But then I'm probably a weirdo.

I think tire companies are over the moon that low profile tires are popular. They get to sell more tires because the tires get damaged more easily (especially the ultra low sidewall tires) and many wear out quicker.

I could be wrong, that's just my impression from hearing people's stories. The only tires made for my car these days are intended for pickups. The exact size my car takes aren't even made anymore, last time I bought tires I had to compromise and go with a slightly smaller tire.

That car is so ridiculously low to the ground that it's only good on a track. Hit a speed bump, a pothole, or even a 2-inch rock in the road and you've taken out the front of the car. Plus the fenders are so close to the tires that the tires have nowhere to go for small bumps. Even on the track it seems like it would be impractical for racing, but really I wouldn't know.

Seems like a lot of money to put into a track-only car, but everybody's gotta have a hobby, and I guess if you can afford it...

But yes, it most definitely looks very cool!

That car is so ridiculously low to the ground that it's only good on a track. Hit a speed bump, a pothole, or even a 2-inch rock in the road and you've taken out the front of the car. Plus the fenders are so close to the tires that the tires have nowhere to go for small bumps. Even on the track it seems like it would be impractical for racing, but really I wouldn't know.

Seems like a lot of money to put into a track-only car, but everybody's gotta have a hobby, and I guess if you can afford it... But yes, it most definitely looks very cool!

I agree, but it sure is a fun hobby ... you should see the ride height of my track car :cool:

That car is so ridiculously low to the ground that it's only good on a track.
Except that the S is no good on the track, since it'll overheat and go into low-power mode after a lap or two...

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, but it sure is a fun hobby ... you should see the ride height of my track car :cool:
Expensive hobby, too... $1000 for a set of tires, $1200 for a set of front rotors, etc (996 GT3 here).