Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[rant]

Model Y ... it has the same amount of charm as Model A.

Model S sounds like swift, sleek, silent.

Model X sounds cool.

Model Y sounds like nothing. Surely there's a better name out there!

[/rant]

I have also said it a few times here that 3-door would be a deal breaker for us also. Let me spin this around - you who have talked about Model 3 being coupe (2 seater or 2+2, no back doors) is it something that you really believe that the Model 3 will be? Or something you would like it to be?

Of course, my own needs and preferences distort my opinions, but I honestly believe that for Model 3 to be really a mass market car, it needs dedicated doors to back seats. I also view that a big single falcon wing door, as some have suggested, doesn't really cut it and would also be too expensive.

Frankly I would be disappointed if the Model 3 comes with Falcon Wing Doors in any way, shape, or form. Let's keep it mechanically simple. I'd rather spend my pennies on a larger battery or supercharging than funky (albeit cool) doors. They're great on a luxury CUV like Model X, but don't really have a place on a sedan. Besides, with 500,000 Model 3 rolling off the line each year, Falcon Wing Doors would get old fast anyway.

For aerodynamics the Model 3 can't have a square back if they want the cd<0.24.
It may have some kind of lift back, but it will be much more rounded than a typical hatchback.
Elon Musk has said the Model 3 will be a sedan, which is generally defined at a 4 door car.

This may be an incorrect assumption based on the Model S Sedan - it is a 5 door hatchback ... :cool:

Last edited:
Assuming that the Model Y will be the CUV version of the Model 3 sedan (which might be an incorrect assumption) I can readily envision such a CUV having Falcon Wings. Now that Tesla has figured out how to build the Falcon Wings, they may not be as expensive to mass produce as some might imagine. And a single wide Falcon Wing could simultaneously provide first and second row seating access. Which I think could be awesome.
Elon mention in a tweet (since deleted) that they were going to do Falcon Wing doors on the Model Y (CUV on the Model 3 platform). Time will tell if they actually do.

View attachment 108852

Last edited:
How is it we're two months out and no spy shots yet?!!! The auto paparazzi are slipping...Tesla has better security than the CIA...grrrr

Unlike EV's which can be driven inside ICE prototypes have to be driven outdoors giving paparazzi's a decided advantage in ICE spy shots.
Now I'm not saying Tesla hasn't or won't have a mule out in the wild before the unveiling just that for the prototype they may feel that is not necessary yet.

indoor track.PNG

Last edited:
Assuming that the Model Y will be the CUV version of the Model 3 sedan (which might be an incorrect assumption) I can readily envision such a CUV having Falcon Wings. Now that Tesla has figured out how to build the Falcon Wings, they may not be as expensive to mass produce as some might imagine. And a single wide Falcon Wing could simultaneously provide first and second row seating access. Which I think could be awesome.
I think it really would be a gimmick to have it in a car with only two rows. For the same reason that sliding doors don't make sense for a car with only two rows, the falcon wings don't.

With all this talk about doors, people are forgetting the fact that there is a real possibility that it will be 3 doors.

I don't think there's any chance of a 3-door unless you count the hatchback as one.

Of course, Elon also said that the Model 3 won't look like other cars, so there will definitely be something unique about it, but I"m quite sure it won't be the doors. The CUV variant will likely have the falcon wing doors, but that's probably all the adventure we'll see for doors. I expect he uniqueness to be simply shape and wheel covers or low drag hub caps.

Tesla wants people to look at the Model 3 as a "gotta have it" car, not something that gives any possible reason to reject it. It's hard enough for them to sell the idea of trusting a battery-only car. A 3-door would be a deal breaker for many, including me, as would be the way the i3 rear doors require the front door to be opened first.

Franz did some excellent work while at Mazda on concept cars. Given Elon's comments on wanting to do something "radical" for Model 3 how many would consider something like the Mazda Nagere concept from 2006?

Concept Car of the Week: Mazda Nagare (2006) - Car Design News

It is too "weirdmobile" for you? I think it has potential with some tweaks here and there.
That thing looks amazing, especially that is was from 2006 as well.
With some pretty obvious none starter things like single, central front seat and odd little slits for lights etc.
I would imaging the costs of producing that vast expanse of compound curved glass would be rather high as well.
Overall profile looks darned good though.

Good point about all that curved glass. Costly to replace. Overall, I don't hate it. Yeah, some major tweaks here and there would make this more acceptable to most.

And that back end looks very Model S-like to me. I could see them both coming from the same designer.

BackEnd.JPG

That thing looks amazing, especially that is was from 2006 as well.
With some pretty obvious none starter things like single, central front seat and odd little slits for lights etc.
I would imaging the costs of producing that vast expanse of compound curved glass would be rather high as well.
Overall profile looks darned good though.

Totally agree on this. This would be a good staring point for the Model 3 :)

I couldn't possibly agree with you more. Makes kid loading/unloading much easier in all situations. Cool factor doesn't hurt either. :)

I couldn't possibly agree with you more. Makes kid loading/unloading much easier in all situations. Cool factor doesn't hurt either. :)

It seems I got the role of being the party pooper again, sorry about that :D Buuuuut, when it's -20C (-4F), windy and you go to pick up your wife and kid, whose child seat is behind you, you really get to feel the 'cool factor' when you're directly exposed to the elements when the door is open while wife is putting your kid to the child seat ;)

It seems I got the role of being the party pooper again, sorry about that :D Buuuuut, when it's -20C (-4F), windy and you go to pick up your wife and kid, whose child seat is behind you, you really get to feel the 'cool factor' when you're directly exposed to the elements when the door is open while wife is putting your kid to the child seat ;)

But -20C to you Finnish people is like a summers breeze. You are acclimatised to it. :biggrin:

I don't get the whole argument of the weather elements vs. falcon wing doors. ALL doors open. A falcon wing door opens like the back hatch of most minivans as far as opening size goes.
For all intents and purposes, a FWD opens and closes about the same speed as an automatic sliding minivan door, but it provides more advantages.

As per Elon's tweet, if the Y has FWDs, better stop whining and accept the fact! :)

Those that live in northern climates are already used to the cold, and any perceived worsening of weather impact will be negligent. Are people that weak, that they can't handle a slight breeze or blowing wind/rain?

If the car only have one big FWD on each side for bow rows Tesla must include an emergency door "ejection" system like Mercedes did on the SLS AMG, because if an accident ends with the car upside down you should be able to open the door (this is not a problem in Model X as the car have traditional front doors).