Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We will need a lot more Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Didn't miss it. So, where is all the news of these new service centers being built? To build over 200 in less than two years they must be starting some of them by now, right? It takes a lot longer to build and staff a service center than to get a supercharger up and running.
There's a service center opening in Indy pretty sometime soon as well. Made local news. I highly doubt each service station is going to make national news.

If you go on to Tesla's map the service centers coming soon are in gray.
Find Us | Tesla

Last edited:
One is in Austin, opening in the next few days.

Nice. Let's find the rest!

It looks like the Austin one was announced in 2013, so, three years to build? I notice San Antonio was announced as coming soon in 2014. New Orleans was also announced in 2014, but is still coming soon. The Oklahoma City one appears to have been rejected by the zoning commission in August 2015. It looks like the Albuquerque one is being held up by a New Mexico law. Omaha was announced in 2014, Indianapolis looks like it was announced this year and might be starting soon. Pittsburg showed up on the map sometime in 2015 and the plans were approved last month. Detroit is on the coming soon list, but I am guessing that will be a battle. Baltimore is on the coming soon list, but I can't find any info for it.

So it looks like many of the coming soon service centers on the current US map have been there for a few years (well before the 3 announcement). This seems like a super slow pace, unless most of the SC expansion will happen overseas.

Reactions: Matias
They're "building" one in Miami. Used to be an old Mercury dealer, I believe. They don't necessarily have to built them from the ground up. They didn't build their Fremont factory from the ground up. And is Tesla supposed to put out a press release every time they start construction on a service center or when a service center opens for business?

And is Tesla supposed to put out a press release every time they start construction on a service center or when a service center opens for business?

No, they do not. But this forum is pretty good at keeping track of new service centers as well as new superchargers, so if they start trending upwards, we should see it here first.

Frankly, they would do much better by improving the factory out the door quality so that folks don't have long punch lists when they pick up their cars. That would relieve a lot of the overcrowding I would imagine.

New service center and sales center opening in San Francisco (999 Van Ness Avenue--old British Motors dealer) next Tuesday--will be the largest such center in the USA. Multi story building--interior space for service and parking. Doubt it will have charging.

Frankly, they would do much better by improving the factory out the door quality so that folks don't have long punch lists when they pick up their cars. That would relieve a lot of the overcrowding I would imagine.

I think all of us and Tesla themselves would agree with that. But most regions still needs more service centers even if the production quality were improved.

I think all of us and Tesla themselves would agree with that. But most regions still needs more service centers even if the production quality were improved.

The Boston area currently has 2 Service Centers. From all I've heard from local owners, at least one of those SC's is cramped and regularly full.

But they've also stated that they've heard the search is on for a new location.

And just using some anecdotal evidence (my eyes), some of the immediate north and west suburbs of Boston (Weston, Lincoln, Sudbury, Carlisle, Concord, etc) already have a decent concentration of Teslas. Add in the Model 3, and the need for a larger Service Center in that area becomes apparent. I don't know if we'll end up with 3 Service Centers..all signs point to Tesla closing the Watertown SC and moving somewhere with a larger footprint.

(Selfishly, I wouldn't mind them being on the NW side of 128/95, as that would put me within 20 minutes of one).

It depends... The major issue is that right now Tesla doesn't really do service for profit, unlike dealerships and typical mom and pop places.
Tesla also likes to control the customer experience. Customers generally rate their customer experience as unlike anything they've experienced before with an auto manufacturers.

If customers start getting poor service and/or starting blaming problems on Tesla, then that affects business.
So Tesla hires and TRAINS its new employees how to give good service, and for the most part, pull this off. Many companies hire from the same pool of prospective hires . and for some reason can't get their hire to be outstanding. I've seen some Mom and Pop give great service (their survivorship depends on repeat customers). I've also seen folks treat customers like "the customer is always wrong..I don't need your business".Takes all kinds. Tesla did not invent great customer service...its part of most employees. It just seems to be better cultivated there. I can see a path where Mom and Pops could be cultivated to provide customer care to Tesla owners. Train them in the electronics, encourage them in being friendly and drop those that can't keep up the pace. As to Profit from Service? I can see there being a cost reimbursement program where both Tesla and Mom and Pop are treated fair. Simple? no, but achievable.

I'm still waiting to hear about a new SC coming to my end of New York. Currently the closest one is 3 hours away in Cleveland. Toronto is less than 2 hours away but I'm not sure if I will be able to take my M3 to another country for service.

The Boston area currently has 2 Service Centers. From all I've heard from local owners, at least one of those SC's is cramped and regularly full.

But they've also stated that they've heard the search is on for a new location.

And just using some anecdotal evidence (my eyes), some of the immediate north and west suburbs of Boston (Weston, Lincoln, Sudbury, Carlisle, Concord, etc) already have a decent concentration of Teslas. Add in the Model 3, and the need for a larger Service Center in that area becomes apparent. I don't know if we'll end up with 3 Service Centers..all signs point to Tesla closing the Watertown SC and moving somewhere with a larger footprint.

(Selfishly, I wouldn't mind them being on the NW side of 128/95, as that would put me within 20 minutes of one).

My hope would be Springfield, ma. that way the hole around Springfield/Hartford area would get filled and I would be only an hour away. For southern vt that is closest I hope to see a service center for a long time.

The people at Tesla are very smart and already thinking about the service center shortage for model 3 I am sure. I just hope that they are not leaning too hard on the hope that the model 3 having no to little problems despite greater manufacturing simplicity. Even if they achieve twice the reliability of the S and X, I predict they will have a service crisis on their hands within the first year if they meet their productivity goals.

I'm still waiting to hear about a new SC coming to my end of New York. Currently the closest one is 3 hours away in Cleveland. Toronto is less than 2 hours away but I'm not sure if I will be able to take my M3 to another country for service.
Talk to your state legislators. New York limits the number of Tesla locations at the behest of the state auto dealer cartel.

ICE dealerships keep the doors open from service work. They don't do very well on new car sales. If Tesla is going to make money, lots of money, on service, why would they give that work away? It seems likely to me that the entire company's profit margin could come from service.

I willing to bet that in a couple of years, the service shortage will be behind Tesla. They don't need to make a profit for a long time, makes everything easier.

I hate that supercharger and service center are abriviated as SC. Maybe SvC is better?

Last edited: