Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We will need a lot more Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Along the lines of service contracts, does anybody know if changing of the HEPA Bio Defense Mode filter is included as normal maintenance under the service agreement? I imagine that would be a pretty sizeable expense if the owner had to pay for it.

Dan
Probably included in the service you pay for (either individual or the service contract).
I don't think it will be that expensive. HEPA filters are pretty common (my furnace has a huge one and it's not that expensive to replace).
This guy has the standard Model S filter for $17 including shipping:
Fits: TESLA - CABIN AIR FILTER A/C Pollen Odors Carbon HVAC Heater 8CAF314PD
Probably only a matter of time until there is one for the X.

What if they contracted service work to dealerships? This may be a compromise to get the dealerships to back off the direct sales model. Tesla would have to train the dealers to work on their cars but could be very strict about pricing/up-selling.

Blasphemy!

I'm not going to hit dislike, I'm just going to say that it's going to be a cold day in hell before that happens.... You're going to give me nightmares.

Blasphemy!

I'm not going to hit dislike, I'm just going to say that it's going to be a cold day in hell before that happens.... You're going to give me nightmares.
I agree it wouldn't be ideal, but Elon has said they would probably rethink the direct sales model in the future. I would rather have to deal with dealerships for service if that meant Tesla could continue direct sales. We just bought a new Honda and I was ready to walk out of there multiple times. I feel like they would have much more control over the service side of things.

I agree it wouldn't be ideal, but Elon has said they would probably rethink the direct sales model in the future. I would rather have to deal with dealerships for service if that meant Tesla could continue direct sales. We just bought a new Honda and I was ready to walk out of there multiple times. I feel like they would have much more control over the service side of things.

Elon would give the service contract to Pep Boys before any stealership service centers got it.

Reactions: M0DEL³ and JeffK
So how do we lobby for a new service center? The Asheville, NC area is a hot spot for EVs and plug-ins. For example, the Ford dealer sells every CMax and Fusion Energi he can get. Plenty of Teslas around here. There is also an active EV club and charging infrastructure including a Supercharger. Charlotte is a bit far! Thoughts?

Reactions: dhrivnak
So how do we lobby for a new service center? The Asheville, NC area is a hot spot for EVs and plug-ins. For example, the Ford dealer sells every CMax and Fusion Energi he can get. Plenty of Teslas around here. There is also an active EV club and charging infrastructure including a Supercharger. Charlotte is a bit far! Thoughts?
Get all of your friends and relatives to put down a $1,000 deposit for a model 3. I'm only half joking. The most likely way that Tesla will determine where new SC's will be placed will be based on where there are cars to service. It's that simple (with the exception of states that ban them).

Reactions: melindav
If you listen to the Model 3 launch Elon said that there would be a Service Center close to every major metro area by the end of next year.
Yeah, but what does he mean by "major"? Some people use "major" to mean just the top ten.

There are 382 Metropolitan Statistical Areas in the United States. I'd be quite happy if there were an SC within two hours drive of the any point in every one of those 382, but I think that's not what he meant.

Ok I went back and listened to the Model 3 reveal again, and he said that they were more than doubling store/service centers from 215 now to 441 by the end of next year and that "if you are near even a mid-sized metro area that you will be able to buy a car and get your car serviced." (Essentially anywhere in NA, Asia, and Europe.)

No that's not what he said. Many of the press reports left out the context. He was replying to a question about the ability to sell in all 50 states.
I agree it wouldn't be ideal, but Elon has said they would probably rethink the direct sales model in the future. I would rather have to deal with dealerships for service if that meant Tesla could continue direct sales. We just bought a new Honda and I was ready to walk out of there multiple times. I feel like they would have much more control over the service side of things.[/QUOT

What if they contracted service work to dealerships? This may be a compromise to get the dealerships to back off the direct sales model. Tesla would have to train the dealers to work on their cars but could be very strict about pricing/up-selling.
No! No! No! No dealerships! I nominate this post for worst idea of the year. One of the best things about Tesla is the direct sales and service.

Blasphemy!

If done right it can be a big help. Making me go 200 miles to the nearest service center is frustrating and expensive. I have gotten great service from GM and Toyota over the past 15 years. No complaints about Tesla I just wish they still had the Ranger program.

Crazy idea: Because of the flood of new EVs/Teslas being produced between now and forever, and if given the option, I wonder if Tesla would offer traditional "mom and pop" auto repair shops and/or service stations a chance to become "Tesla Certified," with a built-in referral program for Tesla owners and mechanics (yes, think of EVs opening up a new industry: Tesla/EV mechanics), based on the quality of their previous work. That could be potentially a win-win, depending on your POV. Kind of analogous to opening up new Tesla Superchargers, but without construction from scratch. Speaking of Superchargers, allowing these same "mom and pops" the potential to add a Supercharger at their stations at a reduced rate and/or using a bidding process. The infrastructure is already there, it's just a matter of implementation.

Last edited:
Crazy idea: Because of the flood of new EVs/Teslas being produced between now and forever, and if given the option, I wonder if Tesla would offer traditional "mom and pop" auto repair shops and/or service stations a chance to become "Tesla Certified," with a built-in referral program for Tesla owners and mechanics (yes, think of EVs opening up a new industry: Tesla/EV mechanics), based on the quality of their previous work. That could be potentially a win-win, depending on your POV. Kind of analogous to opening up new Tesla Superchargers, but without construction from scratch. Speaking of Superchargers, allowing these same "mom and pops" the potential to add a Supercharger at their stations at a reduced rate and/or using a bidding process. The infrastructure is already there, it's just a matter of implementation.

It depends... The major issue is that right now Tesla doesn't really do service for profit, unlike dealerships and typical mom and pop places.
Tesla also likes to control the customer experience. Customers generally rate their customer experience as unlike anything they've experienced before with an auto manufacturers.

If customers start getting poor service and/or starting blaming problems on Tesla, then that affects business.

• Informative
Reactions: SuperOmega
The stories I am hearing about the long service times due to the release of the Model X are a bit worrisome. I hope they have all the kinks worked out of the X in 2 years when 3's start rolling off the line.

I am also not hearing about tons of new service centers being built. Lots of folks here seems to think Tesla has it all under control and will magically build out the huge service center network in 2 years, but I am not so sure. We should be seeing evidence of that happening now.

Reactions: Matias
You must have missed the Model 3 reveal where Elon said they are going to more than double the number of locations from 215 to 441...

Nope. Didn't miss it. So, where is all the news of these new service centers being built? To build over 200 in less than two years they must be starting some of them by now, right? It takes a lot longer to build and staff a service center than to get a supercharger up and running.