Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird buzzing sound after updating to 2022.24.6 [Fixed in 2022.36.1]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noise still here in my X after updating to 2022.28.2.

The service centers must be overwhelmed with this problem and the noise inside them must be unbearable for the technicians. Have to believe Tesla is trying to fix this update quickly, right?
My service guy read to me the bulletin that Tesla sent out. Something about the contacts on the battery pack being activated for better performance that is causing the noise.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a way to kick the can down the road as we all know how long the USB sentry cam not working correctly issue has been promised in a firmware fix for the last six months+ on my Model Y.

Mine has not gone away, but seems to be less loud than it was previously. It’s 34dB and sounds more like a high pitch whine intended to drive dogs crazy 🤪. Wish I measured the dB level when it first started to compare, but it was more like what OP has in the video posted.

Still annoying, but I’m not in the garage often enough to be that bothered. Can only hear it in a quiet place and not out in a parking lot as others have mentioned. Worth the upgrade for alt routes IMO.

That confirms what they told me. He said that they are pulsing the control of the HV contacts which apparently saves energy. It is that (6kHz) frequency pulse that we hear. Which is why for this noise problem the frequency of the whine doesn’t change when driving at different speeds and is constant even when rebooting the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: MR F
2022.24.8 just downloaded on my Feb 2022 MSLR. Not installed yet. Does anyone have this version on a similarly aged vehicle, buzzing or no buzzing?
Screenshot_20220919-130901_Tesla.jpg

I had service appointment scheduled for this Thursday, which I created to bring attention to the buzzing noise. Tesla confirmed and added 2 service bulletins to the visit: 1) radar water intrusion, and 2) hydraulic control unit wake up wire. I stopped by the Service Center today given it's close to my office to ask a few questions. First, they had not heard about the buzzing noise yet (how is that possible?). Second, the "radar" water intrusion fix is actually for the parking sensors, not the real radar. I canceled the appointment for now, after giving them a recording of the buzz / whining noise for their tech. group to escalate to engineering. I don't get the sense that a fix is imminent, so the more people communicate the issue the better.

Last edited:
We have check a list for buying a Tesla. We need a list to run through before and after a software update. Maybe one item on that list would be to capture the state of the car's systems before and after an update. Do this with a voice command "bug report". What a pain in the arse.

Reactions: OxBrew
I had service appointment scheduled for this Thursday, which I created to bring attention to the buzzing noise. Tesla confirmed and added 2 service bulletins to the visit: 1) radar water intrusion, and 2) hydraulic control unit wake up wire. I stopped by the Service Center today given it's close to my office to ask a few questions. First, they had not heard about the buzzing noise yet (how is that possible?). Second, the "radar" water intrusion fix is actually for the parking sensors, not the real radar. I canceled the appointment for now, after giving them a recording of the buzz / whining noise for their tech. group to escalate to engineering. I don't get the sense that a fix is imminent, so the more people communicate the issue the better.

They came to my office and fixed the radar water intrusion. Have an appt for the buzzing. Do not expect a fix. Wanted to bring attention as well.

New software update (2022.24.6.6) is pushing to cars now. Hopefully the fix?
My car had 2022.24.8 downloaded and was pestering me to install for a few days (I held off after reading these reports). Then today, after being parked in a commuter lot for a few hours, it advised me that I should connect to Wi-Fi to download 2022.24.6.6- I no longer have the option to install the previously downloaded 2022.24.8.

Reactions: navguy12 and VikH
My car had 2022.24.8 downloaded and was pestering me to install for a few days (I held off after reading these reports). Then today, after being parked in a commuter lot for a few hours, it advised me that I should connect to Wi-Fi to download 2022.24.6.6- I no longer have the option to install the previously downloaded 2022.24.8.
Hmm ... a preemptive rollback? What're they doing?

Hmm ... a preemptive rollback? What're they doing?
Looking forward to learning if this fixes it!