Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I refused delivery :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if you are receiving the M3D MSM I rejected on August 24th in Fremont. VIN068XXX

I took delivery Friday night and did not have a good chance to look at it in the sun until yesterday afternoon.

Initial inspection at service center I didn’t find anything to major. Frunk alignment could be a little better. I noticed some krenkles in the rear trunk linerwell that has been reported in other threads. Everthing else looked in order granted it was difficult to see in the low light of the delivery bay.

The next day in the sun is did see some more paint issue but I’m not sure if it may not just be a rushed detail job. Looks like they may have had an issue on the rear passenger door that they tried to buff out as I can see a little bit of a hologram effect. I also found a few minor paint scuffs. Interior looked exceptional.

What where the major rejecting issues for you?

Edit: My vin was rematched on 8/23 the day before you rejected it.

Last edited:
I wanted to provide and update to let people know what to expect if they choose to have a vin rematch.

So original delivery was 8/21 with my initial vin being rejected. A new vin showed up in my account on 8/23. No contact by my IDA at this time. Over the following weekend the vin disappeared from my account which had me worried.

I reached out to my IDA on Monday 8/27 to find out what was going on. He said he can see I have a vin assigned and it is at the service center. He wanted to reach out to the service center to confirm that the vehicle had no issues. The service center did not respond to his repeated request. This went on for about a week with repeated contact with my IDA who was having no luck hearing back from the service center.

Final on Friday 8/31 I reached out the the manager that worked with me when I rejected my original vin. He had given his personal cellphone to call if I had any questions. He resolved the issue within 2-hours and I had a delivery schedule for later that day.

Total turnaround was just shy of two-weeks. Rematch vin had some minor issues but nothing worth rejecting the car.

Car is amazing!

I wanted to provide and update to let people know what to expect if they choose to have a vin rematch.

So original delivery was 8/21 with my initial vin being rejected. A new vin showed up in my account on 8/23. No contact by my IDA at this time. Over the following weekend the vin disappeared from my account which had me worried.

I reached out to my IDA on Monday 8/27 to find out what was going on. He said he can see I have a vin assigned and it is at the service center. He wanted to reach out to the service center to confirm that the vehicle had no issues. The service center did not respond to his repeated request. This went on for about a week with repeated contact with my IDA who was having no luck hearing back from the service center.

Final on Friday 8/31 I reached out the the manager that worked with me when I rejected my original vin. He had given his personal cellphone to call if I had any questions. He resolved the issue within 2-hours and I had a delivery schedule for later that day.

Total turnaround was just shy of two-weeks. Rematch vin had some minor issues but nothing worth rejecting the car.

Car is amazing!
Again, it's *internal* communications which were the problem: the service center not answering the phone calls from the IDA, in this case. Not until the manager intervened did they pick up the phone, apparently. This has been Tesla's big problem, left hand not talking to the right hand.

• Helpful
Reactions: LoL Rick and Sg911
I can sympathize. I was supposed to take delivery of my M3 in Cleveland on 8/24. I arrived to look at my new car only to see that it had paint bubbles in multiple areas (they called them "fish eyes"). I had the same option...take delivery and schedule a new paint job with a local company or have Tesla assign me a new VIN. I opted for a new car and I am currently in a holding pattern waiting on a new VIN.

Just an update...there is no update. Since I rejected my car on 8/24 there has been no new VIN or proposed delivery date. I will be thrilled if I get the 3 week turnaround others have on this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Its extra exposed metal on the A frame between the passenger door and the windshield. I am still trying to figure out what step was overlooked to have this happen.
UPDATE - After refusing my car last Monday, I received a new VIN and am picking the new car up tomorrow. 1 week turnaround is pretty impressive. Lets hope that there isn't anything wrong with this one!

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I refused our first M3D because of shipping damage. That was on a Saturday and I had a new VIN by the next Wednesday.

what was the extent of the damage, and did they offer to fix for you?
I had similar situation on delivery day last week when they found dents that looked like hail damage (unlikely as this is Tempe, AZ and haven't heard of many hail storms between CA and AZ), so they were sending to the body shop. I told them I wanted to know if they were repainting, and was told they didn't have that information. I'm scheduled to pick up tomorrow, but wondering if I should've asked for new VIN. My main concern is with repainting, as AZ sun fades everything fast, and I don't know that different paint techniques will fade the same...

what was the extent of the damage, and did they offer to fix for you?
I had similar situation on delivery day last week when they found dents that looked like hail damage (unlikely as this is Tempe, AZ and haven't heard of many hail storms between CA and AZ), so they were sending to the body shop. I told them I wanted to know if they were repainting, and was told they didn't have that information. I'm scheduled to pick up tomorrow, but wondering if I should've asked for new VIN. My main concern is with repainting, as AZ sun fades everything fast, and I don't know that different paint techniques will fade the same...
Two dents (one on each rear quarter panel) and a deep scratch to the metal in a rear door jam. They offered to fix it but that was going to take as long a getting another car and I did not want the car repainted as we plan on keeping it for a long time.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I'm going through a similar issue. I'm scheduled to pick up my car tomorrow and I was just told they found a large, deep scratch on the bumper. They could either fix it or I could request a new car. I'm leaning towards getting a new car. My only concern is my loan and insurance paperwork all have the current VIN on it. There shouldn't be any problem getting that paperwork changed, right?

What's the case for not getting a new car? Based on the repair backlog horror stories I think getting a new car may be the fastest solution.

Current VIN 5YJ3E1EBXJF0545##. Red, AWD, Black Interior, Standard Wheels

I'm going through a similar issue. I'm scheduled to pick up my car tomorrow and I was just told they found a large, deep scratch on the bumper. They could either fix it or I could request a new car. I'm leaning towards getting a new car. My only concern is my loan and insurance paperwork all have the current VIN on it. There shouldn't be any problem getting that paperwork changed, right?

What's the case for not getting a new car? Based on the repair backlog horror stories I think getting a new car may be the fastest solution.

I ordered in June. If I choose to take a new car instead of waiting for them to repair this one does that mean I lose free premium internet?

The new car may be a car that was scratched, refused, and repaired.

Yes, I had that thought. Just like the next person who gets this car would have know idea it was originally going to be for me. I guess it doesn't matter as long as you can't tell it was repaired. So really it comes down to which option gets me a car quicker.

If it's the rear bumper I'd have them fix it, and then come down to pick it up. Odds are at some point in the cars lifetime someone is going to rear end it.

I wouldn't sign the paperwork until they fixed it. That's just to make sure you're not waiting around for a car you're making payments on.

Reactions: neroden and brkaus
I received my Red AWD which was supposed to have 19" wheels but arrived with 18" wheels instead. The sticker on the body specified 19" wheels but apparently they must have run out of them and instead of holding up the car sent it out with the incorrect wheels.
It took 10 days to get the call that the wheels have arrived and I can bring the car in to have them changed.
While I had the car at home I went over the car more closely as at the sales delivery we were rushed and distracted by the wheels thing. Found hood alignment was off and paint had bumps as if the metal was unclean before painting with many small spots across the hood and fender. There are scrapes to bare metal on the underside of the hood and edge of fender, a small nick to bare metal on front bumper as if it had been struck by the hood latch. The car is now in the body shop and I'm driving a GMC loaner. Had I noticed all this at delivery I wouldn't have taken it either. A word to the wise, take your time don't let them rush you.

I received my Red AWD which was supposed to have 19" wheels but arrived with 18" wheels instead. The sticker on the body specified 19" wheels but apparently they must have run out of them and instead of holding up the car sent it out with the incorrect wheels.
It took 10 days to get the call that the wheels have arrived and I can bring the car in to have them changed.
While I had the car at home I went over the car more closely as at the sales delivery we were rushed and distracted by the wheels thing. Found hood alignment was off and paint had bumps as if the metal was unclean before painting with many small spots across the hood and fender. There are scrapes to bare metal on the underside of the hood and edge of fender, a small nick to bare metal on front bumper as if it had been struck by the hood latch. The car is now in the body shop and I'm driving a GMC loaner. Had I noticed all this at delivery I wouldn't have taken it either. A word to the wise, take your time don't let them rush you.

Sucks. What's your VIN? I didn't notice any issues with my 72xxx at delivery on 9/8. Once at the detailer for PPF/tint etc. I did notice one tiny divot just above the rear door window. Not a big deal. PPF guy found a few dust nubs on lower front bumper out of eyesight. Sanded them down just a tad. Didn't want to risk tearing them off and having craters. XPEL Stealth covered everything up very nicely.

Your issues are pretty annoying though. Did they give you an ETA when you'll get the car back?