Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I thought I bought a 2020 Model Y, but only to find out it was a rental, and I was a victim of Fraud!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a lot of common folks like me this has been an eye opener. I have never paid with cash ( only check) and the only time I paid with a cashier's check was to Tesla when I purchased a brand new car from them directly. If you are a AAA member then they have membership services and they can look up Vehicle Registration to confirm ownership before the transaction takes place. I have not tried it so I can't confirm on this but it is a possible option. Also not sure if they can verify out of station registrations.

Reactions: Ormond and Corndart
He can’t transfer title to WA in CA though.
He likely could at least have them pull the vehicle up and confirm the registered owner and if there was anything outstanding against the vehicle. If this becomes super common I'm sure they'll put a stop to this but honestly it should be a service they offer, even if there was a fee associated with it. The state that the vehicle is registered in should be able to provide absolutely rock solid proof on who is the legal owner, if the vehicle has been reported stolen or a write off on insurance or anything, and that it has been legally registered.

Reactions: Corndart and xls_
He used the NV drivers license, and probably a fake credit card. funny thing is, his NV license says he is 6'4", and lets be honest if you are 5'11"...shouldn't that be suspicious? He 100% isn't 6'4"...maybe 6'1" max. ..but I think he is 5'11. I appreciate all the support....I hope he gets caught, and isn't able to do this ever again.
Try to contact him again and reach out saying you want to learn how to do the same so you can make your money back. Offer a few thousand bucks or something for him to teach you, then just obviously never get the money anywhere near him but try to get some contact started. Scammers are stupid and like money, while this would clearly be an attempt to find the guy, he might think he's smarter than everyone and you're really stupid and that he could make a few grand more...

Also... the owner renting it on Turo

"Um Sir.... some... interesting news... someone tried to sell your car when they rented it..."

Actually, HUGE question, where is the car?! Did you drive it all the way back to WA before finding out the problems, or did you swing by a licencing agency down there to try and get temp plates or something to drive back home? Honestly I'm not sure how that works when buying a vehicle out of state from person to person... that's insane if some dudes Turo was driving from CA up to WA and horrible that you might have had to foot the bill to ship it back down to them!

Also... the owner renting it on Turo

"Um Sir.... some... interesting news... someone tried to sell your car when they rented it..."

Actually, HUGE question, where is the car?! Did you drive it all the way back to WA before finding out the problems, or did you swing by a licensing agency down there to try and get temp plates or something to drive back home? Honestly I'm not sure how that works when buying a vehicle out of state from person to person... that's insane if some dudes Turo was driving from CA up to WA and horrible that you might have had to foot the bill to ship it back down to them!
I did drive it up to WA, the rental company flew up and drove it back down yesterday. And I guess the rental company never reported it stolen...just rental fraud.

People who commit these criminal acts are sociopaths. Best to steer clear of them and let the proper authorities deal with investigating their crimes.

I would be concerned if they had a copy of your driver's license, your photo, phone number, your home address or one of your personal checks. This would make it easier for them to steal your identity or even sell your checking account information to a fraud ring. (Keep a close watch on your checking account for the next year for any unauthorized automated clearing house (ACH) debit transactions. A fraudster only needs a photo of one of your checks to obtain the checking account information needed to initiate ACH debit fraud.

OC is a major area for all types of fraud. There were even seminars taught out of hotels in OC on how to commit wire fraud. (Not a crime unless, until you actually commit the fraud.)

• Informative
Reactions: Frank Einstein
Hate to muddy the waters and make you feel worse, but what proof of ID did the rental company guy give you when he picked it up?
They actually picked it up from the police...so, I think that is as good of proof as I needed. :) I didn't keep it in my possession as soon as I found out it was not mine to keep...I left it with the local police...and they contacted the police and came to retrieve it. I am sure they had to show proof it was theirs as well.

I don’t see how/why Tesla would do this. Privacy violation?
hmm, can the police work with you and the rental company and find where the car is now? ( teslas are the last kind of car one should steal as trackable adn can be *sugar* down by vin ) if he " returned" it to the rental company , after the scam, then tracking it wont work unfortunately . the only thing is if he goes back to another rental agent and rents another to try and scam some one else., then all they can do is flag the false IDs but he probably has moved on to another set of IDs. so sorry to hear this!

hmm, can the police work with you and the rental company and find where the car is now? ( teslas are the last kind of car one should steal as trackable adn can be *sugar* down by vin ) if he " returned" it to the rental company , after the scam, then tracking it wont work unfortunately . the only thing is if he goes back to another rental agent and rents another to try and scam some one else., then all they can do is flag the false IDs but he probably has moved on to another set of IDs. so sorry to hear this!
That’s an interesting idea… maybe see if Tesla has a history of where the Model Y has been parked to find the scammers true residence.

Here is a Chad Spencer Robinson from Nevada. It gives family information as well.

But after doing a little digging, it appears to be a bogus name. The guy gives the name Chad Spencer Robinson. That’s a real name and he’s got a brother named Drew Robinson. Drew Robinson played for the SF Giants and he almost killed himself. In this article it says his brother Chad Robinson. But in that photo, it says he’s 6’5 240. Maybe he was an athlete. I don’t know, maybe you can reach out to the real Chad Robinson and ask him if he knows the guy and by the way, he’s using your name to scam people.

The real Chad Robinson.
1637376447376.jpeg
1637376447376.jpeg

Reactions: jwb2781
On Saturday the 13th of November, I flew from WA to Orange county to buy a White 2020 model Y, seller was asking $50K, I said I had $48K, we agreed, so I sign paperwork, title, and photo his id, and made sure everything matched. Well, I get home and try registering it with Tesla, and I get an e-mail from a rental company in San Diego, saying I don't have the authorization to transfer ownership. Turns out I was sold a Rental car with fake title, by a seller with fake id.....Lost $48K. Can anyone suggest a positive solution to my costly issue?
I'm very sorry to hear this, it totally sucks. The only consolation I can give is that guys like this are inevitably caught, and ultimately have a miserable life in and out of jail. Fingers crossed you get your money back (or at least the cashiers check transaction stopped).

Reactions: jwb2781