Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well the HV battery died per Tesla remote diagnosis, what are my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it happened, got a 2015 Model S that has 83k miles and went out last night to move car in the garage and it would not start. Today the 12v is flat. Per Tesla service they can't get it in for diagnosis until late next week, but from the logs it appears to be the HV battery. Of course out of warranty by 2 - 3 weeks. I can't justify putting 14k (from what I have seen) into a battery for a car worth around 25k anymore, never would see the return on investment.

Anyone know if Tesla would take a trade on a non working Model S for inventory vehicles I had been in the looking for a Model X for the additional space.

Unfortunately not near Gruber or any of the other third party shops so I don't want to get into a situation with transportation that Im spending the same as getting a new/refurb battery from tesla. Seems like most shops are on the coasts anyways.

PXL_20230713_034039940~2.jpg

I guess it happened, got a 2015 Model S that has 83k miles and went out last night to move car in the garage and it would not start. Today the 12v is flat. Per Tesla service they can't get it in for diagnosis until late next week, but from the logs it appears to be the HV battery. Of course out of warranty by 2 - 3 weeks. I can't justify putting 14k (from what I have seen) into a battery for a car worth around 25k anymore, never would see the return on investment.

Anyone know if Tesla would take a trade on a non working Model S for inventory vehicles I had been in the looking for a Model X for the additional space.

Unfortunately not near Gruber or any of the other third party shops so I don't want to get into a situation with transportation that Im spending the same as getting a new/refurb battery from tesla. Seems like most shops are on the coasts anyways.

View attachment 955912
Aka @wk057 on this forum.
They've shipped cars to swap pack before.

I'd still give a call to 057, Tech. They are in North Carolina and can arrange for shipping both ways. At least you'll be able to compare with Tesla's prices. Being a 2015, you must have unlimited supercharging. If so, that is worth a lot on the use car market.
Thanks I will look into that as well. Im in the market for a X at some point (I need towing ability), but if I can buy in a year I would rather do that. I dont supercharge too often, I only use it 2-3x per year on travel.

the pack might still be ok but finding someone willing to fix f123 might be rough...
see my experience here:

was the car parked on incline by any chance? thats when mine triggered...

the pack might still be ok but finding someone willing to fix f123 might be rough...
see my experience here:

was the car parked on incline by any chance? thats when mine triggered...
It was

then u had same thing happen
probably have ingress somewhere n its been collecting water for a while
when on incline, water finally went over the plastic tray n caused isolation
should be fixable if u dry it n fix ingress, since car drove fine before

This isn't necessarily true, and probably jumping the gun on a diagnosis.

I don't know how many times we've had cars here from after people have attempted their own repairs or repairs by a very unqualified 3rd party only to have them fail and end up with us for a repair/replacement.

The ultrasonic welds on the cell fuses and cell taps and very sensitive to moisture. Want to destroy a Tesla module? Take a damp sponge to it. You can basically wipe off the ultrasonic welds with minimal effort.

You might dry things out, everything look fine, get a few miles down the road and lose a sense wire or multiple cell fuses. And you'll have no way to check/test that beforehand.

Overall, you don't really want to mess with a Tesla pack that's had liquid inside. It doesn't take much to irreparably destroy a pack.
I sent you over an email from your site to get more information about my options.

Thanks!
Np. I'm not at the office at the moment, but someone will get to it for sure.

then u had same thing happen
probably have ingress somewhere n its been collecting water for a while
when on incline, water finally went over the plastic tray n caused isolation
should be fixable if u dry it n fix ingress, since car drove fine before
I guess I will see what happens, I will be gone for about 5 days in good 100+ degree days, see if it starts when I get back. Im guessing you never tried to file insurance claim, or could you not on salvaged title? I'm almost wondering if I try and see if I call it flooded as I have full coverage.

But yeah sounds like from your post no one will touch those f123 error batteries other than tesla or do it yourself. Maybe time to find a friend with a lift to be able to drop the pack to fix the leak.

This isn't necessarily true, and probably jumping the gun on a diagnosis.

I don't know how many times we've had cars here from after people have attempted their own repairs or repairs by a very unqualified 3rd party only to have them fail and end up with us for a repair/replacement.

The ultrasonic welds on the cell fuses and cell taps and very sensitive to moisture. Want to destroy a Tesla module? Take a damp sponge to it. You can basically wipe off the ultrasonic welds with minimal effort.

You might dry things out, everything look fine, get a few miles down the road and lose a sense wire or multiple cell fuses. And you'll have no way to check/test that beforehand.

Overall, you don't really want to mess with a Tesla pack that's had liquid inside. It doesn't take much to irreparably destroy a pack.

Np. I'm not at the office at the moment, but someone will get to it for sure.
I don't doubt ur expertise n extreme cases but...
I drove 10k miles with a hole in a pack n 4k miles (so far) after repair n pack is doing fine.
Plus few other ppl replied in my thread with similar experiences.

I guess I will see what happens, I will be gone for about 5 days in good 100+ degree days, see if it starts when I get back. Im guessing you never tried to file insurance claim, or could you not on salvaged title? I'm almost wondering if I try and see if I call it flooded as I have full coverage.

But yeah sounds like from your post no one will touch those f123 error batteries other than tesla or do it yourself. Maybe time to find a friend with a lift to be able to drop the pack to fix the leak.
It won't dry on its own n even when i had it open it still didn't dry cause water is trapped under emf shields...
Tesla won't touch it either, just swap it for u.
Yeah, it sounds like mostly DIY job...

I don't doubt ur expertise n extreme cases but...
I drove 10k miles with a hole in a pack n 4k miles (so far) after repair n pack is doing fine.
Plus few other ppl replied in my thread with similar experiences.

We've worked on hundreds, if not more, of these packs. We sometimes do multiple repairs/replacements in a day at this point.

"Well it worked for me" doesn't really carry over to what is generally the case.

Thanks I will look into that as well. Im in the market for a X at some point (I need towing ability), but if I can buy in a year I would rather do that. I dont supercharge too often, I only use it 2-3x per year on travel.
You are most likely familiar with Torklift. We installed one of their hitch system and are very pleased with it. Quite a few owners have it installed. Right now, I've got a trailer hooked on. Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned.

We've worked on hundreds, if not more, of these packs. We sometimes do multiple repairs/replacements in a day at this point.

"Well it worked for me" doesn't really carry over to what is generally the case.
Well, it worked for few ppl that we know of and probably many more that never bothered to post about it...
It can be true in reverse, just cause u saw hundreds of failed ones doesn't mean there can't be few good ones.
I'm simply giving OP options based on my experience which happens to match his exactly. Can't say the pack is a goner till u open it up n check it out.
Also, me driving for 10k miles with water/moisture in the pack and your "take a sponge to it" will kill it, doesn't really add up...
I think these packs are much better built (2016 at least)

Fair warning to OP tho, if u open up the pack n won't succeed fixing it, neither Tesla nor wk will take it as a core i hear...

Im guessing you never tried to file insurance claim, or could you not on salvaged title?
Nope, never considered that. Fixing cars is a hobby n i always wanted to open one up anyways :)