Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well the HV battery died per Tesla remote diagnosis, what are my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Silly question, if it's relatively known on some of the older cars that a tesla batterypack could have water related issues, why doesn't tesla add/create some type of batter inspection to be completed every 250mi or so?

To what end? It is my understanding there's nothing much you can do about it once the water gets in there. Although someone here has said that they blew air through the pack for a long time and dried it out enough to use it. I doubt that Tesla would be willing to do that type of repair. And besides, the count for that number of cars is relatively low. I wouldn't be surprised if tesla builds more cars in a week then are left with this potential issue.

Just thinking.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If it is your 12V. battery that has gone flat, it is under $100 to get it replaced.Tesla usually keeps a stack of them in service, as replacing them is not unusual.

You can even pick one up at a service center and install it yourself, if you cannot wait for Mobile Service.

If you are effected by the recent heat wave, that might be why your 12V gave up the ghost.

The newer production vehicles use a updated Lithium Ion battery that is expected to have much longer service device than the dinosaur Lead Acid 12v.

It is is high voltage battery that costs $$$.

If it is your 12V. battery that has gone flat, it is under $100 to get it replaced.Tesla usually keeps a stack of them in service, as replacing them is not unusual.

You can even pick one up at a service center and install it yourself, if you cannot wait for Mobile Service.

If you are effected by the recent heat wave, that might be why your 12V gave up the ghost.

The newer production vehicles use a updated Lithium Ion battery that is expected to have much longer service device than the dinosaur Lead Acid 12v.

I think there's a lot of things wrong with your post so I will try to clear up a few things:

1) Tesla charges $165 for the 12V battery. It costs a little more for the RWD Model S folks since the battery cubby is harder to access and takes more time than the revised location on the dual motor vehicles. Tesla Service does not always have them in stock as supply-chain, distribution, and demand have hampered the process for the customer. Some folks have had to wait over a month for the battery.

2) I don't believe Tesla has used lead acid 12V batteries in the Model S but I think you might be referring to the AGM batteries as the dinosaur.

You are most likely familiar with Torklift. We installed one of their hitch system and are very pleased with it. Quite a few owners have it installed. Right now, I've got a trailer hooked on. Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned.
Here is an example among many others.

Attachments

• 1493-Tesla_model_S_towing_remorquage.JPG
    1493-Tesla_model_S_towing_remorquage.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 110
Update, Tesla has completed inspecting the battery. The HV Fuse cover rusted and let water into the pack, but because it rusted my insurance will not cover it as its a mechanical defect/wear and tear. But Tesla has given me an option that they can possibly repair it for just over 1000 (mostly labor and a new pyro fuse) but they will replace all the umbrellas and reseal everything and put a new fuse and cover on then vacuum test it. While they cant guarantee it seems like a decent gamble to try and do. There is some form I have to sign saying its not repaired to tesla spec but waiting to get more info on that tomorrow.

Update, Tesla has completed inspecting the battery. The HV Fuse cover rusted and let water into the pack, but because it rusted my insurance will not cover it as its a mechanical defect/wear and tear. But Tesla has given me an option that they can possibly repair it for just over 1000 (mostly labor and a new pyro fuse) but they will replace all the umbrellas and reseal everything and put a new fuse and cover on then vacuum test it. While they cant guarantee it seems like a decent gamble to try and do. There is some form I have to sign saying its not repaired to tesla spec but waiting to get more info on that tomorrow.

Please do keep us updated. This is the first I've ever heard of Tesla saying they'd repair a battery.

Hmmh, I had all these seals and valves replaced under battery warranty in my MS. The car was in SC for other reason (MCU upgrade) but they asked if they can perform "HV battery reseal" while they have the car...

I don't know if the saw something in the diagnostic or what was the reason. There were no errors visible.

Where are you getting that a 12v from Tesla costs under $100, did you pull it from your ( )?
I just had mine replaced on my 2019 MS for $233. The battery alone is $165.

Where are you getting that a 12v from Tesla costs under $100, did you pull it from your ( )?
I just had mine replaced on my 2019 MS for $233. The battery alone is $165.
This was not the 12v that went out, it was the HV pack. Water got into the fuse and caused it to pop. Tesla SC has confirmed to me today that they can reseal everything and put the new fuse in and it will be good to go. For around a tenth of the price of a refurb battery. There was one seal on the front that had a slight leak but they were not too worried about it. All the errors have cleared they said in the past few weeks with the dry out.

FYI, Tesla repairing HV pack vs traditional replace. @wk057 @Recell @racevpr

That's good news. In your 1st post, I felt spending $14K on a car valued at $25k a wise investment. What else to you do with the M3? Tape a signed title to the window and park it along the side of the highway?

A question. Tesla is replacing the battery because they have inspected the car in the past and missed the rusted fuse cover?

this now seems to be standard operating procedure for the Service Centers with isolation issues due to the failure of the fuse cover - replace fuse, fuse cover, umbrellas, reseal everything and then pressure test it. a welcome development for owners, and the Service Centers are well placed to source the necessary parts. 👍

Last edited:
this now seems to be standard operating procedure for the Service Centers with isolation issues due to the failure of the fuse cover - replace fuse, fuse cover, umbrellas, reseal everything and then pressure test it. a welcome development for owners.
Yes I think I lucked out that it was able to be drained, resealed and refused. Per the tech it passed all the isolation tests and the errors cleared off.

That's good news. In your 1st post, I felt spending $14K on a car valued at $25k a wise investment. What else to you do with the M3? Tape a signed title to the window and park it along the side of the highway?

A question. Tesla is replacing the battery because they have inspected the car in the past and missed the rusted fuse cover?
Well when I was already planning this year or early next getting a new Model X it was a nice thing to only have to spend about $1K for a reseal, I can save the rest for a down payment or performance upgrade.