Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn, I missed it by about one day. Maybe it was working on Monday but I didn't take the time to look and obviously I didn't need it.
I wonder if Tesla will do an Alberta opening event in Canmore as they missed Red Deer. Maybe I'll ask.

I think Robin is planning a Western Canada supercharger rally/road trip in the next couple of months, as a celebration.

Canmore is open completing the Vancouver to Calgary route, which is great, and yet southern Ontario/Quebec is still pretty poorly laid out.
I guess Tesla prioritizes the west even though the east has tons more Teslas.

That's pretty flimsy evidence for Tesla "prioritizing" the west. There are two Superchargers not yet complete of the ones planned in the east, during an absolutely horrible time of year to try to do any construction.

I'd be interested to see your data showing that the east has tons more Teslas. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to know on what you base that. There's "tons" of Teslas in Vancouver, for sure.

Kinda bad for Sun Country. Not too many non-Tesla's on the road I would guess.

As much as I love them, this has always been my biggest problem with SCH's model. Kent Rathwell and I have often locked horns on it.

They design they network to be accessible to ALL EVs, which sounds good as a soundbite but doesn't function too well in reality. It results in many of their EVSE being underpowered because small EVs can't utilize faster units.

I mean, who is going to take their Leaf or iMiEV on a cross-country trip where they need to spend several hours charging for every hour of driving?!

As much as I love them, this has always been my biggest problem with SCH's model. Kent Rathwell and I have often locked horns on it.

They design they network to be accessible to ALL EVs, which sounds good as a soundbite but doesn't function too well in reality. It results in many of their EVSE being underpowered because small EVs can't utilize faster units.

I mean, who is going to take their Leaf or iMiEV on a cross-country trip where they need to spend several hours charging for every hour of driving?!

I think SCH's strategy is pretty smart, actually. First, they took the "anything is better than nothing" approach and got a cross-country network implemented in under two years, an amazing achievement. They put lots of them at hotels and encouraged 70A or higher stations, but they weren't picky, which was key to getting the deployment done fast. As more Level 3 charging gets deployed (superchargers, Chademo, SAE Combo), the L2 stations will gradually get less important for on-the-road charging but lots of them are well situated for destination charging, and they are still useful for topping up shorter-range EVs doing local driving. And maybe it varies across the country, but I've charged at about 60 SCH locations in Ontario, and only 2 of those run at 30A (actually 32A for the SCH-40). Most run at 48A or 70A, and a few are 80A.

Hi
Just drove from Vancouver to Calgary after having my car repaired and got my first taste of supercharging. It might be a bit redundant but I thought I would post pictures here of each supercharger I visited along with any observations. In general - there is something exciting about watching the kilometers pile on at such an aggressive rate of speed. I haven't been paying enough attention to supercharging threads to really know how well these superchargers were performing but based on some charging pictures I saw yesterday from in2Oil I'm thinking these chargers might not have been as fast as they could be. Even so, I had to re-think my habits. Just can't do as many things during a stop I ended up adding an hour and a half to my journey but that was more about me spending time in Revelstoke and Golden (Tesla moments, swimming in Golden, Supper in Golden).

Thank you, gpetti, for the well-documented journey and photos. I especially appreciate the comments on interesting time-killers near the superchargers. I was already thinking about how to drive out to Vancouver and what to do on the supercharger stops while I wait for (late March) delivery. I had identified a few good coffee shops along the route and now you and a few other posters endorsed the establishments. It is substantial enough that perhaps it should be under the Blogs.

Anyway, for my dreaming/planning, I used Google's My Maps (http://www.google.com/mymaps) to define a route from Calgary to the various supercharger locations and I tried to tag a spot near each supercharter.

http://goo.gl/cSOQZi

Handy tool. It would be nice if we could add photos and journal entries to the maps. (Or maybe it does, but I haven't figured out how.)

Does anyone know about a map-based road-trip journal/blog system? My wife and I plan to Tesla our way across Canada when I turn 50 and Canada turns 150. It would be cool go blog the trip complete with interactive map.

As much as I love them, this has always been my biggest problem with SCH's model. ...

Agreed, and with most installs at hotels, one wouldn't expect local users to charge there. Better to have them at shopping malls.

I wonder what percentage of EV's are TESLA's vs the 160 km range EV's.

Sun Country did a great thing and I assume there will always be a demand where ever the SC network may never reach.
In the mean time, if I drive somewhere for fun, it will be in direction Vancouver <-> Edmonton.

Well I think I am the first car to charge at the Canmore SC. I called ahead for a room at the Hotel and the manager I spoke with stated that the chargers were not ready to go. Thankfully she was incorrect, as the drive from Red Deer was against a pretty strong wind, causing me to arrive with just 40km RR. The concrete stops on the ground are still horribly located. It is a very tight fit (and rather difficult to judge in the night with no light).
The manager was relieved to hear they are operational, as I guess she had been trying to get answers from Tesla with no results.

Photos from our meet today at the Canmore Supercharger.
image1.jpg
image2.jpg