Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Power enforcing 32A supply allocation on rural/regional customers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cafz

Jul 17, 2020
Australia
According to pv magazine, rural and regional customers on the SWIS (south-west Western Australia) default to a 32A supply allocation for single phase connections, or 16A per phase for 3 phase connections. Historically this wasn't enforced through technical means, but now if you have major electrical work done, a corresponding main breaker must be fitted.

This limitation seems likely to be problematic for those wanting to charge their EV at home, considering that those limits for the whole property precisely match the AC charging capability of the Model 3/Y.

According to pv magazine, rural and regional customers on the SWIS (south-west Western Australia) default to a 32A supply allocation for single phase connections, or 16A per phase for 3 phase connections. Historically this wasn't enforced through technical means, but now if you have major electrical work done, a corresponding main breaker must be fitted.

This limitation seems likely to be problematic for those wanting to charge their EV at home, considering that those limits for the whole property precisely match the AC charging capability of the Model 3/Y.
The tesla app allows one to reduce the amps drawn by the UMC. Could this possibly be the workaround if they are limiting the whole house in that fashion?
That seems exceptionally limiting even for General House Usage etc… Couple of Split Systems and an Electric Cooktop/Oven and bang…. Hitting that limit.
So limited wow, you'd have to charge Tesla at night only and possibly still limit the output through the app too. Living on the edge everyday would suck

You can boost it with solar and battery - especially the solar which solves the charging issue if you can daytime charge

The solution here seems to be installing battery storage that can provide a buffer for temporarily higher loads above and beyond the 32 amp allocation, then recharge during periods of lower use.
Wouldn't that be a terribly expensive solution? The cost per kWh of a home battery is about the same as the cost per kWh of a car battery (but for which you get the car attached).

This compares to 100A single phase or 63A three phase for Endeavour energy in Urban NSW. If the problem is cost of transmission over large distance for relatively few customers, they should quickly ramp up local solar/wind/battery networks to cut out the long transmission problem.
They are.
Their Standalone Power Systems cost $380,000 consisting of battery, solar PV and back up diesel generator, so not cheap.
It would be far more expensive without the back up diesel, since the battery would have to be huge, but they are considering TOCEVA's dual fuel BiØFils to burn waste vegie oil.

Wouldn't that be a terribly expensive solution? The cost per kWh of a home battery is about the same as the cost per kWh of a car battery (but for which you get the car attached).
I have three of those terriby expensive batteries and for 9 months of the year I do not buy grid power.
Its very frustrating that my car cannot provide what the battery does, but you have to look at the entire equation, not just the capital cost

I have three of those terriby expensive batteries and for 9 months of the year I do not buy grid power.
Fair enough. The return cost of a battery is another discussion altogether but my comment was in regards to buying a battery specifically to hold a temporary charge in order to discharge it to a vehicle later. For that purpose, it’s a very expensive solution.

(I too have a powerwall but for continuity of power purposes.)

They are.
Their Standalone Power Systems cost $380,000 consisting of battery, solar PV and back up diesel generator, so not cheap.
It would be far more expensive without the back up diesel, since the battery would have to be huge, but they are considering TOCEVA's dual fuel BiØFils to burn waste vegie oil.
lols $380k.
Such value.