Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wetspot / Leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85+ had a real bad leak this last weekend... started to drive off after the car sat in the rain overnight. As soon as I applied the brake to slow down at the corner (with the top closed) I was drenched with water coming thru the top over the drivers seat right between my legs on my front seat. Funny thing was there was no issue while driving in the heavy rain for 2 hours the day before. Also, the sunroof stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Will not open. They are making me wait about 3 weeks to send a truck to pick up the car and deliver it to Fremont Service Ctr for repairs.

Also had a about 30 minutes of a very loud rumbling of the car like driving over a wash board. Happened at about 65 MPH. Stopped at lower speeds and then came back when I picked up speed. On the trip home it never returned. Lugs seem tight and wheels are balanced.

I had my Model S since 8/2013. I really haven't used my Pano roof much, I just enjoy the feel of the glass roof. Well, I decided to open it a little more lately. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a bit more wind noise. Yesterday, it rained fairly steadily while driving home on the freeway for about 40 miles. I parked the car in my garage overnight. This morning, I pulled down the visor to block the sun, and noticed it was wet. I opened the pano roof, and the black cloth wind deflector was completely wet, and there was some drops of water in the pano roof well.
I have a service appt scheduled for next week. I hope they can fix it.

I had my Model S since 8/2013. I really haven't used my Pano roof much, I just enjoy the feel of the glass roof. Well, I decided to open it a little more lately. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a bit more wind noise. Yesterday, it rained fairly steadily while driving home on the freeway for about 40 miles. I parked the car in my garage overnight. This morning, I pulled down the visor to block the sun, and noticed it was wet. I opened the pano roof, and the black cloth wind deflector was completely wet, and there was some drops of water in the pano roof well.

They replaced a bad seal for me and it hasn't happened again.

They replaced a bad seal for me and it hasn't happened again.

Good to know. Thanks
Overall, I have found the rubber and sealants to be a little weak on this car. I have had several interior panels (1 in the frunk and 1 in the trunk) come apart, the magnet from the charge port fell off after having the car in the hot sun for a couple of hours, and multiple irregularities along the doors (though these have been more cosmetic).

Good to know. Thanks
Overall, I have found the rubber and sealants to be a little weak on this car. I have had several interior panels (1 in the frunk and 1 in the trunk) come apart, the magnet from the charge port fell off after having the car in the hot sun for a couple of hours, and multiple irregularities along the doors (though these have been more cosmetic).

I had too had the charge port magnet come loose, so Tesla replaced the entire unit - not just the cover.

Roof noise

I had a similar issue with noise.
The technician gave me a good suggestion:
Before closing the Sunroof at highway speeds, open the driver/passenger widow a notch to equalize the pressure.

- - - Updated - - -

I am experiencing a roof leak as well.
The 1st occurrence happened at the car wash, I could tell from the blue soap.
There was a leak at the rear passenger reading light.

The 2nd occurrence happened after being outside in a down pour.
All 4 corners of the pano roof had evidence of a leak.

My car had a leak for who knows how long. As you know, California doesn't get much rain. I couldn't tell the car had a leak because the water was draining under the passenger seat under the carpet for who knows how long since I wash the car once a week cause of all the dust. The car would smell and it caused a chemical burn inside my nose when I had to breath. One day after cleaning and vacuuming I decide to lift the floor mat up and low and behold, the rubber underside of the mat was all wet. I felt the carpet and it was soaking. I wouldn't know beforehand cause I only drive alone most of the time so that carpet never really gets dirty and who would check under the floor mat anyways.