Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/mi consumption too high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving my 2021 y long range for about. 1500 mi. I’ve been driving it as conservatively as possible, hold mode regen brakes, speed limits. Etc. I have had a model x and a still own a model 3, but this car I can’t seem to get the wh/mi under 305 to save my life. Any thoughts? What are others seeing as an average. I get lower wh/mi on freeway than I do driving around town.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
Assuming you have the Apollo wheels with Gemini hubcaps (at least 42 PSi), you can get a really high Wh/mi with rapid acceleration, not just high top speed. I can keep my car under 55 yet destroy the Wh/mi just by accelerating a little fast from every stoplight and stop sign I come across (because it just never gets old). I think a lot of people forget just how much push these cars have from a stop. Its no fun to accelerate like a gas car but that's where a lot of the losses are. Another is continuing the go-pedal all the way until the end, and braking late (engaging the conventional front brakes), rather than using the one-pedal to slow down.

Reactions: TravelFree
Yikes! Are you towing a 50 foot camper!?!? My MY 19" wheels, LR, has 7100 miles. I didn't reset trip B until about 2000 miles later...but my Trip B is at 5284 miles and 256 Wh/mi. That is pretty typical. Some Dead-Of-Winter (with a head wind and 70 mph) trips will come up at 400 Wh/mi...but some 'spring' (no A/C nor heat) will show 210 Wh/mi. My driving is typically 1/2 interstate (55 or 70 mph), and 1/2 city/rural (30 or 45 mph). On the pure 'city' trips, I've hit sub 200 Wh/mi for 20 or even 30 miles.

Yikes! Are you towing a 50 foot camper!?!? My MY 19" wheels, LR, has 7100 miles. I didn't reset trip B until about 2000 miles later...but my Trip B is at 5284 miles and 256 Wh/mi. That is pretty typical. Some Dead-Of-Winter (with a head wind and 70 mph) trips will come up at 400 Wh/mi...but some 'spring' (no A/C nor heat) will show 210 Wh/mi. My driving is typically 1/2 interstate (55 or 70 mph), and 1/2 city/rural (30 or 45 mph). On the pure 'city' trips, I've hit sub 200 Wh/mi for 20 or even 30 miles.
This is very similar to my experience.

Reactions: iamnid
30k miles here with 272 wh/mi lifetime average. And I have a PUP with 21” Uberturbines.

I commute 85 miles each way but on 2 lane back roads (55-65 mph) with very minimal start/stops. My wh/mi is over 300 when taking road trips on the interstate.... My wife has a LR and my efficiency stats are much better than hers. She has a 13 mile commute but in city driving..... So, I would say that the type of driving has more to do with the efficiency....

MY LR AWD 5: 3,000 mi (of which about half were interstate miles at 70+ mph, the remainder mostly city driving). 277 Wh/Mile, Avg speed 42.2 mph, Avg Temp 69.37F. Just yesterday I drove somewhere local and back, 46 mi roundtrip, all freeway (300ft el. gain and return) @ 70mph: 274 Wh/mile.

Those numbers seem high, but hard to tell without knowing your driving conditions (elevations, draft etc...) and the way you drive. As mentioned above, if you try to beat every car next to you at every stop sign/light, then it's normal that you would end up with very high numbers.

I would say that I drive 90% freeway(between 55 and 70mph) and average 276wh/mi over 5000 miles. I very rarely launch, so it's fascinating to see other people being in the 250s, I think I drive pretty conservatively. I also just finished a 1000 mile road trip going mostly >75mph on the freeway, ended up averaging right at 300wh/mi.

The lifetime Wh/mi for mine is 272 with about 7,000 miles on the clock. I can push 300 wh/mi easily on the streets just by mashing the pedal down hard from every stop, and braking really late, just as I get to the next light. On the freeways, even at 70mph, i can slow down to 65, and then mash the throttle to 78 and slow down again, (and repeat), basically rubber-banding the pedal. The car will average maybe 70mph but the wh/mi will be in the low 300’s.

An average low highway speed can certainly have a high wh/mi and that kind of driving (constantly slowing down and then accelerating hard) will definitely achieve it. It’s a crazy way to drive but I think people may be doing that more often than they think. Just not as severe as my example.

the lowest I’ve pulled was 250 wh/mi and I did that by accelerating VERY slowly and using the one-pedal technique to its fullest (slowly letting off the pedal early) Very dull and boring for sure, but I’m guessing that’s how other people are doing it.

Something seems off. Could be environmental conditions, running AC extra cold, or battery needing extra cooling during heat wave, but 305 Wh/m seems high when you’re actively trying to conserve energy. For comparison, I flogged a MYP during a test drive and tested acceleration from 60-90 MPH and still only averaged 286 Wh/m.

Are you sure wheels and tires are properly aligned, balanced, and inflated? I know the car’s new but any chance they put some Ultra High Performance tires on your Y instead of the normal Grand Touring version? Also ask SC to check if brake calipers/pads are slightly stuck.

I have been driving my 2021 y long range for about. 1500 mi. I’ve been driving it as conservatively as possible, hold mode regen brakes, speed limits. Etc. I have had a model x and a still own a model 3, but this car I can’t seem to get the wh/mi under 305 to save my life. Any thoughts? What are others seeing as an average. I get lower wh/mi on freeway than I do driving around town.

I live in a 4-seasons part of the nation (Pennsylvania), I've got 19" wheels on my LR AWD MY, and most of my driving takes place on 2-lane roads that are marked as 45-55 mph (and I tyipcally drive 5-8 mph over whatever is listed). After ~15,000 miles my lifetime wh/mile is exactly 250... TIFWIW.

That isn't unusual for the start of a drive in a hot climate. I see similar bad numbers when doing really short trips around here. Longer trips on the interstate actually do a little better.

A big part of it is the time taken at max A/C to cool the vehicle. Its not significant overall, but if it takes 5 minutes of a 15 minute drive then it will really skew the numbers.

That isn't unusual for the start of a drive in a hot climate. I see similar bad numbers when doing really short trips around here. Longer trips on the interstate actually do a little better.

A big part of it is the time taken at max A/C to cool the vehicle. Its not significant overall, but if it takes 5 minutes of a 15 minute drive then it will really skew the numbers.

+1 to this, my wh/mi is always bad at the start of almost any trip, almost any time of the year or day... early in the morning on my way to work, before it's gotten "hot out" and right after I've taken my car out of the (unheated/cooled directly, but connected to the heated/cooled house and certainly shaded) garage, my wh/mi is always high for the first few miles...

Really short trips seem to do poorly for efficiency.
Likewise, really "long trips" (that typically involve getting on the interstate and going really fast for some period of time) generally don't do so well either...
But getting into my tesla and going 40-60 mph in 45 minute increments seems to do quite well (250ish)... and just based on where I live and where I travel to get to where I'm usually trying to go, that's mostly what I do with my car...