Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/mi consumption too high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving my 2021 y long range for about. 1500 mi. I’ve been driving it as conservatively as possible, hold mode regen brakes, speed limits. Etc. I have had a model x and a still own a model 3, but this car I can’t seem to get the wh/mi under 305 to save my life. Any thoughts? What are others seeing as an average. I get lower wh/mi on freeway than I do driving around town.
One of the top things I wish I had been told before buying an electric car is how much of a difference the temperature makes on the efficiency.

My normal driving is >300 during the winter, ~240 during the spring and summer. For me, 65-70 degrees seems to be a pretty big breakpoint.

Well, you're going to love my report. When you say yours is not normal, you not providing yourself with enough polling.
I rent on turo a 2020 MY LR with 20in tires. Over 42,000 miles. Since the first of the year I have had 12 rentals total with over 5,000 miles. This is not counting any other time it's being driven. In those 12 times my wh numbers are well above 300. Matter fact, the average while renting is 357.6
This car loves power, just the way it is. I have non tesla tires and i run 45 psi. It's driven normal

All my numbers come from TeslaFi

• Informative
Reactions: mrwug
Hi all, new model Y owner, 150mi on the odometer, received it less than two weeks ago - I first noticed my Model Y's energy page was showing the Wh/mi number in the high 400 range (approximately 50mi into ownership). I called Tesla they had me reboot the car (and the screen - two steps) and drive on a highway and the number dropped into the 250 range. All great. Today while driving in the city, at 20-30mph at most, being extremely gentle, the last several miles the Wh/m has shot up to 1200... This can't be normal can it? See the attached image showing the Wh/mi history. I called Tesla says support is closed today. Have a road trip coming up in a couple days. The only thing extra on the car is a bike rack (note all the driving so far has been without any bikes loaded, it's folded and definitely not the explaining factor giving the ridiculous energy readings).

Hi all, new model Y owner, 150mi on the odometer, received it less than two weeks ago - I first noticed my Model Y's energy page was showing the Wh/mi number in the high 400 range (approximately 50mi into ownership). I called Tesla they had me reboot the car (and the screen - two steps) and drive on a highway and the number dropped into the 250 range. All great. Today while driving in the city, at 20-30mph at most, being extremely gentle, the last several miles the Wh/m has shot up to 1200... This can't be normal can it? See the attached image showing the Wh/mi history. I called Tesla says support is closed today. Have a road trip coming up in a couple days. The only thing extra on the car is a bike rack (note all the driving so far has been without any bikes loaded, it's folded and definitely not the explaining factor giving the ridiculous energy readings).
When you first start driving the Tesla Model Y energy screen can show high numbers. The Wh/mile figure will drop into the expected range after 3/4 to 1 mile of driving. I wish Tesla would only start displaying the Wh/mi value after you have driven at least 1 mile.

• Informative
Reactions: Exelion and jsight
When you first start driving the Tesla Model Y energy screen can show high numbers. The Wh/mile figure will drop into the expected range after 3/4 to 1 mile of driving. I wish Tesla would only start displaying the Wh/mi value after you have driven at least 1 mile.
Idk, in some ways that is worse as it makes it appear that it isn't counting climate usage.

Thanks, I don't think my image came through, attempting to attach again. The readings don't settle in after 1mile. They stay extremely elevated unless I get on a highway (that's what I've noticed so far at least)

IMG_20210912_163720.jpg

Thanks, I don't think my image came through, attempting to attach again. The readings don't settle in after 1mile. They stay extremely elevated unless I get on a highway (that's what I've noticed so far at least)

View attachment 708692
Seattle has some elevation changes, that could account for the additional usage. Even at low speeds if you are traveling up hill your consumption will be higher than expected.

You might want to use the Navigation system to enter a destination about 5 to 10 miles away and then observe the Energy screen for the trip consumption. The Navigation system takes into account the posted speed limit along the route and any elevation changes. Any deviation from the expected consumption will show up on the graph.

Reactions: jsight
I've had the energy usage screen be stuck over 700 wh/mi for no apparent reason even if im stopped or lightly accelerating but on the current drive odometer is still saying 260 wh/mi, energy screen goes back to normal next drive session

it's happened maybe like twice since june, seems to be a random glitch but hasn't really affected overall range

i average about 260 wh/mi most of my drive to work and then back its about 300 wh/mi with A/C

i've had 1 day where i didnt use the A/C, and to work got 190 wh/mi and then back was about 250 wh/mi

spirited driving or not it's honestly about the same most of the time in my case

Seattle has some elevation changes.. .You might want to use the Navigation system to consumption will show up on the graph....
Will try this tomorrow, thanks
That's five miles of really high climbing consumption. Are you climbing a mountain? This seems strange.
Nope, mostly flat with one small hill at most during those 5miles I believe.
I've had the energy usage screen be stuck over 700 wh/mi for no apparent reason even if im stopped or lightly accelerating but on the current drive odometer is still saying 260 wh/mi, energy screen goes back to normal next drive session
My current drive odometer seems to indicating similar levels for the given periods.

Your AC is working hard at 67° Also check your tires to see if your tire pressure is really low like 20psi. Pump to 44psi or what is on the door sticker That was the cause of my wife's Y when she got poor wh/mile. Check the temperature of your brakes. If they are really hot they could be dragging and need Tesla service. Drive speed limit, 80mph really raises the wh/mile. 60mph and you should average 250wh/mile. Do some controlled test runs for 5 minute settings.

When you are driving……accelerating, decelerating, coasting……..how much attention do you give to the energy flow line pictured below?
1631527149542.jpeg

Try to minimize the extent of the dark demand side while accelerating gently………., and when you are up to speed ease off the accelerator and make the line neutral, no gray, NO GREEN. Exploit this on flat and especially declined roads.
Only allow the green regen line to show when deceleration is necessary to slow.
If you‘re accelerating, just to immediately regen, you are wasting enormous energy.

(15 years ago this technique was exploited in the Toyota Prius, they called it ‘Pulse and glide’.
70, 80, even 90mpg were possible with technique and energy awareness.)

How is this applied to an EV ?
Minimize your acceleration rate and the gray line.
The Glide is the key in an EV. Expend energy to attain speed and momentum, then zero out your energy usage (make the Line neutral) and let that momentum carry you along as long as possible.
Yes this is hypermiling. Done to an extreme will piss people off.
But done with awareness and reason and common sense , it becomes an energy efficiency game changer.

If you don’t even look at that line or know it’s there, you’ll never achieve low energy usage and low kW/mile.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Exelion