Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

What’s the dumbest thing you’ve heard about EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dentist once asked me, “But how do you recharge the battery if you drive way out in the middle of the desert and run out of electricity?”

To which I replied after he took the drill and suction tube outta my mouth, “But how would you fill up the tank if you drove your gas car out there?”

Silence for a few seconds, just enough time for him to start drilling again...

Dumbest? There was a guy on the Bimmerfest forums insisting that the electrical motors would cause physical ailments due to electromagnetic interference. He claimed that he had health problems when driving a Prius that cleared up when he got back into a BMW.

Now that's pretty dumb. Probably wears one of those magic bracelets to 'balance the ions in his blood using magnetism'.
If I went from a BMW to a Prius I’d have health problems too. Like hypertension due to slow-ass pickup.

My dentist once asked me, “But how do you recharge the battery if you drive way out in the middle of the desert and run out of electricity?”

To which I replied after he took the drill and suction tube outta my mouth, “But how would you fill up the tank if you drove your gas car out there?”

Uh... Charlie... is that you???

Back to the relevant subject, and related to this great question....

It used to be quite often that I was asked a similar question.

"What happens if something on your EV "breaks down" in the middle of nowhere?"

My answer has been consistent: "The same thing that happens when a gas car breaks down. You either fix it or you figure out how to tow it."

Most amusing is that this question is typically asked by somebody who has NO idea how to deal with a car that isn't working perfectly. And for some reason, the assumption is that gas cars never stop working.

him: Why do you stop to charge it? Why not just put generators on the wheels and keep going?

me: Because generators consume more energy than they produce. It would reduce my range.

him: You're stuck in the old days. New generators are much more efficient.

me: Probably true, but not so efficient that they make more energy than it takes to turn them.

him: Well, you also probably think that I'm suggesting putting them on the drive wheels. Nope! You'd put them on the wheels that are otherwise just spinning and wasting all that energy.

I wish I were kidding.
I have had that one several times. I have tried to explain why it won't work in simple terms, it complex terms and every way in between and people who think that should work just don't get it.

Omg
I just had someone ask how many rechargeable AA batteries it needs and isn’t it a pain to crawl under to change them every week. :eek:

I thought she was joking , but was dead serious.
Showed the charge port and she then thought that’s how I recharge those AA batteries.
Had to explain that it comes with an industrial grade battery installed.

Not wanna stereotype.... southern california blonde.

She might have seen this SNL skit:
New Mercedes

Pretty funny if a bit silly.

I have had that one several times. I have tried to explain why it won't work in simple terms, it complex terms and every way in between and people who think that should work just don't get it.
You must have heard that this is all due to you not being able to think beyond what is currently possible, correct? Usually the conversation moves into how all innovation has come from people who think differently, and aren't afraid to leave "conventional thinking" behind.

I've never heard somebody say that innovation has come from violating our understanding of thermodynamics though. Mostly because they've never heard of this impossibly confining "thermodynamics."

So yeah I was a little nervous, bought a software limited 60D, one year later after price reduction got the 75D,
was at like 45K when I did, range at 90% WAS 360 km. A year later was still 360, now at 102KM still 360. (as long as it's not like freezing).
So really not seeing ANY range degradation. I'm sure it will come, driving 40K+ a year, but not terribly worried. Even 10 Percent in 10 years seems unlikely now.
Lucky you. I'm down 15% at 69,000 miles (176 RM at 100%). Yes, Tesla batteries can degrade quickly, even if most people don't seem to have a problem.

Tesla originally thought they needed a 2-speed trans early on too. Expense, weight and (most importantly) failure rate spelled the end of that plan. I'm curious to discover at what speed the trans will shift. Or wait! Will it be manual?

And then to discover "why."

The roadster 2 is rumored to have a 2 speed. It's for higher performance in the 100-200 mph speeds

Dumbest? There was a guy on the Bimmerfest forums insisting that the electrical motors would cause physical ailments due to electromagnetic interference. He claimed that he had health problems when driving a Prius that cleared up when he got back into a BMW.

Now that's pretty dumb. Probably wears one of those magic bracelets to 'balance the ions in his blood using magnetism'.
I can almost believe that one. I currently have a Prius and it erodes my soul! Think I'm allergic to it. That's why I'll be getting a Model 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Oil comes from desert.

I was showing the car to my cousins and family who we're sitting in the back seat with their phones plugged into the rear USB ports and they happened to ask me the usual run of questions: how far does it go? how do you recharge? what happens when the batteries die?

I told them it goes about 300 miles, but I can plug phones or portable batteries into the USB ports and steal power to charge the car's main battery! They thought I was serious and started checking their phones and laughing, it was pretty hilarious. I continued to tell them the batteries poop out the back individually and I have to go to the Tesla store to get new ones and drop them into the gas tank where you'd normally fill up a gas car too haha. Suppose i win in terms of dumbest answers to these questions but i still thought i'd share.