Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s your favorite mode for driving ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So guys I have the MY and drove it home yesterday with the hold function and I have to say I was impressed but there was just something that bothered me about it that it brakes too sudden and jerks the car so I was doing 60 on motorway and had to slow down for the 40 and it went too fast! Maybe I just got to get use to it or If I dislike it then switch to creep

So guys I have the MY and drove it home yesterday with the hold function and I have to say I was impressed but there was just something that bothered me about it that it brakes too sudden and jerks the car so I was doing 60 on motorway and had to slow down for the 40 and it went too fast! Maybe I just got to get use to it or If I dislike it then switch to creep
Stick to Hold mode and single-pedal. it just takes getting used to until it's "muscle memory" (a few days really) .. then you will never go back. After all, think back to how "odd" it felt when you learned to drive. The jerks are just because you are driving it like a regular automatic, once you learn to "feather" the accelerator it will be butter smooth .. bet if you drove a stick shift it would jerk as much for a few weeks until you picked it up :)

…it brakes too sudden and jerks the car so I was doing 60 on motorway and had to slow down for the 40 and it went too fast! Maybe I just got to get use to it or If I dislike it then switch to creep

You braked too sudden. The right pedal is both brake and brake. In same way that you don’t suddenly press it, you don’t suddenly lift. As you say, something to get use to which quickly happens.

On some Teslas, and early Model 3 software, creep and hold were the only options so we only got to use them. When hold was introduced it was a revelation although it made most (only?) difference at slow speed. Not sure how much difference, if any it would have made to your 60-40 lift off pedal.

tl;dr stick with hold

Lifting off the accelerator quickly on an EV with regen braking is very similar to hard breaking, lift of slowly and you will quickly get used to the braking effect and be able to moderate/control the slow down. One main advantage is if you are doing an emergency stop your car is already hard braking before your foot even reaches the brake pedal and this could easily be the difference between a sharp intake of breath and a quickened heartbeat or £1000's of pounds of damage.

Like other's have said, stick to hold - it'll be both safer and more convenient in the long run.

Right now if you're coming from a ICE car and used to taking your foot of the accelerator (in one quick movement) to then put it on the brake, you're already going to be braking too hard for normal circumstances.

Think of the accelerator pedal like this: if you're on the motorway cruising at 65mph and you're keeping the throttle at 50% pressed - just keeping it there to maintain the speed. If you then change from 50% to 40% (i.e. slightly lifting off the pedal) that will be like applying +8% of the brake for a short period of time before the speed equalises. Go from 50% to 30% will be like applying +17% of the brake before the speed equalises. Go from 50% to 0% will be like applying 45% of the brake... etc. (I'm making these numbers up by the way, I don't know the exact correlation between throttle input and regen, it must be close to 1:1 but I'm sure it's not exactly 1:1). But the principle stands.

As people will tell you, once you get used to it, it'll be come easy. Then it'll become intuitive. When it's become intuitive, you will be able to place the car almost telepathically to where you want it to go or stop or how much you slow down - that's when the fun begins!

(I did see someone in the Q4 thread that really moaned about this - amongst many other things, sheesh! - and I wanted to put them right, but the way they were going on about it I really just couldn't be bothered. Anyway, I hope this helps and you begin to enjoy the car more without the "jerks" :) )

Edit: thinking about it, quickly going from 50% to 0% throttle will apply 100% regen (if battery conditions are right) and not 45% in my example above, so my math might be off but I'm sure someone out there might be able to plot the numbers better than me. But again, I think that's the general principle.

Last edited:
You'll soon get the hang of it ... there's some pleasure in driving it like a hearse in convoy (!) ... really imperceptible lifting of the pedal and you can fade the slowing (I suppose those funeral director drivers do it so the coffin doesn't hit them in the back of the head ;) )

AFAIK Hold/Creep only has an effect at stopping speed, it doesn't affect the amount of regen from 60 to 40. As per others you will get used to it, and then driving is smooth and predictable.

Interesting fact, Hold didn't exist when I got my first Model 3 in 2019, it came as a software update.

I find the Tesla regen beautifully balanced. I use Creep, but as others have said, the difference is only below walking pace.
Wife’s Fiat500e on the other hand is poorly judged. ‘Range’ mode is aggressive regen, then bangs on ’brake hold’ as you come to a halt resulting in jerky progress in traffic. ’Normal’ offers no regen braking, but allows creep.
Shame when other marques have already nailed it.