Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Advantage Does the Wall Connector Give?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a second 32a UMC w/ 14-50 (50a circuit) and used that for several years no problem. Didn't miss the speed.

I "upgraded" to gen 2 wall chargers and used that same circuit to load share across both garage ports.

As I didn't want to run another circuit (it was even more expensive) it made sense for me.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
What is the advantage of using the Tesla wall connector?
If your wallet was causing you back pain from being too thick and causing you to sit unevenly, it will remove $500 from it, thinning it out. ;)
I am planning a 60 Amp Circuit in my garage, what advantage does spending another $500 on the Tesla wall connector give me over just using the adapter and cable?
Well, if you are planning on a 60A circuit, you actually can't use that with a receptacle and adapter and mobile charge cable. Tesla only sells adapters for outlet types up to the 50A ones, like 6-50 or 14-50. You're not allowed to have those on 60A breakers/circuits. So if you want it to be a 60A circuit, you would need to get some other kind of connector--whether from Tesla or some other brand--to make use of that higher current.
New - Speed (48a instead of 32a, a 50% increase)
Yes, to make use of the higher current.
Convenience (don’t have to worry about plugging:unplugging a mobile charger every time you want to go on a trip)
Right, not really necessary to take it with you daily, but for out of town trips, that's fine. But even with that, if your trip is Supercharger-covered interstate and between pretty decent sized cities with plenty of charging points, bringing the cable still probably won't matter.
Weather-rated if your charging point is outside
Yes--for outdoor installations I definitely recommend it, since it's made to be weather sealed for that.

Both the Gen 3 HPWC and Gen 2 Mobile Connector have the same IP55 rating.
Sheesh--I had never heard of enclosure ratings that looked like IP55, so I had to do some searching to see what that was. I was only familiar with the ones that looked like 4 or 3R or 3S, etc, which seemed to be some different type of system.

Fortunately I found a Wiki page that explains it, and even has a correspondence table to show what a rating in one type of system equates to in the other.

I knew the wall connectors are 3R ratings on their enclosures. That's listed in the manuals:
Gen3
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf
Gen2
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...nstallation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?201612081439

The 3R equates to IP24.
IP Code - Wikipedia

I had never seen what the mobile connector enclosure rating was, but I had always thought they were a bit less protected than the wall connectors. The Gen2 mobile connector manual is here:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/charging_docs/gen_2_umc/Gen2_UMC_Manual_en_US.pdf

And it's a 4X enclosure rating, which equates to IP65. That is interesting, as that seems to be a little bit tighter on dust enclosure.

So neither one is IP55, actually, but it does seem like the enclosure rating for the mobile connectors is at least as good as the wall connectors, which I find surprising. I'll have to think on that some.

I used this site, which appears to be wrong and referenced the 4x as an IP55 equivalent.
NEMA vs IP Rating Chart | NEMA vs IP Enclosure Protection
Oh, well, that may not be wrong. You found a reference and I found a reference, and they say different things. Mine was a Wikipedia page, so go figure how accurate that is. I thought this was more established, but apparently it's not an exact science. From your page:

"There is not a direct correlation between NEMA ratings and IP ratings, as the two systems are based on a different set of variables. However, the table below shows an approximate cross reference that can be used to help determine the IP number that meets or exceeds a particular NEMA rating."

The other big advantage that's not often mentioned is load sharing. For example, my home has a single 60A breaker that feeds both my (Gen 2) HPWC. With this setup, either of my cars can charge at the full 48A, and if both are charging at once, they automatically drop to 24A apiece. In our home's case, adding 2 60A breakers would have been a significantly more costly installation. It's a great middle ground that lets us get the full charge rate on either car when we need it.

With the Gen 3 HPWCs, this has changed quite a bit--you need branch circuits for each HPWC, and they communicate wirelessly rather than via a comms wire. And I think they still (still!) don't have the power sharing working yet, right?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
What is the advantage of using the Tesla wall connector?

I am planning a 60 Amp Circuit in my garage, what advantage does spending another $500 on the Tesla wall connector give me over just using the adapter and cable?

Which receptical do you intend to use? The standard 14-50 needs to be protected by a 50 amp breaker. You can pull wire for a 60 amp and installation 14-50 and a 50 amp receptacle for now and then swap out them out with a WC and 60 amp breaker if you want.

• Informative
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
The other big advantage that's not often mentioned is load sharing.
Heh, yeah! That really is a great, advantageous, useful, desirable feature that a lot of people need
And I think they still (still!) don't have the power sharing working yet, right?
...which is why it was such a moronic decision for Tesla to replace the Gen2 with the Gen3 wall connector that is still missing that functionality!

I agree with the all of the above and would add the wall connector is likely safer as it is hard wired rather than a physical plug. Granted a 14-50 is pretty solid, but a 14-50 is also not intended to plugged in and unplugged frequently. Basically just adding another failure point, again unlikely but...
There are regular reports of melted 14-50 sockets due to poor connection. A hard wired socket is more reliable.

If your wallet was causing you back pain from being too thick and causing you to sit unevenly, it will remove $500 from it, thinning it out. ;)

Its only $225 when adjusting for the cost of a backup UMC, not including the cost of the outlet and the plug adapter. Tesla is slow to ship, so in the event of a breakdown, you will end up having to buy third party unit with J1772.

Personally, I would do it also for the situation of a "finished" garage, to get a nice high-tech modern look. If I had the more basic plywood garage, then keeping that $225 makes sense.

Heh, yeah! That really is a great, advantageous, useful, desirable feature that a lot of people need

...which is why it was such a moronic decision for Tesla to replace the Gen2 with the Gen3 wall connector that is still missing that functionality!
Help a newbie out here. So if you have two Gen2's from the same circuit, they basically communicate with each other to not overload the breaker?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Help a newbie out here. So if you have two Gen2's from the same circuit, they basically communicate with each other to not overload the breaker?
Yes. We have 3 load-balanced gen 2 wall connectors. Each of them could individually charge a car at up to 80 amps (if we had an older Model S) on our 100 amp circuit. Our current Teslas can only charge at 48 amps each. If we charge one car, it charges at 48 amps. If we charge two cars simultaneously, the 80 amps is split 50/50 and each car gets 40 amps. If we charge three cars at once, they each get ~27 amps. As each car finishes charging, the amps are reallocated to the cars that are still charging.

With gen 2 wall connectors, you can actually link up to four of them together. We only have three in our garage. There's room for a 4th but we really never need to charge all four cars at once.

Supposedly gen3 wall connectors will have this functionality eventually but it will be controlled via wifi instead of a signal wire that runs between the wall connectors. They will eventually allow 16 wall connectors to share a circuit.

Gen 2 documentation:
upload_2021-1-26_12-35-49.png

Gen 3 documentation:
upload_2021-1-26_12-33-38.png