Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the best arguments you've heard NOT to get a Tesla S/X/(3) ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, we are an all EV family that does NOT have a TESLA. Really one reason as every other reason we have read about here we have either overcome (50 amp 240 charging in the garage of the town house) or doesn't apply to us. That one reason? Price. We are a 100 grand a year couple (we work about 7 months of the year) and I suspect we are WAAAY below the income bracket of most of the folks on this forum. We are mid 50's and don't really owe anything to anybody but we want to retire early (soon) and we need the portfolio to be a bit bigger if we want to be able to do the things we like to do. Will that change with the model 3? Maybe. We will only need/want one vehicle once we retire so I guess we will see how it all falls into place. Until then we'll just hang out here on the side lines and read, listen and learn. TESLA is a great car and we have enjoyed all the test drives we have made but it is still just a car and travelling is pretty important to us at this point as we are very mobile and in good shape. We spend about 3 months of the year on the road, have seen much of the world, speak four languages.....and yet there is still so much more to see. :eek: So yah, I suspect we, like many others in our income bracket, simply have to prioritize the pennies. First world problems. ::)

JMHO

John and Angela

Reactions: T34ME and tmarcc
We have one Model S already, and are considering another. Biggest reason I'd go with a 5-series/E-class instead would be a lack of destination charging options. Superchargers are great, but without destination charging you can't stay in a town for more than a few days without having to make a special trip back to the supercharger. This is changing slowly as more places get chargers, but still the vast majority of hotels don't have even a 5-15 available for EVs.

We will be charging at home 95% of the time with our TM3. But I guess my biggest concern is the one hour length of time (or more depending on how busy) to charge at a Supercharger 5% of the time on long trips. I currently drive a PHEV and love everything about it.

I have a 2014 Model S with about 45,000 miles. I would buy another, but I caution people on the following.

Poor fit and finish compared to modern cars like an Acura. I am very easy on my cars. My car has the following issues:

Fabric on A Pillar drivers side is worn off on bottom.
Passenger vanity mirror broken off
Scratched chrome on interior door handles.

This is the kind of stuff, I used to see on Chevrolet's I owned in the 1990.

Other things I warn about:

Inconsistent speed of superchargers, I get a slow charge about 20% of the time.
Good tech, but missing simple stuff like no waypoints on Navigation.
High cost of annual maintenance if you do it. Compares to other $100,000 plus cars but seems to be out of wack. I was aware of this when I bought, so no issues for me. Just warn people.

Other than that kind of stuff, the car is great.

Last edited: