Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are you using for paint protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading about a lot of different products people are using to protect the paint surface. And unfortunately I'm not familiar with any of them. Seems like a good idea with a $100k purchase. Rather than asking every time someone mentions something, I thought I would ask people in one place what they're using.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
I've been reading about a lot of different products people are using to protect the paint surface. And unfortunately I'm not familiar with any of them. Seems like a good idea with a $100k purchase. Rather than asking every time someone mentions something, I thought I would ask people in one place what they're using.

I have Opticoat Pro on my Model S. Another one that is popular among people on this site is Cquartz Pro. If you do searches on those, you'll find lots of good information.

Most people will tell you that the quality of the installer is much more important than any differences between the high-end products.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
The coatings don't really provide additional protection as Andy said it mainly adds more gloss. They also makes the surface more hydrophobic meaning water and potentially dirt can just be washed off.

Paint protection to me means a clear film over the paint, this film protects against rock chips, bugs and other road hazards. It will also protect your paint from scratches or keys if someone really doesn't like you! Another benefit is cleaning or washing your car is easier as you don't have to worry about swirl marks or other damage to the clear coat at the paints surface. This is a big issue with unprotected paint as it's very easy to rub dirt against the clear coat and cause damage swirl marks scratches etc especially on darker cars. I can often get away without washing my car at all by using a suggested synthetic spray detailer wax, I spray it on the paint protected film and wipe the dirt away with one microfiber cloth and then wipe the surface to a shine with a second clean microfiber cloth! The paint protective film also self heals in the sun any microscratches that are created so that the surface looks flat smooth and high gloss as well.

Personally the first thing I did when I picked up my car was to get full paint protection on all painted surfaces. After my research I settled on 3m Scotch Guard Pro as 3m invented this stuff years ago for the military and have been improving on it since. The 3m Scotch guard pro has a 7 year warranty.

The coatings don't really provide additional protection as Andy said it mainly adds more gloss. They also makes the surface more hydrophobic meaning water and potentially dirt can just be washed off.

Paint protection to me means a clear film over the paint, this film protects against rock chips, bugs and other road hazards. It will also protect your paint from scratches or keys if someone really doesn't like you! Another benefit is cleaning or washing your car is easier as you don't have to worry about swirl marks or other damage to the clear coat at the paints surface. This is a big issue with unprotected paint as it's very easy to rub dirt against the clear coat and cause damage swirl marks scratches etc especially on darker cars. I can often get away without washing my car at all by using a suggested synthetic spray detailer wax, I spray it on the paint protected film and wipe the dirt away with one microfiber cloth and then wipe the surface to a shine with a second clean microfiber cloth! The paint protective film also self heals in the sun any microscratches that are created so that the surface looks flat smooth and high gloss as well.

Personally the first thing I did when I picked up my car was to get full paint protection on all painted surfaces. After my research I settled on 3m Scotch Guard Pro as 3m invented this stuff years ago for the military and have been improving on it since. The 3m Scotch guard pro has a 7 year warranty.

My S is in production now. Any good recommendation on where I can do film in Los Angeles area? Don't want to take it to any dealer...

I used and would recommend Elevated Auto Concepts in Pasadena for everything... they did a full chrome delete with wrap and some paint where recommended, powder coated my wheels black to match the chrome delete, tinted my windows and sunroof with 3m crystalline (infrared blocking tint that blocks 98% of heat) and did my full paint protective film 3m Scotch guard pro.

I used and would recommend Elevated Auto Concepts in Pasadena for everything... they did a full chrome delete with wrap and some paint where recommended, powder coated my wheels black to match the chrome delete, tinted my windows and sunroof with 3m crystalline (infrared blocking tint that blocks 98% of heat) and did my full paint protective film 3m Scotch guard pro.

Thanks Tech_Guy! Mind to share the cost of each item? Just want to prepare to negotiation if there is any room for it.

On my blue MS it has a front end 3M Scotch Guard Pro film and then I got the entire car Cquartz protected. This way the paint on the hood and bumper is protected from stone chips and I also get the shine and hydrophobic paint protection from dirt and rain. It is awesome watching rain bead off without wipers while driving.

Our MC red MS is fully 3M clearfilm wrapped without a polymer coating like CQuartz or Opticoat and it definitely has a duller looking paint finish and gets dirty/dusty more quickly. Luckily we had the PPF on the entire car because when I was having a dual charger installed at the service center someone gouged into the passenger front door PPF and there was no paint damage. Tesla SC paid for the PPF replacement on that door for me after we noticed the gouge. Always do a pre and post walk around of your vehicle to check for damage when picking up or dropping off your car anywhere.

I will be getting our MX fully wrapped and coated with either Opticoat Pro +, Cquartz Finest or GTechniq Crystal Serum when it is delivered next Feb/Mar. One thing to keep in mind is that Cquartz is a bit cheaper cost wise, but it doesn't last as long as Opticoat or GTechniq. CQuatz last only about 3 years before the coating needs to be reapplied for full protection.

Just got my Model X treated with SunTek - it was our 4th Tesla we had treated, the first 2 with XPEL Ultimate and the last 2 with SunTek - Same dealer/installer Clear Bra Ohio Southwestern Ohio's #1 Paint Protection, Paint Correction and Ceramic Paint Coating Company

The owner's name is Keith - he does an awesome job! I'm *very* picky and he impressed me the first time I had the XPEL installed on our first Tesla. The product impressed me even more: Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

So with with had read and then with my personal experience, I became a real believer in protective film. I was super impressed by the shop that did my installation and thus have been back 3 more times. Awesome job every time. Even trying to find something to 'nit pick' about, I find nothing - anyone that knows me personally, knows that's saying a lot. If you're in the Southwest Ohio area, you might want to check them out - I'm about an hour away from them, but it was worth the drive.

If you're not in this area, you may want to take a look at the reviews of the installers in your area - it's great if you can actually message or talk to a few to get their first hand experience of their dealings with their installer (and that's another way to determine if it's a real review as opposed to a made up one, etc.). Prior to my first install, I talked to several installers within a 300 mile radius, gathered lots of info and Keith at Clear Bra Ohio was that one that seemed to be most up front and honest about everything from start to finish. He was also generous with sharing information so I knew all the ins and outs of various treatments. All this was done with no 'high pressure' sales tactics. He even invited me to come an see a film installation from start to finish.

He allowed me to watch each of my installs from start to finish and even pointed out small flaws that he recommended I have the service center address (which I did). I had not even noticed these things, but looking at the right angle and under the right lighting conditions the were noticeable. After my first experience with Keith's shop, it was a no-brainer that is where I would have any future work done. Top notch in my book. Here's a pic of our Model X they just did for us yesterday:

IMG_0435_zpspapznb6y.png

So far he's done a total of 4 Teslas for our family (3 for us and 1 for my parents). On each of our vehicles he cut the film to allow for him to 'wrap' the edges of each panel (as opposed to just applying the film to only the panel surface as I've seen on some other vehicles with film applied). In my initial calls to shops prior to my first car being done, I didn't know anything about 'wrapping corners' until after talking to Keith at Clear Bra Ohio. When I started calling back some of the shops I had initially received pricing from to start asking details, I found that the majority didn't quote a price that included this and told me that it would be an 'option' for an extra fee. They didn't even offer the option in my initial conversations with them - I wonder if they would have ever told me that was even an option if I didn't ask. Previous cars I've had have always gotten 'beat up' right along the front edge of the hood (bugs, rocks, etc) - that's the area I think would be a 'must have' for protection - just my two cents... But the lesson for me was really knowing what products, techniques, and services were available before making a decision. I wasn't too thrilled with shops who just had a person with superficial knowledge answer the phones and try to sell their services. I wanted to talk to someone who really knew the products inside and out, and give me honest advice regardless of profit margin.

Here's one of my Model S: Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

I don't make recommendations unless I know the outfit I recommend will measure up (since I don't want the person I recommend to come back to me complaining if they're not satisfied, etc.). That being said, I have no reservations about highly recommending Keith's shop.

Bottom line, I highly recommend the paint protective film and a good installer. There are a few varieties of film out there and should work for you, with a little research you should be able to figure out the pros/cons of each. Clear Bra Ohio allowed me to play around with the different films in the shop and that helped me make up my mind on what I decided on for the last 2 vehicles we did. Now that we have our Model X, hopefully, this will be the last paint protective film we have installed for a while. We have a Model 3 reserved, but based on the recent supercharging change, we may not follow through on that one.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your new Tesla!

The first 3 cars we did are below:
IMG_2971_zpskufqtptz.jpg

IMG_1780_zps11wvfrhn.jpg
IMG_1837_zpsyqljq7z9.jpg

Looks super!!

How much of the X did you have wrapped and can you share pricing?
Also looking at a shop that wraps vs computer cut

Thanks!

We love it. We did about the same on each vehicle - front end, fog lights, headlights, mirrors. Partial hood, partial fenders, rear bumper area under trunk, and door handle 'pockets' on the Model S cars (didn't need that on the Model X).

They did computer cut the film, but I think there are patterns for wrapping edges and not wrapping edges. They will cut what you want/order.

I'd suggest giving them a call and describing exactly what you want done and they can let you know what you are looking at.