Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What capability does a current 2018 Model S have WITHOUT Enhanced Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jrreno

Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2013
Sarasota , Florida
If you order a Model S now without the Enhanced Autopilot option I assume it has cruise control. Does it have the ability to track the speed of the car in front of you while in cruise control? How about emergency braking? I also assume it has all the autopilot hardware since you can order Autopilot after purchase.

...without the Enhanced Autopilot....

You get:

1) regular cruise. You set it at one speed at a time and it will achieve that even if it means to cause a collision.

2) Automatic Emergency Braking: It only reduces the speed to reduce the force of collision but it is not designed to avoid a collision.

3) Front Collision Warning

4) Side Collision Warning.

You cannot upgrade your hardware unless you already paid for it such as you paid for Full Self-Driving but if Tesla needs to switch out the motherboard or chip to cope with the new computational power, it's be done with no additional cost for you.

However, if you did not pay for it, the hardware switch will cost more.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
You cannot upgrade your hardware unless you already paid for it such as you paid for Full Self-Driving but if Tesla needs to switch out the motherboard or chip to cope with the new computational power, it's be done with no additional cost for you.

This is supposition and has in no way been implied or confirmed by Tesla.

That is not true. The car was advertised and delivered with FSD ready hardware, with the option to enable now or later for a very specific cost. That is the condition of purchase of the car and it should hold no matter what. That is, if the car’s hardware proves to be insufficient for FSD, then Tesla should fix it for you free of charge just to satisfy the condition of the original car purchase, whether FSD is enabled or not, as that was part of the original purchase consideration. In addition Tesla should not change the price of the software enablement, as the commitment of adding EAP or FSD for a specific cost was also part of the original purchase.

...very specific cost...

Your very specific cost for Fully Self Driving can only be locked in if you already paid for it.

If you wait for tomorrow to activate it:

Tesla website says:

"Prices

All prices specified are recommended retail prices. Prices are current at the time of publication and subject to change without notice."

But I agree with @Derek Kessler that the price increase is only my guess but who knows, it might be a price DECREASE with better technology and mass production as well.

So to confirm, there is no adaptive cruise control without EAP? Even a Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic come standard with adaptive cruise :(

I ordered my new 100D without AP2 as I seldom used AP anyway on previous Teslas.

I figured I’d at least receive as a base feature the cruise control with slow down/speed up...as that’s been a standard feature in many cars for a decade now.

What else is going to surprise me?

Go rent an Enterprise Tesla. It will be set up EXACTLY like that. It will cost you a hundred bucks to get a first hand experience of what you will get.

Thanks for the tip :) The Enteprise’s here in Toronto don’t have Tesla’s however. I’ll just ask a local SC if they have any loaners or demos without it.

Seems like finding an owner without AP is a needle in a haystack lol.

Thx!

The resale value when you go to sell it someday without the EAP feature will....

Think about it: Unless you find a buyer who specifically wants to buy a Tesla without EAP, your car will always be worth EXACTLY $6,000.00 less than the EAP enabled model of same age and condition. This is because no matter the age (provided it has the required equipment which yours will) the upgrade cost is 6 grand (US) and there is no discount because the car is used.... Just something to think about.

If I were you, I would rethink buying a Model S sans EAP... It is THE most asked about feature I get hit up on after the obvious EV questions.

You said it best above when you said Seems like finding an owner without EAP is like finding a needle in a haystack. I suggest finding a buyer when you go to sell it might be just as difficult.

As always JMHO. Not looking to get flamed by you or called names. You may take this advice and value it for EXACTLY what you paid for it.. :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911 and Tam

The resale value when you go to sell it someday without the EAP feature will....

Think about it: Unless you find a buyer who specifically wants to buy a Tesla without EAP, your car will always be worth EXACTLY $6,000.00 less than the EAP enabled model of same age and condition. This is because no matter the age (provided it has the required equipment which yours will) the upgrade cost is 6 grand (US) and there is no discount because the car is used.... Just something to think about.

If I were you, I would rethink buying a Model S sans EAP... It is THE most asked about feature I get hit up on after the obvious EV questions.

You said it best above when you said Seems like finding an owner without EAP is like finding a needle in a haystack. I suggest finding a buyer when you go to sell it might be just as difficult.

As always JMHO. Not looking to get flamed by you or called names. You may take this advice and value it for EXACTLY what you paid for it.. :)

I’m Leasing it anyway through business...resale is not as much a consideration for me :) Tesla’s are like iPhones currently lol. 4 EV yrs is like 10 ICE yrs lol.
I’ll likely hand it back...

...I thought enhanced AP was about neighborhood driving...

That thought may be reserved for future when it'll graduate from beta status and become a final product.

At present, it is NOT designed for local streets.

It is presently, according to the owner's manual, designed for "only on highways and limited-access roads."

But we all do use it for local streets! We just have to be aware the above disclosure.

It's the same way that it is currently NOT designed construction zones but many of us do use it fine!

If you order a Model S now without the Enhanced Autopilot option I assume it has cruise control. Does it have the ability to track the speed of the car in front of you while in cruise control? How about emergency braking? I also assume it has all the autopilot hardware since you can order Autopilot after purchase.

-Lane assist- steering wheel vibrates if you cross centre line

-speed limit display

-Lane assist- steering wheel vibrates if you cross centre line

-speed limit display
I have a M 75D that I purchased in December, 2017 without autopilot. I calculated that I could always add it later. It was a budget issue for me. I am a little surprised that the cruise control, warnings, emergency braking etc are not as good as those on my wife’s 2016 VW Jetta wagon. I absolutely adore my car, but hope someday Tesla catches up on some of these basic functions. I will never buy another ICE so I’ve got my fingers crossed.