Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you do to your Tesla Model 3 today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This little gizmo arrived today. Glad I'd saved some of the off-cuts of the wrap to cover the top with.
Cup#2.jpg
Cup#1.jpg

Today I went to a vehicle tinting outlet to get a quote for Mrs Meads M3P. There ensued some discussion about dealing with the graduated tint already present in the rear window. We agreed there would be a barely (if at all) visible line where the new installation stops, probably along the same line as one of the heated window lines already present (if you know what I mean). Price agreed, booked in for install on 23/09/2020.

Reactions: Gatsojon
Fitted screen protector, went for the Spigen one - sourced from Amazon.

Fitting was a doddle, the wipe and stickers got me to zero dust trapped and it comes with a complete frame for fitting, the alignment is literally perfect.

When I first peeled the outer front layer off I hated it. Then after adjusting brightness slightly for both day and night settings I now really like it having had chance to adjust myself, it does soften all the “resolution” slightly but there’s now almost zero reflection and definitely no distracting mirror-like views in the screen plus it’s anti-fingerprint.

Will probably live with it as-is, the screen has lost some of the “wow” iPad-like feel but it’s now more functional and it was only a matter of time before I knock something against it. Protecting function wins out over form, which is a bit of a shame but I really don’t fancy damaging the screen surface.

Night mode maps now seem much better contrast with day-mode slightly less razor-sharp, we’ll see how long it lasts before I change my mind again.

• Informative
Sorted out storage compartment bags and contents.

Drove the car to coastal area and went seal-spotting, then to local harbour-front for a steak sandwich and watched with amusement as all the tourists stared and pointed at the car as they walked past.

Wired up a PIR light to my little charging “toilet” hut so I now have auto-lighting when it’s proper pitch-black as the nights start to draw in.

Decided to stick with the Spigen screen protector as out on the road it has hugely improved the usability of the display with no reflections or fingerprint smudges.

Got the same T-shirt. Is it just me, or do others find the reversing camera lines not very good in comparison with other cars they’ve owned?

Yep, nearly took my driver's mirror off on a concrete gatepost reversing into the drive the first day I had my MS. Had part exchanged a Mercedes with parking lines which were very accurate and showed the outside width of the car and also the track of the wheels. Naively assumed the two lines on the MS display represent the width of the car. They don't!

I do mean to put a couple of planks on the floor behind the car and see what the lines actually do represent, because it doesn't seem to be the wheels or the width of the car, just some vague representation of where you may or may not be heading.

Yep, nearly took my driver's mirror off on a concrete gatepost reversing into the drive the first day I had my MS. Had part exchanged a Mercedes with parking lines which were very accurate and showed the outside width of the car and also the track of the wheels. Naively assumed the two lines on the MS display represent the width of the car. They don't!

I do mean to put a couple of planks on the floor behind the car and see what the lines actually do represent, because it doesn't seem to be the wheels or the width of the car, just some vague representation of where you may or may not be heading.

Had the same problem trying to reverse into my driveway last night. The reversing light was bright enough but I had no confidence with the guide lines and only have a foot or so each side spare with an unforgiving brick end of wall one side and a street lamp pole the other.
I ended up parking a bit skew-wiff but close enough to plug the charging cable in.

Today I finished putting some of that thin edging plastic on all the door edges in the hope I won't encourage getting them scratched or scratching other adjacent parked cars. Bit of a fiddle - it had a D shape where the flat bit had a layer of sticky stuff to stick to the inside edge of the door. And managed to fit some 3D printer "bag hooks" for the frunk and two sets of the "self-opening" gas pistons for the trunk and frunk. My fob now opens both lids remotely. They're a bit stiffer to close though. Planning on putting a proper motor on the trunk lid sometime soon.

Just posting these links here for those trying to fix rattles - I don’t have the seatbelt adjuster issue but will be treating this area whilst in “panels off” mode, and the rear trim removal video is super helpful as I’d never have guessed on how these parts come out.

I have also seen some comments elsewhere that the joining trim between rear shelf and c pillar trim has breakable clips so will try to address rear C-pillar rattle by just removing the upper trim.

Remove c-pillar

Remove seatbelt adjuster trim

Also front door card removal, will post pics of before/after when I fully treat all 4 door cards for rattles, I plan on doing a one-hit job to just quieten it all down for long-term as roads are very bad near to home, in fact they should use our roads to test NVH on all cars !

Front door card

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: s88ats and Cyclone1
Finally fitted the missing boot carpet.

Managed to lose one of the retaining brackets inside the body work, hopefully it won't rattle. Secured with double sided 3M tape so holds well.

Not driven with it yet but the fit around the sides above the wheel wells just isn't that great to offer much if anything for sound reduction.

20200914_181432.jpg

20200914_181507.jpg

Oh, and finally removed the stickers from the back of the rear seats.

It’s deep breath and into the realms of all 4 door cards and C pillar trims noise reduction / rattle fixing this weekend. Adhesive closed-cell foam arrived today.

Maybe will try and do rear doors tomorrow as fronts will take longer and c-pillars will be a bit fiddly. I’m convinced the rear left c-pillar trim is not fixed in correctly to the shelf-level trim as it moves around loads compared to the rear right.

Had some fun today. Installed:

- Abstract Ocean Ultra-bright Blue LED's everywhere including puddle lights and footwells
- Installed Hansshow HUD display
- Installed freeyourtesla.com iPad mounts for dual screen setup (cool for ABRP, Waze, vids for guests while driving, etc)
- Tested my "work from Tesla" lap desk. Cool for eating in the car or using the laptop while charging
Arbeitstisch für Tesla Model 3