Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do people use "summon" for

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found limited uses for it. I do back out the car from the garage to the driveway, so that I can enter the car without risk of slamming the door into anything. I'm not able to self park in my garage since the garage has a "lip" on the ground, and I guess the lip is tall enough to make the car think it's an obstacle... What are some really good uses of summon besides just showing off to your friends of course.

I pretty much use it for two things: pulling the car back into the garage after washing it to avoid wet shoes on freshly vacuumed carpet, and pulling in fully into a nose-in parking space without hitting a curb.

About that... Hitting a curb... What are the best ways not to hit a curb when parallel parking or parking into a spot that has a concrete divider? Any features built into the car to help me avoid those obstacles? I did not notice any.

About that... Hitting a curb... What are the best ways not to hit a curb when parallel parking or parking into a spot that has a concrete divider? Any features built into the car to help me avoid those obstacles? I did not notice any.
I can't answer your question, sorry. I'm one of those people who will walk a half mile to park in a safe place rather than force the car into a spot. I don't parallel park. Backing into spots gives you the camera to watch, so that helps.

It's handy for letting the car pull itself into a tight spot that would make it difficult or impossible to open doors in. Great for getting out when people park too close as well. Good for avoiding puddles under the car. If you park head-in and realize you want to get something out of the front trunk, you can also use summon to inch it back a little to give you more room. I tend to park further in if head-in is required to minimize odds of getting scraped/hit in back.

Reactions: thecloud
I found limited uses for it. I do back out the car from the garage to the driveway, so that I can enter the car without risk of slamming the door into anything. I'm not able to self park in my garage since the garage has a "lip" on the ground, and I guess the lip is tall enough to make the car think it's an obstacle... What are some really good uses of summon besides just showing off to your friends of course.

I occasionally use it to back out of the garage. I've used it to pull out of a tight parking space a couple of times.

One time someone was here to work on the garage and I backed out both cars at once (nobody noticed). I also use it as a "dumb Tesla trick" to mess with people sometimes.

I never use it to pull into anyplace.

I dont know why, but 9 in 10 tries when i try to summon i get "summon failed" message.
Mirrors fold, lights blink, handbreak goes off and than it stops.
Simillar story with autopark. Parking spot icon was shown only few times. I'm driving under 15km/h past the parking spot, but in 99% it fails to recocnize it.
Both features are useless to me. Or maybe i'm doing something wrong?
I've got AP1 car

I never enabled it (in Settings) on any of our cars, not even to play around. I had enough close calls with the few times I tried auto-park (out of 5 times or so, it managed to not scrape the curb once). Of course I also read the fine print, any damage is on me and even if it was covered, I really don't want the hassle of waiting for parts.

Summon here in Belgium (and for me) is rather useless at the moment: it only can be operated using the mobile app (not with the keyfob nor before leaving the car) and it won't enter my garage because it's too narrow...

Reactions: .jg.