TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What do people use "summon" for

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ngeadah, May 12, 2018.

1. ngeadah

ngeadah Member

I found limited uses for it. I do back out the car from the garage to the driveway, so that I can enter the car without risk of slamming the door into anything. I'm not able to self park in my garage since the garage has a "lip" on the ground, and I guess the lip is tall enough to make the car think it's an obstacle... What are some really good uses of summon besides just showing off to your friends of course.

2. bugout

bugout Member

I use it for backing out of the garage and backing out of a parking space if someone parked too close. It's also handy to move it out of a space if it rained and there's a big puddle to avoid.

3. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I pretty much use it for two things: pulling the car back into the garage after washing it to avoid wet shoes on freshly vacuumed carpet, and pulling in fully into a nose-in parking space without hitting a curb.

4. ngeadah

ngeadah Member

About that... Hitting a curb... What are the best ways not to hit a curb when parallel parking or parking into a spot that has a concrete divider? Any features built into the car to help me avoid those obstacles? I did not notice any.

5. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Backing the car out of a tight garage?

6. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I can't answer your question, sorry. I'm one of those people who will walk a half mile to park in a safe place rather than force the car into a spot. I don't parallel park. Backing into spots gives you the camera to watch, so that helps.

• Like x 2
  7. SM18

SM18 Member

It's handy for letting the car pull itself into a tight spot that would make it difficult or impossible to open doors in. Great for getting out when people park too close as well. Good for avoiding puddles under the car. If you park head-in and realize you want to get something out of the front trunk, you can also use summon to inch it back a little to give you more room. I tend to park further in if head-in is required to minimize odds of getting scraped/hit in back.

• Like x 1
  8. Barry

Barry Active Member

Same thing as the line in that old song, "War, what is it good for." Absolutely nothing.

• Funny x 1
  9. steinermeister

Everyday to pull the car out of the garage so I can use the gym with extra floor space/training area. Easy enough to just hop in the car, but summon makes it easier and faster as I can do other things while the car leaves the garage. Time is money.

10. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    i love playing with the autopark. Not that I have a big family or many people in the back seat, this feature comes in handy to allow everyone to exit the car, walk away and allow the car park by itself.

11. HKRied

HKRied Member

12. HKRied

HKRied Member

Pretty silly toy. But I found it useful cleaning the wheels. Hard to see dirt in the spokes. A quick move for half a turn, wheel by wheel, solves that issue.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  13. unbelievable

unbelievable Member

I wouldn't be able to own a Model S if it weren't for summon. For various reasons my only possible charging location is inside my garage, and that's too tight to drive into and be able to exit the vehicle. I use summon to back the car in and out.

• Like x 2
  14. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I occasionally use it to back out of the garage. I've used it to pull out of a tight parking space a couple of times.

One time someone was here to work on the garage and I backed out both cars at once (nobody noticed). I also use it as a "dumb Tesla trick" to mess with people sometimes.

I never use it to pull into anyplace.

15. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Use it all the time. My parking spot in the apartment carport has a wall next to it. So park close to that. For passengers, i back it out with summon so they can get in.

16. smk23us

smk23us Member

I dont know why, but 9 in 10 tries when i try to summon i get "summon failed" message.
    Mirrors fold, lights blink, handbreak goes off and than it stops.
    Simillar story with autopark. Parking spot icon was shown only few times. I'm driving under 15km/h past the parking spot, but in 99% it fails to recocnize it.
    Both features are useless to me. Or maybe i'm doing something wrong?
    I've got AP1 car

17. whitex

whitex Active Member

I never enabled it (in Settings) on any of our cars, not even to play around. I had enough close calls with the few times I tried auto-park (out of 5 times or so, it managed to not scrape the curb once). Of course I also read the fine print, any damage is on me and even if it was covered, I really don't want the hassle of waiting for parts.

18. G60Jet

G60Jet Member

I have a really tight drive so my MS often get summoned in and out.

19. Axael

Axael Member

Summon here in Belgium (and for me) is rather useless at the moment: it only can be operated using the mobile app (not with the keyfob nor before leaving the car) and it won't enter my garage because it's too narrow...

• Like x 1
  20. Langhorne

Langhorne Member

I mostly use it to entertain/amaze kids. They get to sit on the drivers seat and "drive" the car by themselves. :p