Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your house keys (for those that use their phone as a car key)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a moment yesterday, where we got home and realised neither of us had a house key on us. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s because we normally have a house key on our car keys, but now we‘ve got a Tesla and use the app to lock/unlock, it’s all a new routine.

Im wondering what you do? Do you have a phone case with a key(s) in it, or another solution.

Please share!

How are people finding the smart locks having lived with them for a while now?

Some Black Friday deals have started.
It’s been great, especially now that I’ve calibrated home assistant to lock and unlock automatically as you approach or walk away from the door.

It’s nice not having to carry keys any more, would highly recommend it.

Upvote 0
It’s been great, especially now that I’ve calibrated home assistant to lock and unlock automatically as you approach or walk away from the door.

It’s nice not having to carry keys any more, would highly recommend it.

I'm hesitant to unlock automatically as for my door type its 'lock' and 'open' respectively so any false positive could leave the door open.

So honestly I still use the key, but my kids seem fine with the app. My son does seem to get the lock jammed but thats probably the door frame being a bit stiff sometimes. Second time is normally fine.

My wife has already said she wishes there was a fingerprint button as she often comes home from work with both hands full with bags but adding the fingerprint reader means adding the bridge which gets expensive fast. And honestly I'm just annoyed when so many things need a bridge these days.

Upvote 0

note with that kit it can be very specific. I bought the replacement handle version and it wouldn't fit my lock - the spindle wasn't the correct ratio front:back, and the handle wouldn't cover the original screw holes of my old handle. YMMV of course but I ended up returning it, buying the simple stick on version, and a separate thumb turn yale lock that was the correct size for my existing door

Upvote 0
I have three smartlocks, one for 2 years and two for just over a year. 2 x Prolok slimline multi and one exactly the same but sold by Simpled at half the price.
1 is on the UPVC front door with multi lock, 1 on back door which is wood with a 5 lever lock also fitted but never used anymore and the third is on my workshop shed. All three are connected via wifi and are operated from an App. also keypad, finger prints, remote fob, cards and an emergency key over ride.
All have worked without flaw and look very good too.

Bit of a pig to fit and you do have to drill holes through your door - but you do get a template.

Also has a facility to engage "passage mode" - you set times and once unlocked they remain unlocked until the time you have set and then auto lock, you can also manually lock by just holding the keypad for a few seconds to cancel passage mode at any time.
If interfered with or someone tries to guess the code it alarms and sends a text to the phone.

For me, i think they are brilliant and so much better than keys.

Upvote 0

I installed this 2 months ago on the door between the garage and house. Works with Bluetooth, better than I ever expected.

It knows my wife is home, her phone 15’ from the smart lock. But when I back out of the garage the door locks itself and stays locked unless my wife unlocks it.

Coming home, I get notified on my phone the door has unlocked prior to the car coming to a complete stop in the garage.

One other plus. If the door is left unlocked for xx minutes, it locks itself. Of course you can unlock it from the outside manually with the key pad.

It‘s kinda weird, I no longer carry keys

1699011835625.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm hesitant to unlock automatically as for my door type its 'lock' and 'open' respectively so any false positive could leave the door open.

So honestly I still use the key, but my kids seem fine with the app. My son does seem to get the lock jammed but thats probably the door frame being a bit stiff sometimes. Second time is normally fine.

My wife has already said she wishes there was a fingerprint button as she often comes home from work with both hands full with bags but adding the fingerprint reader means adding the bridge which gets expensive fast. And honestly I'm just annoyed when so many things need a bridge these days.
Did you get the Nuki? If so, the Keypad 2 has a fingerprint reader. It doesn’t need a bridge as it connects directly to the smart lock.

Upvote 0
Did you get the Nuki? If so, the Keypad 2 has a fingerprint reader. It doesn’t need a bridge as it connects directly to the smart lock.

Yes. I have now since bought a keypad thanks to this thread. Wife is happy so thats a good step - getting a phone app opened up was more hassle for her than fishing keys out her bag which is fair enough when her hands are full

Reactions: Cardo
Upvote 0
How do you find it? I have a couple of gen 1 keypads but do quite like the sound of the fingerprint reader.

it works which avoids arguments :)

It also has a backup of codes in case the print doesn't work but they have to be 6 digits it seems, and the keypad doesn't have a 0 so it makes it hard for me to use codes I can remember (eg reuse my pin code for my phone). So for now I've just put in placeholders. It just sticks to the frame with double sided tape so super easy to install

Upvote 0
Installation is easy. What’s less easy is having the perfect cylinder for it. I’d recommend a cylinder with thumb turn as on previous pages, and getting the necessary adapter from nuki (they’ll post to you for free)
Sorry, I sort of lost track on this - thought I’ll get one during the Black friday sale - don’t think there is any discount. Btw, it is a daft question - do you fix the Nuki outside or the inside of the door? The thumb turn is inside, so also I am not sure whether I need a new cylinder?

Upvote 0
Btw the thumb turn is inside - one of the video showed fixing it on top of the keyhole. I don’t have a keyhole inside. Attached the door picture. The first one is outside and the next one is inside.

you're good although you may need to take the thumb turn off and get them to send you an adapter (free). Thumb turn is the better option IMO as it means you know you can still use a key from the outside which is important for emergency access.

Reactions: Cardo
Upvote 0
Fitted a Yale Conexis L2 a few weeks ago.
Having read a bunch of reviews that said how difficult it was, I thought the instructions were excellent and very straightforward.

The app has been updated (Yale bought a US smart lock company and nicked their software apparently ).
Hardware feels very well made and sturdy both in installation and usage.

Cleaners and son #1 have RFID tags, but wife and I just use the Auto Unlock on the iPhone app, just like the Tesla.
Bought a bunch more tags as they’re only a few quid. Easy to code up in 30 seconds if you need to ‘cut’ a spare, or you can send a virtual key apparently.

No failures so far 🤞, but I do keep a spare backdoor key in the car just in case…
I'm thinking to install this as well, but I read a lot poor review regarding the App.

I'm not sure if the reviews were submitted before the app was updated, how do you find it?

Upvote 0
you're good although you may need to take the thumb turn off and get them to send you an adapter (free). Thumb turn is the better option IMO as it means you know you can still use a key from the outside which is important for emergency access.
from the installation videos it seems the Nuki are supposed to stick to the door, so how would it work with the multi point doors?

Upvote 0
I'm thinking to install this as well, but I read a lot poor review regarding the App.

I'm not sure if the reviews were submitted before the app was updated, how do you find it?
We’ve had no issues. Have it installed on only iOS devices though, can’t speak to any Android variants. Even managed to ‘retire’ one phone and upgrade to another without issue.
Just followed the instructions closely, checked we had the right app for the L2, and that all was working ok before adding further phones and users.
If you can use the Tesla app, you’ll be fine with Yale Home app.

Upvote 0