Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you use to track energy usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holmgang

Sep 9, 2019
eu
For general curiosity sake, tracking efficiency over time, trend spotting, etc.... what do you use to track energy usage and how exactly do you do it?

With my current car I just log every fill-up with Fuelio. With your Tesla do you log everytime you charge? Or get a data dump on weekly basis? Do you tap into the vehicle somehow? Or is it provided through the app? Or do you need to record manually?

This is a misconception. Properly configured, these apps poll Tesla's API, and rarely impact the car directly. Additional drain is minimal.

The operative words for me in your quote are "properly configured" and "minimal". When tesla changes things in their firmware, I have noticed people posting about things changing with these apps as well. I have entertained the idea of teslafi actually, but the idea of paying yearly for software in general is not something I like. I am not a fan at all of the "software as a service" model that includes yearly charges.

Does teslafi offer a "lifetime, one time" purchase option?

The operative words for me in your quote are "properly configured" and "minimal". When tesla changes things in their firmware, I have noticed people posting about things changing with these apps as well. I have entertained the idea of teslafi actually, but the idea of paying yearly for software in general is not something I like. I am not a fan at all of the "software as a service" model that includes yearly charges.

Does teslafi offer a "lifetime, one time" purchase option?

No lifetime option I'm aware of, but that makes sense since their costs are continual as a web service.

The minimal config is no joke. Maybe 5 min and it's been running smoothly across 2 cars for almost 18 mo now. So yes, a misconception .

I didn't want to have an app polling constantly information from my car and drain my battery.

I alway charge from home, so I just added a $20 Wattmetter next to my charger to compare my consumption with my elctricity bill.
how did you install that? On a nema 14-50?

asking cause I need to install something like that. I’m tempted to buy a electric range buddy for $258 just for the meter. Can’t find anything online for a diy video.

Last edited:
I wish I knew how to install this!!!!
My electrician installed it at my Nema 14-50. It was a quick install. I’m not capable of doing the install and wouldn’t want to mess with 240 volts. The wiring from the panel to the outlet in the garage my electrician did a little differently than other installs I’ve seen. He took 2 120 legs and wired them to 2 meters. I just add the 2 together to get actual consumption.

I didn't want to have an app polling constantly information from my car and drain my battery.

I alway charge from home, so I just added a $20 Wattmetter next to my charger to compare my consumption with my elctricity bill.

Same! Except I chose this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JB9B2QL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My electrician installed it at my Nema 14-50. It was a quick install. I’m not capable of doing the install and wouldn’t want to mess with 240 volts. The wiring from the panel to the outlet in the garage my electrician did a little differently than other installs I’ve seen. He took 2 120 legs and wired them to 2 meters. I just add the 2 together to get actual consumption.

I have a similar meter and only have the clamp on one leg, but measure the voltage across both legs.

Since you actually have a meter on both legs you should actually be able to answer - how much different is the consumption between the two meters? My theory is they should be almost identical, but you can provide some real world usage.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3