Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features will MCU1 owners get with FSD computer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For Dashcam, you probably need new camera's too.

I have heard from someone with more knowledge and connections than me that HW2.0/MCU1 cars will be upgraded to MCU2 as soon as HW3 wil be installed (besides the new camera's). That means that we get all the new features too.

That incorrect, you'll need mcu2 to get graphic updates like traffic cones, streaming video, functional web browser, etc.

Streaming video and browser have nothing to do with the FSD computer (this was the question), those are 100% MCU features. The cone display does, it gets enabled with the FSD computer and either MCU can show them. Sentry also works fine with the MCU1.

Are you saying the current cameras have too low resolution for FSD?
Some of the AP2.0 camera and radar components are different than AP2.5. I don't think it's resolution that is different in the cameras, I think it is color. There is no official word on whether or not they will be changed. There is also no official word that MCU1 will be upgraded to MCU2, but a lot of people who don't understand the MCU and AP computers are separate keep making the assumption. However, this guy that "knows more than him" probably doesn't know too much if that's how he worded it, because I can't imagine they're going to upgrade AP 2.0 MCU1 cars to MCU2 without upgrading AP 2.5 MCU1 cars to MCU2. Occam's Razor says that guy doesn't know the MCU and AP hardware are completely separate. IOW, either they have to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 for the AP3 upgrade to work, or they don't, and saying they will upgrade AP2 cars to MCU2 implies you don't understand that.

Streaming video and browser have nothing to do with the FSD computer (this was the question), those are 100% MCU features. The cone display does, it gets enabled with the FSD computer and either MCU can show them. Sentry also works fine with the MCU1.

I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to your comment that the MCU doesn't matter and i believe you're incorrect, it will matter. I also didn't mention sentry mode but in reality, there is a difference between MCU in sentry mode, you only get 3 camera in mcu1 but record 4 cameras in mcu2. And I'm not aware cones are displayed but I may be wrong so I'l take that, my apologies. I haven't seen cones on my screen but maybe my cameras haven't seen the right cones. Either way, I personally believe there will be significant advantages to having MCU2 when FSD comes as it's already evident by the type of updates between the different versions. But to each their own:D

Last edited:
He almost certainly has AP2.5. Late 2017 delivery.

AP1 unlikely to get dashcam. Even AP2.0 seems unlikely to get more than semtry mode.

??? Cars with AP1 (HW1) won't get a HW3 upgrade at all. Only HW2 and later have the full camera suite required to do anything with it. HW1 just has a single front camera (and a back camera), and thus can't take advantage of the new functionality in any meaningful way. (Well, in theory, they could take the leftover MCU2.5 boards and probably hack together a way of selling a dashcam feature to AP1 users, but I wouldn't expect them to bother, since without at least a couple of side cameras, the originally promised NoAP behavior would be too risky, and they've already paid out for that lawsuit.)

I'd expect cars with HW2/MCU1 to have the same features after upgrading as upgraded HW2.5/MCU1 cars.

As for dashcam, I'm pretty sure there's no technical reason not to support the dashcam with HW3, even if you're upgrading from HW2. The reason that HW2 doesn't support the dashcam feature is that the AP computer is just barely fast enough to handle the autopilot functionality, and doesn't have enough horsepower left to compress the video and shove it across the wire to the MCU (which writes it to disk). With a faster AP computer, that bottleneck goes away; HW3 can do the video encoding easily.

Of course, the dashcam and sentry mode clips on upgraded HW2 cars will presumably be black-and-white unless they do a camera upgrade as part of the HW3 upgrade. It's anybody's guess whether they will do that. We won't know for sure until they actually start doing the upgrades. I'd put the odds of a front camera update (quick, easy, cheap) at probably 50/50, with the odds of side camera updates much lower —say 20% —but that's really little more than a guess. :)

this is not true. ap2 compresses all video streams on the fly already (for use by Tesla if a trigger hits)

Are you sure? I assumed that it wrote the data to an in-memory ring buffer and then compressed it to disk as soon as AP shut down (after a triggering event).

Either way, being able to compress the video isn't the same as being able to do so without dropped frames and glitches while simultaneously taxing the CPU with pseudo-DMA from the ethernet controller to transmit the data to the MCU.

Are you sure? I assumed that it wrote the data to an in-memory ring buffer and then compressed it to disk as soon as AP shut down (after a triggering event).

Either way, being able to compress the video isn't the same as being able to do so without dropped frames and glitches while simultaneously taxing the CPU with pseudo-DMA from the ethernet controller to transmit the data to the MCU.
yes, I am sure.
AP does not shut down when triggering an event (that would be insane). Also as you can imagine storing 10 seconds @ 36fps x 8 cameras at ~2.5M per picture would require 7G of RAM where as there's only 4G available on the autopilot node. So they store this data in compressed form in the RAM buffer and when the event is triggered they dump it to emmc then.

There's plenty of free cpu on autopilot. What ther's not enough is ompression oomph to compress every frame twice - once for Tesla internal consumption and once for the dashcam, so since Tesla > you - you get nothing.

While Musk has claimed Tesla will upgrade all "FSD activated" vehicles to the new HW3 processor, and get access to the full FSD features, our 2017 S (MCU1) and 2018 X (MCU2) are still running with the HW2 processor, and aren't able to get any of the recently released FSD features, even though we purchased FSD for both vehicles years ago.

And, while Musk has talked about the HW3 upgrades we haven't received any official notification from Tesla confirming when we'll get access to the features we've purchased (likely requiring an HW3 upgrade for our 2018 X and possibly other changes for our 2017 S with MCU1).

It's (past) time for Tesla to provide an official statement to non-HW3 FSD owners as to what Tesla plans to do to provide the FSD functionality we purchased, and not continue to release new FSD features that won't work on our vehicles...

While Musk has claimed Tesla will upgrade all "FSD activated" vehicles to the new HW3 processor, and get access to the full FSD features, our 2017 S (MCU1) and 2018 X (MCU2) are still running with the HW2 processor, and aren't able to get any of the recently released FSD features, even though we purchased FSD for both vehicles years ago.

And, while Musk has talked about the HW3 upgrades we haven't received any official notification from Tesla confirming when we'll get access to the features we've purchased (likely requiring an HW3 upgrade for our 2018 X and possibly other changes for our 2017 S with MCU1).

It's (past) time for Tesla to provide an official statement to non-HW3 FSD owners as to what Tesla plans to do to provide the FSD functionality we purchased, and not continue to release new FSD features that won't work on our vehicles...

MCU and FSD are not related. if you own a Tesla with FSD, you will get all features regardless if you are MCU 1 or MCU 2. if Tesla engineers themselves are showing that a specific MCU is lagging with the more features/abilities are being added, then Tesla may opt to upgrade. For those on HW 2.0, Tesla will be upgrading your cameras to achieve Sentry Mode and better camera recognition, but that is not specific to FSD nor MCU.

Tesla is ramping up retrofits. Some have claimed that my late Feb over 50% of owners should be retrofitted. if you don't hear anything by March, schedule an appointment.

There is no Statement that can be made. As mentioned above, retrofits are being made. Be patient. Autonomous City/urban driving will not be coming until October's V11 software.

I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to your comment that the MCU doesn't matter and i believe you're incorrect, it will matter. I also didn't mention sentry mode but in reality, there is a difference between MCU in sentry mode, you only get 3 camera in mcu1 but record 4 cameras in mcu2. And I'm not aware cones are displayed but I may be wrong so I'l take that, my apologies. I haven't seen cones on my screen but maybe my cameras haven't seen the right cones. Either way, I personally believe there will be significant advantages to having MCU2 when FSD comes as it's already evident by the type of updates between the different versions. But to each their own:D

Again, mcu does nothing when it comes to driving the vehicle, besides showing some very simple visualizations on the screen. Mcu version will not matter one bit, both can handle that simple graphics. It does not matter now and never will. Just watch :)

Entertainment is another issue, there it certainly matters and the mcu1 is entirely useless.