Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the Tesla Wall Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new owner and dont have the charging setup in the garage yet, as I am also going Solar with Tesla soon they offered Wall connecter for free but I have to pay $1000 for installation... so is going with Tesla wall connecter better or Wall connecter with 15-40 plug is better?

That depends on your needs and preferences.

A hard-wired EVSE has some safety advantages; every time you add a plug and socket, that's an increased chance for something to come loose, for water to mix with electricity (especially if it's mounted outside), etc. A hard-wired EVSE is also less likely to tempt thieves if it's mounted outside.

An EVSE with a plug, though, can be more easily moved. This can be an advantage if you want to take it to a vacation home or a friend's/relative's house (but the UMC might be as good as or better for that) or if you sell your house and move to another. Using a plug may also simplify matters if you sell your Tesla and replace it with a non-Tesla EV that uses J1772.

The above is almost certainly not a complete list of advantages and disadvantages of each approach; it's just what sprang to mind.

I am a new owner and dont have the charging setup in the garage yet, as I am also going Solar with Tesla soon they offered Wall connecter for free but I have to pay $1000 for installation... so is going with Tesla wall connecter better or Wall connecter with 15-40 plug is better?
Most people who choose the plug version are do so because they want to self install and just plug it into an existing outlet. Since you're having it professionally installed, that wouldn't apply to you. Given your situation, I'd think the hard wired unit would be a pretty obvious choice. You'll still have your UMC for portable use. The plug version is limited to 40a charging. It has a lighter duty cable on it, which could be a plus for some people, but I consider a downside.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
My personal opinion I am happy with the hard wired wall connector (more amps), and like a previous post said keep the mobile cord safely in the frunk with a few adapters to expand your possibilities on charging out in the wild.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
No need for an exact measurement. I know the hardwired Wall Connector cord is thicker than the UMC cord (more amps = thicker cord). I had read that 14-50 WC cord was bit smaller than hardwired WC. Just wondered if it was same as UMC cord,
Thanks

Edit: Just saw you posted the measurements. You went above & beyond. Thanks again.

Just to sum up the cord diameters, here are our rough calculations:

UMC ... 3/8 inch cord. (32 amp max)
Wall Connector w/14-50 Plug .... 1/2 inch cord (40 amp max)
Wall Connector hardwire............ 7/8 inch cord. (80 amp max)

"With greater power there must also come greater diameter." ;)

Is the only difference between the hardwired and the one with the 14-50 plug just the AC cord/plug? With the proper AC wiring on the unit with the 14-50, could it handle 80A? I assume a cord and 14-50P connector could be installed on the unit sold for permanent mounting? it just would not be able to handle more that 40A.

Is the only difference between the hardwired and the one with the 14-50 plug just the AC cord/plug? With the proper AC wiring on the unit with the 14-50, could it handle 80A? I assume a cord and 14-50P connector could be installed on the unit sold for permanent mounting? it just would not be able to handle more that 40A.
I was thinking the same thing, but not sure how long the wait is for another refresh of stock in the store. They seems to sell out quickly, so I'm thinking of getting the hardwired version and adding a 14-50 plug onto it. would love to know what's up with the very limited stock.

I was thinking the same thing, but not sure how long the wait is for another refresh of stock in the store. They seems to sell out quickly, so I'm thinking of getting the hardwired version and adding a 14-50 plug onto it. would love to know what's up with the very limited stock.
The AC power appears to be feed from the back of the unit on the permanent install unit and comes out of the bottom on the 14-50 unit. The back plate is probably different between the two. The 24 foot cord between the 14-50 unit and the car plug might not handle 80A or even 48A? If a 14-50P was wired into the AC side on the permanent unit, it should work, just would not be as elegant; likewise, there may not be a way to set it to identify itself to the car that is can only handle 40A.

The AC power appears to be feed from the back of the unit on the permanent install unit and comes out of the bottom on the 14-50 unit. The back plate is probably different between the two. The 24 foot cord between the 14-50 unit and the car plug might not handle 80A or even 48A? If a 14-50P was wired into the AC side on the permanent unit, it should work, just would not be as elegant; likewise, there may not be a way to set it to identify itself to the car that is can only handle 40A.

The regular wall connector can be fed from the bottom as well. The cord on the 14-50 version is notably thinner than the regular one as well. You certainly could add a plug to the regular one, many people have.