Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What I Learned from My First Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't read enough about how the Nav works. It knows where you are and gives directions, but the only maps are via Google, online?

Assuming you have the tech package, there are both Google and Navigon. The Navigon system doesn't rely on internet connectivity and displays by the speedometer. The Google system displays on the 17". If you don't have the tech package, then you only have Google maps.

Assuming you have the tech package, there are both Google and Navigon. The Navigon system doesn't rely on internet connectivity and displays by the speedometer. The Google system displays on the 17". If you don't have the tech package, then you only have Google maps.

I'll have the tech package, when my car comes. So Navigon does have maps? Cool. Even if it's just on that display, it's good to see a bit about what's ahead; sometimes the instruction (e.g., bear right towards X) and reality (e.g., don't take the far-right part of the double-exit) don't line up. . . .

I'm not sure why you recommend opening the doors while parked and charging. Especially in winter! Why not turn off the HVAC (as you say) but keep the doors close, so the cabin doesn't get quite as cold? Leaving it open seems like it would exacerbate fogging when you got back in.

I reread my post and can see how it is confusing, here is a rewrite:

Don't forget to turn off your AC system when parked and have your doors and trunk opened. We were hanging out around the car drinking hot chocolate at the sledding hill with doors and trunk opened and I did not realize that the climate system was blaring away until I got back in the driver's seat. It a waste of precious energy.

I updated my post, thanks!

Thanks for the writeup, Francis. Great detail.

Fogging: as Lloyd notes, A/C is critical to defrost. When the window fogs, I typically hit the "front defrost" button and it usually goes away almost right away. When it doesn't, I look at the climate settings, and the A/C is not on - which I find curious, isn't that typically an important part of a defrost setting? I have not checked to see if A/C is on when the defroster works; but I do know it's never on when the defroster fails. So I turn A/C on, and the fog goes away. I see patpeterson has had trouble even with A/C on; but to anybody else having trouble, make sure you try A/C - it makes a huge difference in my car.

Tires: for people taking note of efficiency or driving capability from other threads; Francis is driving on Tesla's 19" wheels with the default all-season Eagles.

Route: For some reason I had assumed Francis was going to take Hwy 2. However, it was closed at some point due to snowy trees falling on cars (there were fatalities). The I-90 route is longer, speeds are higher (although Francis didn't always make use of that) and it goes over TWO passes; it definitely uses more energy.

Elevation: Leavenworth is at about 1200'. Bellevue ranges anywhere from 0' to 500'. The elevation difference no doubt played a part in the different energy use there and back, especially given the weight of a fully-loaded Model S.

Reserve: on my first EV road trip, I ran the car down to the wire a lot like Francis did here. I don't do that anymore; I find it too stressful even though it has always worked so far - there are way too many things that can go wrong. Of course that's easy for me to say; I usually plan road trips to places where there are charging stations every 150 miles. It is a lot harder when you're relying on a 30A EVSE on a side route and the family is tired of waiting for a charge. And there were some EVSEs along the way home that Francis could have stopped at, so he wasn't taking a huge risk. He at least had access cards for them all. :smile:

Last edited:
Frosting on the driver's side window is a problem and can't seem to be cleared by anything other than really cranking the cabin heat - if then. I tried aiming my left vent at the driver's door but in that position no air came out (have to look closer at it in daylight - does moving it to the left switch it off?).

For some reason the airflow on the driver's side is about 1/3 that on the passenger side, and as a result the left side of the windshield fogs / frosts over and can't be cleared.

Yeah, there's a real issue here and it needs to be resolved.

For some reason the airflow on the driver's side is about 1/3 that on the passenger side, and as a result the left side of the windshield fogs / frosts over and can't be cleared.

Sounds like it was done when the European team was doing the designing and never got fixed for North America.

Pat,

I read about your trip in La Presse or Roulez Electrique, and was shocked to see how much juice you used. The max ventilation certainly explains a good bit of it.

I am sad to say it, but if this issue is not addressed promptly, for me it is one of the very few deal-breakers, since I intend the S to be my daily driver and road-trip car year-round.

I assume you have or will report this to Tesla? Any feedback you get would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I informed Tesla about it. Another owner in Montreal reported the same issue. It really seems the ventilation is not balanced properly and 2/3 goes to the passenger side. (Should be the opposite!)

It's really annoying and dangerous.

We picked up our model S on Saturday. On Thursday we are planning on a trip to San Diego from Orange County that will be 220 miles roundtrip. The route is flat, we will make a couple of stops, and the weather probably will be in the 60s. There may be heavy traffic for some of the trip. Should we plan on charging somewhere for a while, or will we have enough range?

This strikes me as another one of those issues with the car that results (possibly) from having designers who live in California year round.

Surprising that it didn't show up in the (apparently extensive) Winter testing which Tesla has done. Perhaps something was changed later in the factory?

While it may seem obvious to do, I'd hope that those who encounter this, confirm here on the forum that they have informed Tesla Service. That is more important than just reporting it here.

We picked up our model S on Saturday. On Thursday we are planning on a trip to San Diego from Orange County that will be 220 miles roundtrip. The route is flat, we will make a couple of stops, and the weather probably will be in the 60s. There may be heavy traffic for some of the trip. Should we plan on charging somewhere for a while, or will we have enough range?

You'll probably be fine, but I always take any opportunity to charge when away from home. At least know where your various charging options are, and if you blow through range faster than you meant to (accelerating is so much fun!), you can replace some of those miles and not have to worry about it.

You'll probably be fine, but I always take any opportunity to charge when away from home. At least know where your various charging options are, and if you blow through range faster than you meant to (accelerating is so much fun!), you can replace some of those miles and not have to worry about it.

Thanks Bonnie, I just realized that we will be close to the San Diego Tesla store at lunch time, perhaps we will stop there for a charge.

I'll bet the interior blower motor is on the passenger side, and the way they're routed the ducts, the passenger side gets more blower power than the driver's side (longer duct run). If so, it's probably not an easy fix short of new HVAC duct-work.

The grill along the edge of the windshield looks more like speaker grill, and from casual observation, it doesn't look like it would direct the airflow to the windshield that well.

Thanks Bonnie, I just realized that we will be close to the San Diego Tesla store at lunch time, perhaps we will stop there for a charge.

Is Tesla leaving the Roadster HPC -> Model S adapters in their retail location chargers? Was curious about the protocol for charging at these Tesla Retail locations. Do you have to go inside and talk to the folks in the store first? FYI there are Blink chargers in the parking lot at the same mall as well as another free charger across the street. I haven't used any of these myself yet but have been scoping out the local charge locations "just in case".

I'm not sure why you recommend opening the doors while parked and charging. Especially in winter! Why not turn off the HVAC (as you say) but keep the doors close, so the cabin doesn't get quite as cold? Leaving it open seems like it would exacerbate fogging when you got back in. ...

You misread that. He's warning to watch out for that: don't be careless and leave the car open and with AC running while charging.

Yeah, there's a real issue here and it needs to be resolved.
As a workaround, can you block the passenger side? Seems like a recurring bad habit of tm's; others noted that you could only get adequate driver footwell airflow in the Roadster by blocking the passenger side (which doesn't particularly discommode the passenger, it seems).

I'll reiterate Todd's comment above: clean your windshield interiors! I had serious fogging issues on my first drive, then cleaned the windows. No problems for a while, but continuing off-gassing is getting the insides grimy again. Looks like we need to be cleaning our windshields fairly often, at least for a while.

Clearly there're some design issues to be addressed, too, but it's helpful that's there's a partial workaround for now.

Surprising that it didn't show up in the (apparently extensive) Winter testing which Tesla has done. Perhaps something was changed later in the factory?

I suspect the majority of their winter testing was related to battery function, handing and electronics functioning.

Given the reports of fogging, rear heating, a few door handles getting stuck, battery drain in cold weather, wiper design and function, I'd say the winter testing leaves a lot to be desired.

Either the testing was substandard or things have changed in the manufacturing process.

Makes me concerned that this rush to get cars out by December 31st is resulting in quality control issues.

Sent via Tapatalk.