Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is sneak preview of FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If AP2.0 owners are indeed left high and dry for good, class action lawyers will also be saying “go F yourself”. They’d better have a plan to make FSD functional on all vehicles for which it was promised and paid for. Many of us are now 3 years into ownership of FSD-equipped AP2.0 cars that we purchased largely for the promise of FSD functionality. I feel bad for those who leased early FSD-compatible cars who are now returning their cars with no FSD to speak of, despite having paid for it all these years...

Not getting the HW2 remarks... they'll get the same HW3 upgrade as everyone else with FSD... and they've got the same number and placement of cameras and sensors as 2.5 guys too (the radar is, very slightly, different, and the color filters are too, but that's about it)

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Elon says the whole release needs to go to early access first, not the FSD part specifically.

So you think the update will go to EA but the FSD sneak peak will just be a video you can watch in your car? I guess if the video was some super informative behind the scenes video that actually showed us some of the FSD development, that might be kinda interesting, but if it the FSD sneak peak is just another sped up FSD demo, that would be kinda lame IMO.

Yeah I think stop sign/light visualization would be the minimum it'd be... with a stretch goal of maybe it shows proper intersections and cross traffic in the display (not sure if possible without HW3?)
When using Smart Summon the car did create something like an augmented view on your phone, even if the car is equipped with hw 2 and 2.5...
But that’s what I can see and read on the internet, because I’m residential in The Netherlands without anything like Smart Summon.

I would hope that its more than just stop sign/traffic light visualization. That's been available to those with root for a while now. They took away the option to display it recently but they have been gathering that data for some time now on at least AP2.5 and up.

So you think the update will go to EA but the FSD sneak peak will just be a video you can watch in your car? I guess if the video was some super informative behind the scenes video that actually showed us some of the FSD development, that might be kinda interesting, but if it the FSD sneak peak is just another sped up FSD demo, that would be kinda lame IMO.

I'm not saying anything regarding the video. I'm just pointing out your statement is implying the wrong thing, which is that the EA is to test out some new FSD feature.

“FSD sneak peak” means “the absolute bare minimum that can be delivered which will let us dip our hands into that sweet deferred revenue cookie jar. Also, go f*ck yourself AP2.0 owners”

I can’t love this comment enough. Classic. Well done!

And for comments above about not understanding the frustration, even Elon is now revising his BS statement that “it’s just a computer swap” with the more accurate “it’s a thorny hardware problem.”

I'm not saying anything regarding the video. I'm just pointing out your statement is implying the wrong thing, which is that the EA is to test out some new FSD feature.

My point is that you don't need to do EA testing for just a video. So the fact that Elon mentioned EA testing would seem to imply that there is more to it than just a video. Unless, you are saying that the update will add a new AP/FSD feature (requiring EA testing) that is separate from the FSD sneak peak?

My point is that you don't need to do EA testing for just a video. So the fact that Elon mentioned EA testing would seem to imply that there is more to it than just a video. Unless, you are saying that the update will add a new AP/FSD feature (requiring EA testing) that is separate from the FSD sneak peak?

From my understanding, all Tesla updates have the roll out procedure that Elon described in his recent tweet. Validation, EA, small release, wide release, etc.

Just because Elon says that about this Xmas update doesn't mean there's some new FSD feature.

I expect at a minimum we will see the stop sign and red traffic light icons appear in our visualization displays. It will be reliable for AP 3.0 with the new AI hardware since the frame rate is much faster and DNN (Deep Neural Network) is more complex. On 2.5 less so. I can't wait for my hardware swap!

I am hoping there will be an option to turn on "Autostop" for said stop signs and traffic lights, with the driver responsible for stopping -- not the vehicle. OTOH, since I like to floor it through yellow lights when safe to do so, I probably won't let the car autostop itself. :cool:

From my understanding, all Tesla updates have the roll out procedure that Elon described in his recent tweet. Validation, EA, small release, wide release, etc.

Just because Elon says that about this Xmas update doesn't mean there's some new FSD feature.

Reactions: Joel
I got the FSD sneak preview in my car this morning! Looks like they've made much more progress than the haters thought. I'm thinking three months maybe, six months definitely until we have this in our cars. Also, it's running on an MCU1 HW2.0 car to shut up all the cynics.

Ok that's pretty good LOL, what if Elon actually means just giving us a link to this video on the Entertainment page :)

• Disagree
Reactions: diplomat33
Pretty vague statement as usual. But the way I read it was that they are about to roll something out to EAP customers after a few more days of in-house testing/validation. And THEN it will get a wide release.

Just looking at the calendar it doesn't seem overly likely to get this before the end of the year if you're not EAP. But who knows - like most of his tweets it leaves us with more questions than answer.

My only real takeaway is that they seem to be making steady progress towards some form of FSD and it seems probable that I'll get a taste of it in the first half of 2020. I'm not expecting much but I'm still thankful for the continued updates and I look forward to seeing how things evolve over the next few years.

Reactions: SalisburySam
A "sneak preview" could be an updated FSD video that plays inside your car for you to view...

This is my guess also.

Elon says the whole release needs to go to early access first, not the FSD part specifically.

Assuming the video is just one tiny part of an overall "minor bug fixes" update, it would need to go out to EA for testing before it could go out generally.

... since I like to floor it through yellow lights ...

Please don't come to my little island. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert
This is my guess also.

Assuming the video is just one tiny part of an overall "minor bug fixes" update, it would need to go out to EA for testing before it could go out generally.

Please don't come to my little island. :eek:

No worries! When visiting HI I drove slowly to take in all the scenery. My favorite was the Road to Hana. Don't fly through yellow lights anywhere if there is too much traffic or ANY pedestrians around. It is just like my downhill skiing. I wait until the slope clears before I tuck and take off. :D

Reactions: Silicon Desert