Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla's upcoming 'under your nose' announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have sent an email to European delivery department and asked if it'll be possible to upgrade my EU Sig, which I finalized in February to the Performance Plus version. I got the reply that once they have European pricing available that I will be able to upgrade to Performance Plus and also other options.
This sounds to me as if there's a bunch of options coming.

A potential service announcement could be that you'd be able to add options which haven't been available the time your car has been built for the same price as they will be available for newly ordered cars.
That would be quite different to what other automakers offer and also keep the resale value high.

The cars are all wired for parking sensors in front, and - apparently - blind spot detection.
Just in case you did not know. This hit the forum some time ago.
Patience. And virtuous parking sensors will follow. Front.
Not sure there is one for rear - just one right under your nose...nose cone.
Not sure if additional physical work or fee is involved.
Never had a car that kept getting better as I owned it.

Are the sensors there and they just need to enable it via software update? or is it just the wiring that's installed and the sensors still need to be put in?

A potential service announcement could be that you'd be able to add options which haven't been available the time your car has been built for the same price as they will be available for newly ordered cars.
That would be quite different to what other automakers offer and also keep the resale value high.

This wouldn't be anything new. This is a known part of Tesla's business model. Just look at their online store and all the things you can add onto the Roadster post delivery.

Are the sensors there and they just need to enable it via software update? or is it just the wiring that's installed and the sensors still need to be put in?
No one knows for sure if anything is there at all. At least no one who would speak up openly in the public (including this forum). It's all rumors and speculation at this point.

Are the sensors there and they just need to enable it via software update? or is it just the wiring that's installed and the sensors still need to be put in

According to this post on the Dutch only part of the forum ( Belgium and the Netherlands: After market installation - Page 6 ) the wiring is there and Tesla will provide installation service if the sensors. No word on pricing and how it will be integrated with the display... Quoted from a DS at the Eindhoven store.

The third Elon says he "won't quite talk about but he thinks is pretty cool except to say that if you're driving a model S it's right under your nose."

Now that is what I'm really curious about....it's "right under your nose.". This makes me thing there is something behind the nose cone or under your nose in the dash or perhaps new features in the software thats going to be rolling out.
Under my nose is empty air, then the seat, then the seat mechanics, then the coins which fell on the floor, then the carpet, then the rear seat ventilation (I think), then the battery. Elon must not be speaking literally. :wink:

Perhaps all the cars below Signature Performance have identical internals, and the difference between models is software only. This would explain the lack of distinctive badging between the 60 & the 85, which was weird to not do.

Newer deliveries do have an 85 badge, and you can request it at a service center. Ours was applied for free (listed as a due bill item, which is entertaining) earlier this week.

Amusingly, no matter what it is people will complain; however you want to know what Infiniti has improved about my G37 since I got it? Nothing! So whatever Tesla does is better than that!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, but seriously, I wouldn't rule out new apps, like maybe Pandora or something like that...

Parking sensors? Certainly qualify as one of the most frequently requested features, and one of the most rumoured ones, too. At the same time, to date there was no official word on parking sensors. That announcement would qualify as a real surprise on top of what we already know and expect. Also, it nicely fits the "under your nose" (cone) reference. That's where my vote goes. (FWIW I was wrong on the last announcement.)
I won! I won! *excited* :)

Not sure if this is any new info, but this is from an interview Elon did with Engadget recently.

"Musk also promises a major announcement regarding the company's Supercharger network is due in just two weeks. "It's a very exciting and dramatic -- really dramatic -- increase in the number of Superchargers and in what Superchargers can do. I think people will be really psyched." Musk assures us that the company will meet its goal of 100 Supercharger stations, initially pegged for 2015, well earlier and that usage of those stations will "always be free." Always? "They will be free forever.""

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/05/elon-musk-interview/